Game Day 2019 AFL Draft Day- RD1, RD2 + beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about XOH, I'd prefer Caldwell and Hately, both of whom may be squeezed out with the arrival of Green this year.

GWS also have (yet) another academy midfielder (can’t recall his name but he was bloody handy in the all stars game earlier this year) to take in the next draft as well which may leave even less space. Caldwell amongst others should be a target. Hately I imagine will be looked at by the SA clubs.

GWS also have (yet) another academy midfielder (can’t recall his name but he was bloody handy in the all stars game earlier this year) to take in the next draft as well which may leave even less space. Caldwell amongst others should be a target. Hately I imagine will be looked at by the SA clubs.

Joshua Green or Jack Driscoll ?

Tom Greens brother.

I think you try and prize Hately out..he is very good but him Hopper Ward Cogs Taranto De Boer etc are all very similar inside mids and not sure they can fit them all in the same side. Him or Caldwell would interest me.

Joshua Green or Jack Driscoll ?
Tom Greens brother.

I think you try and prize Hately out..he is very good but him Hopper Ward Cogs Taranto De Boer etc are all very similar inside mids and not sure they can fit them all in the same side. Him or Caldwell would interest me.

My mistake. Was thinking of Braeden Campbell - but he’s Swans academy not Giants.

Tom Greens brother.

Im not disminishing those two..I have said before id like both... Could we move Hately to vic as his choice? And who we need to add will become more obvious in another 12 months . I have liked XOH as a junior but his lack of GWS game time means he may well be a steak knives type deal... and there will be others..

Im not disminish those tow..I have said before id like both... Could we move Hately to vic as his choice? And who we need to add will become more obvious in another 12 months . I have liked XOH as a junior but his lack of GWS game time means he may well be a steak knives type deal... and there will be others..

I’d be v surprised if we went for, let alone landed, both Caldwell and Hately. XOH and Caldwell a bit more realistic but even that’s optimistic. I’d just go hard for Caldwell if unsigned as first priority.

We want to keep picks for a couple of the good kids, particularly knowing the Falcons have a useful crop with Bruhn, Gadsby, Gribble, Lazaro, Walsh etc..

I’d be v surprised if we went for, let alone landed, both Caldwell and Hately. XOH and Caldwell a bit more realistic but even that’s optimistic. I’d just go hard for Caldwell if unsigned as first priority.

We want to keep picks for a couple of the good kids, particularly knowing the Falcons have a useful crop with Bruhn, Gadsby, Gribble, Lazaro, Walsh etc..

Caldwell Hately and XOH are all currently unsigned.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see that status quo remain for quite a while yet too. I’m sure that most clubs will be in the ears of their respective managers sensing an opportunity to prize them away.

Surely PA and Adel will go hard for Hately. I’d be disappointed if we haven’t expressed our interest in all 3. Would be happy just getting Caldwell. I’m not sure with Constable and now Stephens whether the other two are as critical. Caldwell the one that would best compliment our existing young bunch imo.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be surprised to see that status quo remain for quite a while yet too. I’m sure that most clubs will be in the ears of their respective managers sensing an opportunity to prize them away.

Surely PA and Adel will go hard for Hately. I’d be disappointed if we haven’t expressed our interest in all 3. Would be happy just getting Caldwell. I’m not sure with Constable and now Stephens whether the other two are as critical. Caldwell the one that would best compliment our existing young bunch imo.

pretty much it ... we will see as the next 12 months take shape who we may be interested in. XOH has leadership potential but so did GHS.

Its seems tasty ..but I cant remember us really going ott for Falcons in one draft..

The most mermorable way I heard it descibed was by swells when he said they trade their 2 R1's , 2R2 for Kelly our R3's ...

But as expected the deal becomes a blur as it diverges into a multitude of outcomes.. My guess in years to come most media will probably go for the easiest representation ... and who ever we get with the 2 WC R1 picks will be referenced back to Kelly.
The media angle will be an interesting one to follow you're right. If WCE has a diabolical injury run and CS and the two 1sts next year become something special and the narrative is we took WCE for a ride. Our picks fail and WCE get some silverware in the next few years and the reverse would be reported. The reality is no one knows anything for certain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, Ablett and Bartel in 2001 the most I can remember in one draft.

Well this one must be thinking about joining his brother... Blues already have a few talls..

Sam Walsh’s brother Henry and father-son hopefuls train with Carlton ahead of draft year
Get excited Blues fans – there’s another Walsh in town. Sam’s brother Henry joined a host of father-sons at Carlton training this week. And he chose to train with his brother over another Victorian club.

We seems to nearly always draft one from Falcons or our VFL always ... Stewart , Henry and Simpson (2016) sort of thing .... so as much as there may be 4 to 5 draftable falcons ... to draft two would be a lot..

Unless they play 20 games next year then pass and a bona fided best 22 player.

GWS have been the masters of passing off average footballers for very decent picks to keep the cycle going of the early gifts they received. They don’t muck around

If happily keep taking overs trading one of the picks next year back to consistently see us taking 2 1st round picks a year.

Unless they play 20 games next year then pass and a bona fided best 22 player.

GWS have been the masters of passing off average footballers for very decent picks to keep the cycle going of the early gifts they received. They don’t muck around

If happily keep taking overs trading one of the picks next year back to consistently see us taking 2 1st round picks a year.

I think this is a valid pov ... players picked early do not always transition into top10 list players... and some of the ones who have departed GWS have struggled to become best 20 at other less quality clubs. At a min .. we should be selective and not pay overs based on draft ranking.

Id also say GWS have done a good job sorting the wheat from the carf ..if good enough like Taranto they have gotten games. Occasionally players like Finlayson have taken time to break in... and sometimes players have struggled for opportunity...but ..if they struggle there ..why wouldn't they struggle with us..

IF we trade for players that have not really been able to come in and thin end of the wedge their way into their best 22..then we should look at something like the trade done to get Bonar. P11 in 2017 ..two years and 6 games later.. a future third-round pick <> Aiden Bonar and a future fourth-round pick

I think this is a valid pov ... players picked early do not always transition into top10 list players... and some of the ones who have departed GWS have struggled to become best 20 at other less quality clubs. At a min .. we should be selective and not pay overs based on draft ranking.

Id also say GWS have done a good job sorting the wheat from the carf ..if good enough like Taranto they have gotten games. Occasionally players like Finlayson have taken time to break in... and sometimes players have struggled for opportunity...but ..if they struggle there ..why wouldn't they struggle with us..

IF we trade for players that have not really been able to come in and thin end of the wedge their way into their best 22..then we should look at something like the trade done to get Bonar. P11 in 2017 ..two years and 6 games later.. a future third-round pick <> Aiden Bonar and a future fourth-round pick

Best 22 is preferred but its not essential its all about backing your talent ID...guys like Setterfield and Marchbank were not clear best 22 at GWS but have gone on to be pretty good players at their 2nd clubs.

Best 22 is preferred but its not essential its all about backing your talent ID...guys like Setterfield and Marchbank were not clear best 22 at GWS but have gone on to be pretty good players at their 2nd clubs.
For sure .. underlying talent.. and if we are willing to draft later maturing players like Stewart and Atkins etc.. then we have to be level headed that not all players will be ready and able to be what they may one day be at 19.....
Moneyball /value/ bargain basement what ever you want to call it ... it gives one an option to quickly add multiples ..maybe at the cost of one kid who is younger and perhaps not even as good if asked to play against men..

But I dont think we need to look further than 1 or 2 players ..and not forget drafting our own selections... especially if there is strong group of options from VC perhaps Falcon types..More than anything it may give us a chance to be more discerning in type based on need. The next two years on top of the last 5 should give us a chance to have enough raw talent.

I feel we have done a reasonable job 2016-19 and now we probably have the semblance of youth on our list that should be able to ensure their is not cliff we fall off due to decrepitude.. now the task sits strongly in the can we find a top5 top10 player. No FS , No early picks is the potential weaklink in this build... yet if we had picked some of these early picks that GWS have ..it may have crippled us ... no doubt its russian doll ..the list build biz.

I was not sure of what thread to put this in. This is Buckenara's assessment of the recent draft.
Mods may move it to a more appropriate place.

GEELONG
DRAFT PICKS

16. Cooper Stephens: 188cm 83kg, Midfielder, Geelong Falcons

19. Sam De Koning: 200cm 85kg, Defender, Dandenong Stingrays

41. Francis Evans: 182cm 78kg, Forward, Calder Cannons

50. Cameron Taheny: 185cm 80kg, Forward, Norwood

ROOKIE PICKS

14. Bradley Close: 181cm, 68kg, Forward, Glenelg

27: Oscar Brownless: 186cm, 75kg, Midfielder, Geelong

35: Lachie Henderson: 196cm, 98kg, Defender, Geelong

Buckenara says: Typical of ‘Wellsy’ (list boss Stephen Wells) to pick the smoky of the draft in Francis Evans at pick 41 out of the Brunswick amateurs. It’s a punt but watch this space. He’s shown serious signs as a player in his two games for Calder Cannons where he kicked five goals before getting injured.

Cameron Taheny at pick 50 is a steal.
I really like him and had him rated at 29 so it’s no wonder the Cats traded up the draft order (in a deal with Essendon for picks 63 and future third and fourth-round picks) to snap him up as a guy who can create something from nothing inside 50 – the type of player the Cats lack.

Sam De Koning will have a development year next year but Taheny and Cooper Stephens can play next year.

Buckenara’s verdict: Another job well done by Stephen Wells and his team but very surprising not to see them grab a ruckman from a state league. Getting pick 11 from Gold Coast in next year’s draft in a trade for pick 27 was exceptional. Always thinking ahead.

Cameron Taheny was a smart pick-up by the Cats.
Cameron Taheny was a smart pick-up by the Cats.

Link

If the video of Melb at the draft is anything to go by then Swans trades up to snatch Gould before us.

And the Swans carried on about Gould’s weight at the combine then grabbed him for themselves lol.
Shifty.
Wouldn't mind us get Hately, big upside a big talent, before he does a Hopper!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back