2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand how people get sucked into beautiful kicks of the footy at junior levels. The game is so much more open, players don't run as hard both ways. It's so much easier to look like an elite kick when there's less pressure and more open space on the field. If Young's only attribute is an elite kick, I'm not sold.

I don't understand how people get sucked into beautiful kicks of the footy at junior levels. The game is so much more open, players don't run as hard both ways. It's so much easier to look like an elite kick when there's less pressure and more open space on the field. If Young's only attribute is an elite kick, I'm not sold.

If you’re not sold on Young’s elite kicking, what do you then make of Jackson hoofing it end over end with zero regard for distance or accuracy?

Young's also incredibly composed. I agree that kicking doesn't necessarily translate to the higher levels due to increased pressure, less space, but composure at the lower levels is still the best predictor for composure in the AFL.

Composure & good decision making are arguably more important than being a technically sound/aesthetically pleasing kick at AFL level. I remember playing juniors against Ben Jacobs, he was one of the best kicks you'd see, but his action has quite a long wind up and he often got caught out at AFL level not being able to execute his kicks with less time and space.

iMO the AFL should just get rid of the draft and release all 100 draftees at the same time Hunger Games style R1, Richmond v Carlton and then let recruiters pick in reverse ladder order based on what they demonstrate. It's unclear which side any given draftee would be playing for, but that's what makes it fun.

How come Young is a 100% rolled gold certainty yet other players aren't? Because he hit targets at U18 level?

What's his contested possession rate? Because it's been proven blokes with an average contested disposal rate at U18 level can't stand the kitchen as the grow up.

I wanted Aaron Francis at #4 because he looked like a Goddard clone at junior level, beautiful kick of the footy but can't bring any of it to the top level

Nearly exactly 50/50 CP and UP.

Wins loose balls, breaks tackles by making the tackler stretch with his agility and seems to have strong legs so needs a solid tackle to bring him down. Also good by hand if he does run into trouble.

How come Young is a 100% rolled gold certainty yet other players aren't? Because he hit targets at U18 level?

What's his contested possession rate? Because it's been proven blokes with an average contested disposal rate at U18 level can't stand the kitchen as the grow up.

I wanted Aaron Francis at #4 because he looked like a Goddard clone at junior level, beautiful kick of the footy but can't bring any of it to the top level
Duh, because Mahoney, Taylor etc have based all their recruiting knowledge off youtube/afl.com clips spanning 3 minutes from 3 games! It's the new recruiting method.

iMO the AFL should just get rid of the draft and release all 100 draftees at the same time Hunger Games style R1, Richmond v Carlton and then let recruiters pick in reverse ladder order based on what they demonstrate. It's unclear which side any given draftee would be playing for, but that's what makes it fun.
I prefer the nets, tridents swords approach. Last man standing goes to 18th team.

Bit of mail that Hawthorn are trying their best to get both McAsey & Brodie Kemp this year, hence that pick swap with North.

If you’re not sold on Young’s elite kicking, what do you then make of Jackson hoofing it end over end with zero regard for distance or accuracy?

Elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Demons fans. I come in peace.

The below quotes probably sums up the prevailing views on whether you should or shouldn't place a strategic bid on Green at 3 and I'm just wondering what the mood of your supporter base is on this issue?

Because you can't play Russian roulette with a top 3 draft pick, you simply have to take the best available option. GWS are just 1/17 other teams, it's not worth the risk of weakening yourself just to maybe weaken 1/17th of your competition

That's one view and it's a valid one but if you're Melbourne and backing yourself to return to the top rungs of the ladder next season with aspirations of winning a Premiership in the near future do you really want to hand one of your strongest competitors for that flag the ability to land 2 top 5 talents in this years draft?

The below quotes probably sums up the prevailing views on whether you should or shouldn't place a strategic bid on Green at 3 and I'm just wondering what the mood of your supporter base is on this issue?

The thing is, out of all the players available at 3 I would want Green the most. To me that's not a strategic bid to strangle GWS and their position. I want to draft best available. And Greene IS that at 3. He can also rest forward as a strong contested mark who can hit the scoreboard. Yes we have a lot of inside beast mids, but you don't turn someone down of that size, height and drawn comparisons to Cripps. He is a must at 3. And if GWS don't match I will be even happier.

I think we need to bid. Best available.

I'm with the first quote there I think. At pick 3, when it's effectively the first live pick in the draft, you've got to go with whoever you've got at the top of your draft board, if its Green, put in a bid. I reckon you need to worry about your own backyard first and foremost.

Does Green even play next year for the Giants? Who is he forcing out? Jackson probably fits in better.

Does Green even play next year for the Giants? Who is he forcing out? Jackson probably fits in better.

Don't see Cameron, Finlayson or Himmelberg getting dropped for the lanky 18 year old. Would also be odd to lead a charge towards back-to-back Grand Finals with an undersized, skinny 18 year old ruckman. Could be a straight replacement for Tomlinson, though.

I want the club to do a deal with Sydney along the lines of P3 for P5 &P25’sh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back