2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

So it goes
2010: Bennell
2011: Tyson
2012: O’Rourke & pick 4 Toumpas is already gone. (#3 Plowman is pretty average)
2013: Boyd
2014: McCartin (#4 Pickett has retired)

I couldn't remember if Pickett and Toumpas were still at Carlton and Port...so hedged my bets haha

Off work sick so thought I'd have a the top end talent from recent drafts. Amazing to think that the following may not be in the AFL system in 2020:

Pick 2 2010
Pick 3 2011 (unless he got a multi year deal, but certainly out of favour?)
Pick 2 2012 (already out of the system, as pick 4 is about to be)
Pick 1 2013
Pick 1 2014 (and pick 4 likely as well)

Admittedly some of the talent was compromised, with the expansion clubs coming in around this time, but to be missing at least one of the top 3 from each draft when we're 5 to 9 years down the track is surprising.
Combination of poor health, flaky outside types and being Dom Tyson there.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne

Knightmare was good all the first 6 picks spot on last year, and the top 12~ fairly accurate. Doesn't mean they'll all go on to become good players, but at least is a good guide to where the talent sits.

Ash and Young are two outside, half-back players which could fit our need - but they are somewhat unproven in a midfield or wing role. Interesting Young is compared to Salem... i'd happily have two Salem's!

Knightmare was good all the first 6 picks spot on last year, and the top 12~ fairly accurate. Doesn't mean they'll all go on to become good players, but at least is a good guide to where the talent sits.

Ash and Young are two outside, half-back players which could fit our need - but they are somewhat unproven in a midfield or wing role. Interesting Young is compared to Salem... i'd happily have two Salem's!
They're saying Ash has doubt's on midfield capability but that doesn't matter if he is good enough to release Salem further up the ground. Probably prefer him over Rowell if Anderson goes at pick 1.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
They're saying Ash has doubt's on midfield capability but that doesn't matter if he is good enough to release Salem further up the ground. Probably prefer him over Rowell if Anderson goes at pick 1.
Are we sold on Salems ability to pay further up the ground? He seems to suit the HB role really well.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Are we sold on Salems ability to pay further up the ground? He seems to suit the HB role really well.
The start of last season I thought he was excellent in the couple of games playing in the middle, before being moved to half back. So I'm pretty confident he could move to a wing role and play it really well, plus he's not exactly a great defender. All going well and everyone fit and firing next season, our backline should be May, Lever, Frost, Hore, Jetta and Hibberd, so there isn't really room for him back there anyway.

His delivery inside 50 is excellent when he gets the opportunity. Could really hurt teams if he gets his hands on the ball at the centre clearance.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw and Salam would be a perfect midfield setup for us.

Gawn taps it down to...Salami?

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
My current order of preference is;

1) Anderson
2) Rowell (small inside mid but super competitive and will be a surefire gun - good foot skills too)
3) Young
4) Kemp (would be at 3 if not for the ACL)
5) Ash

My current order of preference is;

1) Anderson
2) Rowell (small inside mid but super competitive and will be a surefire gun - good foot skills too)
3) Young
4) Kemp (would be at 3 if not for the ACL)
5) Ash
You forgot Brad Hill

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jeremy Sharp sounds interesting if we had to somehow drop down the draft order to mid 1st round.

I'd be happy with getting a player of the same quality of pretty much any top 10 pick from the last two years. Exceptions maybe being Lochie O'Brien, LDU, and Paddy Dow. Andrew Brayshaw not really what we need but has really elevated in the past month. Max King and Chayce Jones not enough exposed form to tell. Can't worry too much about the kind of player they are, as long as they're good.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Meh. Happy to keep saying he's not exactly a great defender. He's competent at best so the only reason we have him down there is for ball movement but we have never had an issue moving the ball from defence to attack. Our single greatest issue is kicking it inside 50. He does far more damage up the ground IMO

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Elijah Taylor is exactly what we need. Guessing we give the pick he gets taken with to Freo

Callum Twomey has Rowell number 1. Hopefully GC see it the same way and we get Anderson at 2.

If the AFL screw us by giving GC a compensation pick I'd like to see us trade pick 3 for lower picks to get two of Kemp/McAsey/Worrell/Flanders

Back