Game Day 2019 AFL Draft Day- RD1, RD2 + beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick read of this article suggests 4 of the best 10 draft starters next year have F/S or academy ties. From Swans, GCS , Adelaide and Bulldogs.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-30/2020-vision-cal-twomeys-10-young-guns-to-watch

Assuming that this is the ratio that exists whatever players form the top 10 next year then 4 will be compromised draftees. If they are from the bottom 10 clubs for 2020 they will push ahead of pick 11 making it pick 15. If Swans and Bulldogs (say)make the 8 then they don't push back our pick ......so it becomes 13.

[Someone might like to confirm thats how our pick 11 will operate ('cause I am still not sure)].
Good chance we trade 1 or maybe even 2 of our first rounders for ready made talent (hopefully 22-25 age range) if we do

So I wonder, with Griggs on board, did he get in their ears and say we need more Small Forwards that can push up the ground and pressure and rebound and score? Must be good in the air and at ground and be quick...

Afterall, we drafted three small/medium forwards - Taheny, Evans, Close. Not to mention J Stevens can play forward.

Exactly what I was thinking. It makes the picks we did make a lot more sense.

A quick read of this article suggests 4 of the best 10 draft starters next year have F/S or academy ties. From Swans, GCS , Adelaide and Bulldogs.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-30/2020-vision-cal-twomeys-10-young-guns-to-watch

Assuming that this is the ratio that exists whatever players form the top 10 next year then 4 will be compromised draftees. If they are from the bottom 10 clubs for 2020 they will push ahead of pick 11 making it pick 15. If Swans and Bulldogs (say)make the 8 then they don't push back our pick ......so it becomes 13.

[Someone might like to confirm thats how our pick 11 will operate ('cause I am still not sure)].
Im not sure but on the podcast they said its locked in at 11

Of course it is PO.
It is after the 10 teams who missed the finals and those who made it.
You can put in ifs, buts and maybe's if there is a Tom Green scenario but it is still pick 11 before any such scenario's of doom & gloom that has been forecast 12 months ahead by "the sky falling club" with their dire warnings of catastrophe lol.
Relax and lets see what pans out.
For what we know it might end up being 11-12-13 or 9-10-11 given that the Blues Hawks Power & Bombers are all on their upward trajectory by pundits in the AFL media.
Imagine that..??. Picks 8-9-11... Geezuz!! the place will have Scott's head on the stake along with a few others lol.

We are making up for our recent lack of decent small forwards.
Over-compensating? Or gearing up for a Richmond style game plan?
Three of last four premierships won by pressure teams, largely off back of mids and small forwards who can win their own ball, have good goal sense, with great closing speed and tackling, ability to spread and move the ball quickly and sharp foot skills.

Although Aitkins, Dalh, Rohan were good acquisitions in that direction this year, more were needed. Expect only a small probability that later picks will get to the desired standard, so sensible to recruit three.

Purely from perspective of attributes, I’m happy with this draft - we needed elite contest (Stephens) and good foot skills and speed (Evens, Taheny and Close) and development depth for tall marking (De Koning).

The Ruck will be an interesting challenge - if our motley crew can be sufficient in limiting influence (unlike Blitz v Grundy) and hurt a little the other way it might get us through but regardless we must pick up a ruck with good potential in 2020. Wouldn’t be surprised if we go one in mid season draft if get a LTI.
The ruck and the wing. Still would've liked another winger on the list from this draft crop. Although, I believe Close was playing on the wing later in the season, and I think Evans can definitely play further up the ground. Taheny looks like a natural forward, that perhaps could be a half back flanker too, but more so a forward.

Don’t be surprised if we go early for a young promising ruck... enter Geelong falcons Henry Walsh (younger brother of Sam); already 201cm. Apparently next years’ falcons destined to be as many good ones as drafted from 2001. Many ppl called for Cooper Stephens for us in his bottom age year; maybe this guy is another we look at especially given our needs.

Don’t be surprised if we go early for a young promising ruck... enter Geelong falcons Henry Walsh (younger brother of Sam); already 201cm. Apparently next years’ falcons destined to be as many good ones as drafted from 2001. Many ppl called for Cooper Stephens for us in his bottom age year; maybe this guy is another we look at especially given our needs.

Will certainly need to draft/trade for a ruck next year. The fact that we didn’t makes me wonder whether there are plans in tow for a current AFL ruckman to join us at the end of next season? We’ve gone from having too many to too few in a short time. But, we need a good one for a change.

Of course it is PO.
It is after the 10 teams who missed the finals and those who made it.
You can put in ifs, buts and maybe's if there is a Tom Green scenario but it is still pick 11 before any such scenario's of doom & gloom that has been forecast 12 months ahead by "the sky falling club" with their dire warnings of catastrophe lol.
Relax and lets see what pans out.
For what we know it might end up being 11-12-13 or 9-10-11 given that the Blues Hawks Power & Bombers are all on their upward trajectory by pundits in the AFL media.
Imagine that..??. Picks 8-9-11... Geezuz!! the place will have Scott's head on the stake along with a few others lol.

What i meant is its a pick after all the non finalists (that part is locked in) but it will shift back if any of those clubs match top 10 bids. So it may end up say 15ish.

Will certainly need to draft/trade for a ruck next year. The fact that we didn’t makes me wonder whether there are plans in tow for a current AFL ruckman to join us at the end of next season? We’ve gone from having too many to too few in a short time. But, we need a good one for a change.

Well if us offering 4 years to Goldy is a guide we will try again for a readymade ruck next year.

Quality rucks at the moment are unfortunately scarce. Hard to see us grabbing at least a B grade ruckman via trade/free agency as clubs wouldn’t let them go for cheap, let alone at all. Best way of getting one is through the draft and developing them (at least at this point in time).

Quality rucks at the moment are unfortunately scarce. Hard to see us grabbing at least a B grade ruckman via trade/free agency as clubs wouldn’t let them go for cheap, let alone at all. Best way of getting one is through the draft and developing them (at least at this point in time).

Tend to agree. Takes patience but worth it in the end. All the best rucks currently (Goldstein, Grundy, Gawn, NicNat) were all drafted by their current clubs. Think we need to follow suit.

Tend to agree. Takes patience but worth it in the end. All the best rucks currently (Goldstein, Grundy, Gawn, NicNat) were all drafted by their current clubs. Think we need to follow suit.
It may be left field but looking at where we have gone regarding rucks in the last few years, we may not have the ability to develop young rucks.

Jackson looked to me like a next gen ruck, good luck to him & the D's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don’t you think that is?
I actually don't have the confidence any more.

From 2015 on, we have had so many 'rucks' drafted or traded in. How many of them have been better than stop gap?

Edit - It's been longer than that but I had posted a sarcastic pic reflecting the issue in '15.

Just because you can play the position does not mean you will be able to coach it.

Last edited:
Three of last four premierships won by pressure teams, largely off back of mids and small forwards who can win their own ball, have good goal sense, with great closing speed and tackling, ability to spread and move the ball quickly and sharp foot skills.

Although Aitkins, Dalh, Rohan were good acquisitions in that direction this year, more were needed. Expect only a small probability that later picks will get to the desired standard, so sensible to recruit three.

Purely from perspective of attributes, I’m happy with this draft - we needed elite contest (Stephens) and good foot skills and speed (Evens, Taheny and Close) and development depth for tall marking (De Koning).

The Ruck will be an interesting challenge - if our motley crew can be sufficient in limiting influence (unlike Blitz v Grundy) and hurt a little the other way it might get us through but regardless we must pick up a ruck with good potential in 2020. Wouldn’t be surprised if we go one in mid season draft if get a LTI.

And all 3 (Evans, Taheny, Close) score goals from congestion. As good as Dalh and Aitkins were last year they weren’t big goal scorers...that was more Miers and Ablett. And from the video on the cats website discussing the selection of Close...I get the impression, from the discussion between Wells and Scott, we were also targeting endurance...ie the ability to work up and down the ground from our wings/high forwards!

Last edited:
What i meant is its a pick after all the non finalists (that part is locked in) but it will shift back if any of those clubs match top 10 bids. So it may end up say 15ish.

That’s what I thought too Pure but if you listen to the draft podcast Troy Selwood says twice that part of the attraction of the trade was that pick 11 was fixed and it’s position cannot change??

I was about to comment on this , we can rule these guys out ...

Braeden Campbell , Sydney Swans Academy/NSW-ACT
Alex Davies , Gold Coast Academy/Cairns/Queensland
Luke Edwards , Glenelg/South Australia .. (FSon)
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan , Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Country (Dogs)

maybe dazbroncos could drop this into the 2020 thread at his convenience ... having so many early picks and the constant down grading of next years draft by some "compromised" etc ... I think we dont want to lose any of the info on the 2020 group.. cause I think , ..Yes there will be talented already committed to clubs but imo .. just like this year it will be better than some think.. Hollands is a RIPPER.
I think we will be a great position with all these academy picks to do small trades like Freo and GCS did to turn those 3 picks into 4 or 5. I mean two clubs already go in with deficits.

We know clubs go mental to move up 2 spots just so they can take an extra player. Trades like 11 for 15 + 20

Just need clubs to bloody bid on these kids!!!

That’s what I thought too Pure but if you listen to the draft podcast Troy Selwood says twice that part of the attraction of the trade was that pick 11 was fixed and it’s position cannot change??

It’s fixed to 11 before the draft but draft rules apply after that. If academy and FS picks come then it could move down or theoretically up depending on when they come.

We will get the the 11th best “live” player guaranteed.

What he means is that end of season it will stay pick 11 regardless of where any sides end up. Then if we have the scenario of say this year's draft with bids on Liam Henry and Tom Green in the top 10 then the pick ends up pick 13 etc. Free agency compo picks that are first rounders given to a bottom 10 side will also push it out

What he means is that end of season it will stay pick 11 regardless of where any sides end up. Then if we have the scenario of say this year's draft with bids on Liam Henry and Tom Green in the top 10 then the pick ends up pick 13 etc. Free agency compo picks that are first rounders given to a bottom 10 side will also push it out

It’s fixed to 11 before the draft but draft rules apply after that. If academy and FS picks come then it could move down or theoretically up depending on when they come. We will get the the 11th best “live” player guaranteed.

Yeah I get all that and that was my original belief too...but what I don’t understand is his emphasis on that it’s different to other picks because it’s fixed. If it moves back with matched bids, which is what I think you guys are saying, doesn’t that make it the same as other picks???

Yeah I get all that and that was my original belief too...but what I don’t understand is his emphasis on that it’s different to other picks because it’s fixed. If it moves back with matched bids, which is what I think you guys are saying, doesn’t that make it the same as other picks???
Yeah it is but we know it starts at 11. All other first round picks are an added gamble being they are floating for another year and then move again with bids.

What they mean by fixed is its not tied to where gc finishes on the ladder. Every pick can shuffle down with academy bids as ours did this year.

Because normal compo picks (fa etc) are tied to where the team finishes in that round. This one isnt. Thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back