Game Day 2019 AFL Draft Day- RD1, RD2 + beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In think YOTC may have expressed slightly off par ... what is the facts atm.... do GWS have a draft deficit for 2020? And if , as predicted the have another group of academy players , Greens brother ec ... one would think they would be interested in trading out an under used asset like Caldwell and XOH to thicken their picks and points .

I can't say anything about their academy players but if they have many they'll just have to collect latish picks and fill the their last free list spots with reject mature players.

Some kept suggesting that Selwood may have retired this year had we gone all the way - I know he's contracted through to 2021 but thinking that won't stop some making the same suggesting against over the next 10 months

Please note - I don't think he'll retire

Tuohy could be an interesting case -turns 30 next week, is out of contract and could he find himself in competition for a spot with the continued development of the younger guys coming through?

Some kept suggesting that Selwood may have retired this year had we gone all the way - I know he's contracted through to 2021 but thinking that won't stop some making the same suggesting against over the next 10 months

Please note - I don't think he'll retire

Tuohy could be an interesting case -turns 30 next week, is out of contract and could he find himself in competition for a spot with the continued development of the younger guys coming through?

I was struck by how defensive Selwood seemed when he was asked about retirement, said about being contracted and clearly didn't like being asked the question. I suspect he might, like Scarlett and Ling, want to go before it ever becomes a general conversation, so it is a matter of balancing that with the ambition to do whatever it takes to be a premiership captain. I do sometimes feel that when he is out there, simply because he is so amazingly tough, the other mids relax ever so slightly and don't do the leadership jobs - but that's for a different thread.

Tuohy seems to me to be hanging by a thread, constituted mainly by charm. We cannot keep picking nine defenders, and for me, several who were well behind him at the start of the year have gone past him. His run isn't going to get any better... would love to see the ztuohy forward experiment end and his place be taken by a younger, faster player.

I also suspect we will lose one or two of the "22-30" players who can find greener grass or who are not thought likely to be part of a high achieving team: coming out of a good program seems to mean that our players are picked up whereas those from other clubs might not be. My benchmark for judging retention is always whether a young player plays fewer games than they did the previous year (excluding injury, e.g. Fogarty). On that criterion, Bews, Parsons, Simpson and Z. Guthrie will all be hoping to have better years, and the 2018 crop who have not played in the ones yet will be wanting to get at least 1-3 games: Jarvis, Kennerley, Tarca, Brownless. I hope they all do, but it's unlikely. Bews I think is contracted but the others I've mentioned seem not to be, and the Cats seem to like a hih turnover (contra all the comments on here about "list cloggers").

The other element in there is injury: Cats have been a bit more ruthless about cutting young injured players than since the days of carrying Menzel, McCarthy, Vardy, et al. So I suspect even Cockatoo has been given a minimum no. of games or it's off to Brisbane ...

(Then I hate myself for even thinking about it when we've only just had the draft ...:think:)

Finlayson, XOH and Caldwell I would be happy to chase...I think Cameron will sign next year to stay sadly

Agree on all of that. We need Cameron and we should push hard but i think he will stay. They have some good other young talent though.

And all 3 (Evans, Taheny, Close) score goals from congestion. As good as Dalh and Aitkins were last year they weren’t big goal scorers...that was more Miers and Ablett. And from the video on the cats website discussing the selection of Close...I get the impression, from the discussion between Wells and Scott, we were also targeting endurance...ie the ability to work up and down the ground from our wings/high forwards!
After seeing the highlights on Close, I can definitely see him developing into a Winger. The question is whether he can build his frame and improve his endurance, otherwise he has all the tools, good sidestep, pace, kick, and can mark overhead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are we predicting for retirements next year?

Ablett and Taylor. Tuohy and Hawkins 1 year deals.
Hendo 50/50. Stanley 1 year deal unless we bring a quality ruck in. Menegola 2 years unless he takes a bigger FA offer elsewhere.
If i had to guess the delists Parsons Fort Jarvis and Cockatoo if he gets injured.
Zuthrie Simpson Tarca Kennerley Schlensog Okunbor OB all need good years or they are gone depending on how many spots we need to clear.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/28191579/afl-draft-************-top-20-prospects-2020

Looks to be some god KPFs in next year’s crop! Strange, maybe Wells and Co. know what they’re doing?

Serious question but what do kids playing in the TAC cup system with parents that played footy. What extra development are these academies providing. Looks like it’s just a case of trying to fence any kid who has a parent born overseas or has an indigenous heritage then they are following the pathways program as every other Tom, Dick and Harry

I get why Sydney and Bris had academy’s but seriously how many players are the Vic clubs churning out

This system is a joke.

Ablett and Taylor. Tuohy and Hawkins 1 year deals.
Hendo 50/50. Stanley 1 year deal unless we bring a quality ruck in. Menegola 2 years unless he takes a bigger FA offer elsewhere.
If i had to guess the delists Parsons Fort Jarvis and Cockatoo if he gets injured.
Zuthrie Simpson Tarca Kennerley Schlensog Okunbor OB all need good years or they are gone depending on how many spots we need to clear.
Tom will get 2 he's traveling fine,agree on Ablett and Taylor.Tuohy could use an injury free season and a bit of form to get another contract some good young players putting pressure on him,as for the rest their fate is in their own hands.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/28191579/afl-draft-************-top-20-prospects-2020

Looks to be some god KPFs in next year’s crop! Strange, maybe Wells and Co. know what they’re doing?
Every single year it’s the same story of a weak draft. Come next year it will be “good players all the way to 30”

Every single year it’s the same story of a weak draft. Come next year it will be “good players all the way to 30”
Jack Ginnivan
Ginnivan is one of the premier ball users of the 2020 draft crop. He places kicks precisely out in front of targets to lead onto and when he has ball in hand there is a sense he will make something happen. Ginnivan draws high free kicks at will, is clean at ground level, shows football smarts and is dangerous around goal.

fit right in! ;);):D

All I took from that is...how do we get our hands on Jack Macrae’s little brother. If he’s tracking better at the same age then I want in!

All I took from that is...how do we get our hands on Jack Macrae’s little brother. If he’s tracking better at the same age then I want in!
tell him to "break a leg"?

Caldwell and XOH for pick 11 thanks

I like both players ..its fair to say I have pumped the tyres on XOH for a while ... but would I trade P11 for both them. Its a moving template...who knows how many mids do we need to replace ..what either player do in 2020 , who will be available in the draft etc.

IF both players fail to play much at all in 2020.. id say no. If both players come in and dominate P11 might be unders. Would we have a spot for both ..who do we lose ? The potential to replace guys who a good ordinaries with much better potential long term players would be tempting ..but if neither do much this year maybe they are only good ordinaries footballer in the afl as well.

Listening to info about the next group Im encouraged that Swells has in mind that if he does have to go to draft that the Falcons might have 3 players in the top20...including Henrys brother... and Walshs brother may be pushing for a pick in the front half of the draft as well... and I wonder what Carlton do about that... I dont not think they need him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back