2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Goody playing 4D chess to tank in 2019 knowing we were still a few years off the pace of Richmond et al to re-vitalise the list with these 3 gems :devil:
Very Geelong of 2006 picking up Selwood, Hawkins and Kent Kingsley to fuel their 07-11 dynasty. (Noting that only Selwood of the three was a high draft pick which makes this a very long bow to draw, but I've done it anyway because I want us to win 3 flags in the next 5 years as a minimum)

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ridiculous that we added these three guns from the same draft, and they’ve all slotted into the best 22 so smoothly and just look like they belong at AFL level.

I congratulate us.
Drafting is the key, do it early, often and well and the results are obvious, the idea that teams can trade their way to a flag or draft picks are overrated needs to be put to bed. JT is arguably the most important man at the club and as you say congratulations to us for letting the man do his job

Drafting is the key, do it early, often and well and the results are obvious, the idea that teams can trade their way to a flag or draft picks are overrated needs to be put to bed. JT is arguably the most important man at the club and as you say congratulations to us for letting the man do his job

Yea, let the man draft, we should never go into a draft without a first and second round pick while he's at the club, he's unbelievable honestly. Can you imagine how well he would have gone if he got his hands on the picks Prendergast had? 😳

Yea, let the man draft, we should never go into a draft without a first and second round pick while he's at the club, he's unbelievable honestly. Can you imagine how well he would have gone if he got his hands on the picks Prendergast had? 😳
You don't remember the plethora of captain hindsight articles form the neeld era?

melbourne-draft_2.jpg

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

Prendergast was a Carlton sleeper agent.

doesn't take captain hindsight to draft better than Prendergast. So many horrible picks in the 10-40 range. If it wasn't for Max it would just about have been a clean sweep of uselessness.

Speaking of Max. The above article said we should have taken Allen Christensen above him. With double captain hindsight we can safely say this article has completely backfired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
He’s a freak at this point, even if he had only done half as well with his first round picks he would still be elite at his job, he’s not the only reason I’m so opposed to trading high picks but he’s right up there.
I still cry at night thinking about our drafts from 08 to 11

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
We’ve had our shockers in the past but how’s the Saints going McCartin over Petracca and Billings over Bontempelli in successive drafts. Ouch.
The Saints have had some draft decisions rebound, but nothing they have done rivals our vast period of second-to-none on and off-field bullshit under an administration that until Jackson and Roos arrived (no thanks to us, others took matters into their own hands) was frankly embarrassing and took the piss and the money out of club members to the point where I am amazed that I’m still onboard and typing this.

We have won six games this year and I’m thrilled about it. This doesn‘t make me want to emerge as the voice of wisdom in respect of other team drafting decisions.

The Saints have had some draft decisions rebound, but nothing they have done rivals our vast period of second-to-none on and off-field bullshit under an administration that until Jackson and Roos arrived (no thanks to us, others took matters into their own hands) was frankly embarrassing and took the piss and the money out of club members to the point where I am amazed that I’m still onboard and typing this.

We have won six games this year and I’m thrilled about it. This doesn‘t make me want to emerge as the voice of wisdom in respect of other team drafting decisions.
Most of our drafting decisions were consensus ones at the time though. The Saints actively chose to not pick Trac and also made a big hullabaloo about not doing so, which makes it more bizarre

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Most of our drafting decisions were consensus ones at the time though. The Saints actively chose to not pick Trac and also made a big hullabaloo about not doing so, which makes it more bizarre
That one was weird. I assumed at the time they were already aware that they were picking the slim odds option and acted out with bravado accordingly crossing fingers it would pan out.

The other example, missing Bont, seems utterly not worth trolling given all evidence points to our not picking him up either if we had been given the opportunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back