2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, none of the talked about top ten players for this years draft have got me excited and as such i havent been as invested in the whole thing... until i saw the video of Will Gould.

Now i really want this kid at pick three. Built like a fridge and fierce around the ball and in the air. Like if clayton oliver was a backman. I dont care that hes not talked about as a top ten and i dont think Jason Taylor will either.

Screw the airy fairy winger types. Take the old fashioned angry KPP who likes to hurt people.

Will Gould for pick 3!
(Paid and spoken for by stabler)
Just watched his highlights 😍😍

To be honest, none of the talked about top ten players for this years draft have got me excited and as such i havent been as invested in the whole thing... until i saw the video of Will Gould.

Now i really want this kid at pick three. Built like a fridge and fierce around the ball and in the air. Like if clayton oliver was a backman. I dont care that hes not talked about as a top ten and i dont think Jason Taylor will either.

Screw the airy fairy winger types. Take the old fashioned angry KPP who likes to hurt people.

Will Gould for pick 3!
(Paid and spoken for by stabler)

* yeah! I'm on the Gould train, the kid is a unit takes the game on and had a bit of toe. The thing i loved most was that he took on the dangerous kicks and hit his targets, he looks like a genuine match winner.

I would happily trade down the order to pick him up just outside the top 10.

Old school footballer at its best.

Saw a bit of Flanders and seemed to be a fair few turnovers! Definitely good at getting the ball and putting it into dangerous areas but not sure about hitting a pin point target.

This kid however:

Give me Young and Weightman please.

Young is the obvious choice for us. Not sure about Weightman yet. Good small forward but the are other options for that position that will be in the 20’s on draft day.

I’m liking Serong, Kemp and Gould myself.

Don’t think we can get all 3 though. I think they’re generally considered to go around picks 4, 8 & 12 respectively.

Might get lucky if one of them slides to the 6th round.

I still feel the Giants will come at #3, meaning this year we'd get 6 and 8 and probs next year a 1st rounder back plus change perhaps.
Whichever two we draft in, at least one has to come in and be a regular best 22/emergency-listed player given the trade risk we took with the Kangas. We can't afford to have two project players if we are to finish higher next year; they must have instant impact. I'm all for taking a punt on a Kemp, but it means the other pick has to be a blue chip ready-to-go round 1 player imo.
Happy to admit that I've only seen the 3 min highlights packages of non-SA players, but have seen a fair bit of Dylan Stephens and Will Gould. Here are my opinions if anyone cares:
I'd be happy with at #3: Young, Serong.
At #8: Kemp, Stephens, Weightman, Gould (maybe a low ceiling but can have an instant impact).
Young and Stephens look like quality kicks with speed, but perhaps you only pick one of those types. Likewise Serong (assuming he'd start his career mostly forward) and Weightman.
I saw the Ash highlights and wasn't that amazed - reminded me a bit of Shaun Atley. But that's me being really unfair given I've only seen two minutes of him!

I still feel the Giants will come at #3, meaning this year we'd get 6 and 8 and probs next year a 1st rounder back plus change perhaps.
Whichever two we draft in, at least one has to come in and be a regular best 22/emergency-listed player given the trade risk we took with the Kangas. We can't afford to have two project players if we are to finish higher next year; they must have instant impact. I'm all for taking a punt on a Kemp, but it means the other pick has to be a blue chip ready-to-go round 1 player imo.
Happy to admit that I've only seen the 3 min highlights packages of non-SA players, but have seen a fair bit of Dylan Stephens and Will Gould. Here are my opinions if anyone cares:
I'd be happy with at #3: Young, Serong.
At #8: Kemp, Stephens, Weightman, Gould (maybe a low ceiling but can have an instant impact).
Young and Stephens look like quality kicks with speed, but perhaps you only pick one of those types. Likewise Serong (assuming he'd start his career mostly forward) and Weightman.
I saw the Ash highlights and wasn't that amazed - reminded me a bit of Shaun Atley. But that's me being really unfair given I've only seen two minutes of him!

Not sure we can afford to be picking "low ceiling" players with our top 10 draft picks just because we made a risky deal with Norf. I haven't paid any attention at all to draftees and will have a look when people post the highlights packages of each victim after we draft them. Need some kids with Oliver-ish levels of talent coming in. Kind of compounds the issue if you make a very speculative future pick trade and then use the pick you just gained to draft a solid 6/10 player well ahead of where they're predicted to be taken. May as well have just traded a late first off someone else.

Not sure we can afford to be picking "low ceiling" players with our top 10 draft picks just because we made a risky deal with Norf. I haven't paid any attention at all to draftees and will have a look when people post the highlights packages of each victim after we draft them. Need some kids with Oliver-ish levels of talent coming in. Kind of compounds the issue if you make a very speculative future pick trade and then use the pick you just gained to draft a solid 6/10 player well ahead of where they're predicted to be taken. May as well have just traded a late first off someone else.
Fair call. I just feel the calls we've made means we're expecting a sharp rise next year. But I think our new draftees would have to come in and have impact asap. Maybe that's not Gould though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flanders looks like the last thing we need.

Accumulating, but a selfish, inside, ball butchering mid.

Do. Not. Want.
But "FLANDERS!"

It's worth it for the pay off

Young and Kemp are my preferences. I doubt Kemp will slide to 8 though but you never know. If not, then Weightman or Stephens. Need quick players with skill. Kemp however just looks like a star in the making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back