2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Article suggesting we may move Pick 8 to Geelong for their early picks, 14 and 17 (&24) with the idea to grab Pickett thrown up

I don't think pickett will get past the dogs at 13, if we trade down we will need to have a few targets at 14 or wont be worth it.

I still prefer to get Kemp at 8 but will back the recruiting staff to get it right.

I don't think pickett will get past the dogs at 13, if we trade down we will need to have a few targets at 14 or wont be worth it.

I still prefer to get Kemp at 8 but will back the recruiting staff to get it right.
Doggies could possibly target Weightman if he is still on the board at their pick, and I am only going off the draft order on afl.com for this comment, him at roughly 10 -20 and Pickett 20 -30 without us taking Weightman at 8 as has been suggested by them..

Article suggesting we may move Pick 8 to Geelong for their early picks, 14 and 17 (&24) with the idea to grab Pickett thrown up

Also says we’re likely to pick Jackson with 3. It reads more like the journo has spoken with someone at the Cats, not with us. I doubt we’ve given too much away to anyone at this stage and may even be throwing out some misinformation.

Also says we’re likely to pick Jackson with 3. It reads more like the journo has spoken with someone at the Cats, not with us. I doubt we’ve given too much away to anyone at this stage and may even be throwing out some misinformation.
Disagree, the media often catch wind around about this time of who clubs are targeting with early picks. I know Oliver coming from nowhere mid year to being drafted at 4 in 2015 came as no surprise on the night as the media had already been reporting it as a massive chance beforehand. Jackson to the Dees is also a seriously real chance. I still think it's ******* stupid but am resigned to it now.

That’s not a significant difference really. The value of a pick depends on each club’s needs and how they rate and rank the top 20 players in theholes on our list, than recruiting a single player at pick 8. Port on the other hand might feel the balance of their list is quite strong and they’d prefer to jump up the table to land a single elite rated talent. I would not be surprised if they are figuring high in our pick swap calculations and possibly vice versa. No other club figuring prominently in that top 20 is jumping out at me in that regard.
But then the gap
Young and Kemp my preference at 3 and 8, but if I thought we could trade with some clubs to end up with picks to get Kemp, Gould, Pickett and GWS's first next year then I would want to do it.

Not sure Young is worth more than Gould, Pickett and a first next year even if it is a late first.
This would be a wonderful draft haul but it would take a combination of good trading and perfect fortune for us to pull it off. I don’t see it happening really because surely some of our targets are taken earlier than we expect (or hope). I doubt Taylor would be willing to pull the trigger on these because we could so easily end up with egg on our faces, especially considering what we have up for pick 8. I’m certain that is pick is purely intended for Kemp.

Disagree, the media often catch wind around about this time of who clubs are targeting with early picks. I know Oliver coming from nowhere mid year to being drafted at 4 in 2015 came as no surprise on the night as the media had already been reporting it as a massive chance beforehand. Jackson to the Dees is also a seriously real chance. I still think it's ******* stupid but am resigned to it now.

True but there is still a bit of foxing that takes place. Keep in mind we may not have given up on Plan A which is to get GWS to ante up more than they want to for pick 3. Probably won’t happen but still worth making them sweat.

I don’t want Jackson either at 3. 8 maybe but not 3. Smells a bit desperate owing to our KPF stocks being thin.

That's true, but you have to consider where it comes from. I don't think anyone from the club would have said anything more to anyone than what JT said on that podcast the other week, that Jackson is one of 3 or so kids that we're interested in at Pick 3. Otherwise, it would come second hand from managers, family members and other clubs trying to piece info together. No club gives away who they're actually keen on. For all the hits the media get in their Phantom's, there is 5 times the misses.

It can go the other way in the last couple of days as well though.

Saints were linked to Petracca I think until 48 hours until draft night when there was wind that they'd decided to go with MCartin instead.
Also i remember we were heavily linked to Wines until about 3 days out before draft, before those rumours of Toumpas started flooding in.

I reckon there is still a lot to play out. I have also heard we are seriously considering a bid on Tom Green also which could change whole dynamic of draft night.

I must have read a completely different article cause it says dogs have had their eyes on someone else since before the trade period as being the reason they didnt want to give up 13 so bad. Gould and Weightman would surely be there at 14 not that i want an oversized undesized defender or the lesbian looking * who can jump high for a dwarf . But obviously the club knows more than some random supporter in myself. Id rather keep 3 and 8 for Young and Kemp. But sounds like Jackson and whatever we are after at 8 or downgrading 8 if that player is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was making the call the only trade I would look at would be trading pick 8 to Freo for Pick 10 and 22. One of Kemp, Serong, or Ash should still be there at 10. Kysaiah Pickett could maybe still be there at 22, if he isn't Elijah Taylor will almost certainly still be on the board who would be a nice alternative, he's a player with a ton of x-factor and reminds me a lot of Daniel Rioli. Freo still get their two top 10 picks and Henry so they win out too. If this deal went through and Adelaide trade pick 4 to GWS for pick 6 and 2020 first this is how I think draft night will pan out:

1. GC - Matt Rowell
2. GC - Noah Anderson
3. MELB - Hayden Young
4. GWS - Luke Jackson
5. GWS (Sydney bid) - Tom Green
6. SYD - Sam Flanders
7. ADEL - Dylan Stephens
8. FREO - Devon Robertson
9. FREO - Lachie Ash
10. FREO (Carlton bid) - Liam Henry
11. CARL - Brodie Kemp
12. MELB - Caleb Serong

Will be the last player GWS draft in 2 years if that happens

Will be the last player GWS draft in 2 years if that happens
Not at all, take Green at 5 and they have a season to work out who goes from the NEAFL talent they have tucked away. They can trade up again into the first round.

Maybe we're saying we desperately want Jackson so gc panick and recruit him imstead of Anderson.
i think we did that with Toumpas.

Worked out well for us

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Ahhh poor Toump. He was pencilled in for #2 in the draft for ages. Had been playing SANFL seniors for two full years and looked every bit a future gun. Then his hips gave way. He 'slipped' to 4 and we rightly took him as it looked a steal. But if you look back at that draft he gets a bad rap. In reality, GWS did some of the worst drafting with the strongest draft hand that year. I'd comfortably say Toump showed more than O'Rourke (#2), yet because he went to GWS he was able to go quietly into the dark...then Hawthorn naturally. Plowman (#3 fullback, dafuh?), Mayes, Jaksch, Menzel all top 12 picks.

So we've got TK/NG willing to perform live genital mutilation on stream Sponsored by Durex(c)(tm) and now rhaz is on suicide watch Sponsored by Lifeline if we draft Wacko Jacko. Anybody else on the Excessive Masochism Express?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back