2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

No Melksham for lots of last year really hurt our forward line IMO. In 2018 he was the link man, 50-80m out, that was capable of drilling targets i50. His entries when fit and firing in 2018 vs the slow, misplaced, bombed in entries of 2019 was another reason our KPF's struggled
Melk was number one in the AFL for goal assists. He probably should have been AA he was that good.
Bang.

Exactly right. Melk (and Hannan) were huge outs. Along with a number of others (ie. AVB).
Yeah Hannan rediscovering his best would be huge. He's so agile at ground level but also able to fly for marks. Him and Fritts are our 2 most natural forwards.

No Melksham for lots of last year really hurt our forward line IMO. In 2018 he was the link man, 50-80m out, that was capable of drilling targets i50. His entries when fit and firing in 2018 vs the slow, misplaced, bombed in entries of 2019 was another reason our KPF's struggled
Absolutely agree. He is so important to our forward line. Wins the footy and makes something of it. AVB also an important part of our team. If only he could get out there.

Fair enough D16. I just think a Jenkins or someone of that quality (I realise he’s no A grader) was needed for 2020 and that the Brown recruitment smacks of desperation. I can’t see us making the eight next season with the forward group we’re going in with. Unless the Weid comes on in leaps and bounds it’s just not going to be potent enough. That’s a huge ‘unless’ to gamble on.

Luckily Jackson will come in and kick 50 in his first year.

Interesting to see the video the official MFC Facebook page just uploaded. Live footage in the Melbourne box from Draft Night 1.

We seem pretty smug about selecting both Jackson and Pickett - no surprises there.

What I found interesting was that we were heavily into Mitch Georgiadis and Deven Robertson. The former went well before our pick 30 but the latter you see us try unsuccessfully to move up the order to get.

We offer Richmond pick 28, a future 4th, and a swap of future 2nds to get their pick 21. Unsurprisingly, it's rejected pretty quickly.

Interesting to see the video the official MFC Facebook page just uploaded. Live footage in the Melbourne box from Draft Night 1.

We seem pretty smug about selecting both Jackson and Pickett - no surprises there.

What I found interesting was that we were heavily into Mitch Georgiadis and Deven Robertson. The former went well before our pick 30 but the latter you see us try unsuccessfully to move up the order to get.

We offer Richmond pick 28, a future 4th, and a swap of future 2nds to get their pick 21. Unsurprisingly, it's rejected pretty quickly.
It was an interesting watch. Robertson not at all the player we need but he was a massive slider. Rivers was a slider also. JT thought Richmond would get him.

That’s awesome viewing... puts some great perspective on what they were thinking. Also interesting dynamics in the room. I’d be interesting if they live streamed the feed on a 30 min delay so you could actually watch it in parallel with the draft so you can see it all play out on a a 30 min delay. It’s not like you need to see the draft live...

Obviously we rated Rivers very highly, trying to push right up to get him.

That’s awesome viewing... puts some great perspective on what they were thinking. Also interesting dynamics in the room. I’d be interesting if they live streamed the feed on a 30 min delay so you could actually watch it in parallel with the draft so you can see it all play out on a a 30 min delay. It’s not like you need to see the draft live...

I thought he’d be gone by our pick. Most rated him late first early second. Looking at his highlights and his attributes there’s not much going against him. Probably the fact he was sick in pre season he couldn’t get as fit as he’d like.

I suspect it has been pretty heavily edited and approved for release so as not to offend (“Wow, they went for him, I reckon he’s useless”) or giveaway anything of significance about say the value Melbourne place in next year’s picks.

So for that reason I don’t think a 30 minute delay is viable, although I would love to listen to it.

It would be great if after a sensible time, like five years, a recruiter or list manager wrote a book about what really went down through trade and draft periods. The proposed deals knocked back and why, who they were really wanting at their picks etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really promising draft - Riv has a real shot at being a great half back too, needs to play 10+ games this year.
So what you are saying is he’s a lock until the end of the season

If we’d taken Hayden Young ahead of Jackson I’d be having massive envy by now. Not that Young didn’t show a bit before his injury but you don’t take players like that when someone like Jackson is on the draft board, even if it doesn’t work out. Pretty strong top 3 of the draft at this stage on early transferral of talent to senior football.

If we’d taken Hayden Young ahead of Jackson I’d be having massive envy by now. Not that Young didn’t show a bit before his injury but you don’t take players like that when someone like Jackson is on the draft board, even if it doesn’t work out. Pretty strong top 3 of the draft at this stage on early transferral of talent to senior football.
Good call.

Heard second hand info that young wasn't even the alternative. Was serong.

Good call.

Heard second hand info that young wasn't even the alternative. Was serong.
Serong would have been a good pick for us at 8 - I still like Pickett more for our purposes, and when you throw in Rivers it’s a no-brainer. Serong at 3 would have been diabolical.

Serong would have been a good pick for us at 8 - I still like Pickett more for our purposes, and when you throw in Rivers it’s a no-brainer. Serong at 3 would have been diabolical.

Don't know about that... Serong looked bloody good as an U18 and has slotted in very nicely to the AFL.

Not sure we would have taken him before Noah Anderson though, presumably that GC taking Jacko would have been the only reason we wouldn't have taken him?

Although Anderson and Serong's output is very similar this year, Serong arguably a touch ahead.

Don't know about that... Serong looked bloody good as an U18 and has slotted in very nicely to the AFL.

Not sure we would have taken him before Noah Anderson though, presumably that GC taking Jacko would have been the only reason we wouldn't have taken him?

Although Anderson and Serong's output is very similar this year, Serong arguably a touch ahead.
Anderson has a level of class that Serong doesn’t though, even if their numbers are the same. He looks so lazy in everything he does well at this stage, when he gets going he’s going to be hard to stop.

I think we’d have taken Serong ahead of Jackson if we were after a ‘sensible and safe pick’, which is why it would have been diabolical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back