Resource 2019 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me, but the very 1st page where it gets updated and there are tabs, its just blank???
googlesheet gremlins got in again, hasn't happened for a while but I think it might be due to server requests or something, it just implodes occasionally and won't calculate formulas correctly. It's the reason I always post screenshots haha.

I've checked the spreadsheet and reapplied the relevant cells, so it looks fine over on google sheets, but the embed in the OP might take a short while to catch up.

googlesheet gremlins got in again, hasn't happened for a while but I think it might be due to server requests or something, it just implodes occasionally and won't calculate formulas correctly. It's the reason I always post screenshots haha.

I've checked the spreadsheet and reapplied the relevant cells, so it looks fine over on google sheets, but the embed in the OP might take a short while to catch up.
Thanks Mate

Hey Lore, on the AFL indicative draft order page, they have Carlton having pick 72 and St Kilda with 76. Just wondering if they got that wrong as you've got them they other way around?

As with previous editions from previous years, this spreadsheet is updated automatically. As of round 21 it will be completely automatic for the remainder of the home and away season (rather than updating at the end of the round).

I will also try to post a screenshot of it once the round is over. These are posted in the thread for posterity and so that the most up to date information is accessible in case the spreadsheet breaks for any reason.

Through the trade period I will try and keep it as up to date as possible, but I am one person so please be patient. :)

For ease of access I have also set up threadmarks on the round updates, and will do the same through the trade period as picks change hands. To access this feature please use the button at the top right corner of the thread.

Tag me if you notice anything that isn't quite right!

its broken

its broken
As per the post two above, the google sheet gremlins have screwed up some things and it may take some time for the embed to reflect the fix (probably caching or something). The actual spreadsheet is fine, and can be viewed here.

Hey Lore, on the AFL indicative draft order page, they have Carlton having pick 72 and St Kilda with 76. Just wondering if they got that wrong as you've got them they other way around?
Okay so that's actually quite interesting. This was a trade that took us quite a while to unravel last year, as the AFL didn't explicitly identify which future picks went where for quite a while at the end of last year.

Firstly, the Saints acquired a number of fourth round picks, most importantly West Coast's fourth rounder in the Tom Hickey trade as well as having Gold Coast's and Carlton's fourth rounders at that time. Then they did a pick only trade, with Carlton's 2018 pick 67 going to St Kilda in exchange for 2018 pick 75 and future fourth-round pick.

Given they had three of those at the time, no one knew which one had been traded. We (a group of us on page 2-3 of this thread) logicked it for a while, consulted twitter feeds, club websites, and even an article in The Age (including tagging @petryan on twitter to get confirmation), and of all of it the best we could figure is what I have in my spreadsheet.

In December 2018 the AFL website confirmed what I have in my spreadsheet here.

Screenshots from that link which will inevitably be pulled now if it doesn't suit the league's narrative:

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 8.45.10 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 8.45.01 pm.png

I'm going to also tag grimlock, Trueblue4Life (edit: lol that's you!) and Gosaints12 here as they might be interested in this as well.

Grant Birchall joins Brisbane Lions
GWS trade #12 and #18 to St Kilda for #6 and #59
From memory deficits are only applied to real picks, not compo ones. Compo ones also can't be used for academy matching (as of a couple of years ago).

Compensation and priority picks can't be used for father-sons either, or at least it's still written in the rules that way.

FYI - it doesn't look like this applies anymore.

AFL Rules - June 2017 refers to the following under rule 17.6 Compensation:

(b) For the avoidance of doubt, any entitlement to a compensatory selection:
(i) may be exchanged in accordance with Rule 9;
(ii) cannot be utilised pursuant to the Father/Son (Rule 8); and
(iii) cannot be utilised pursuant to the Listing of Club Academy Player (Rule 14.4).

Whereas in AFL Rules - 9 May 2019, the same rule 17.6 Compensation appears as such:

(b) For the avoidance of doubt, any entitlement to a compensatory selection may be exchanged in accordance with Rule 9.

The references denying the use of compensation picks for Academies and Father/Sons have been removed.

Working backwards, I would hazard that this came in during 2018, as Collingwood utilised pick 53 as part of the match to gain Quaynor - that pick 53 originally being the pick 57 compensation for Fasolo.

FYI - it doesn't look like this applies anymore.

AFL Rules - June 2017 refers to the following under rule 17.6 Compensation:

(b) For the avoidance of doubt, any entitlement to a compensatory selection:
(i) may be exchanged in accordance with Rule 9;
(ii) cannot be utilised pursuant to the Father/Son (Rule 8); and
(iii) cannot be utilised pursuant to the Listing of Club Academy Player (Rule 14.4).

Whereas in AFL Rules - 9 May 2019, the same rule 17.6 Compensation appears as such:

(b) For the avoidance of doubt, any entitlement to a compensatory selection may be exchanged in accordance with Rule 9.

The references denying the use of compensation picks for Academies and Father/Sons have been removed.

Working backwards, I would hazard that this came in during 2018, as Collingwood utilised pick 53 as part of the match to gain Quaynor - that pick 53 originally being the pick 57 compensation for Fasolo.
Hm, interesting. That’s free agency compensation that’s changed then. So the compensation picks are basically treated as normal picks.

Priority picks still can’t be used for father son or academy bidding according to 19.4 (can’t quote it properly from my phone but you have the link and it’s page 87).

I’m sure if Gold Coast had academy players in one of these cohorts then they’d let them match with the priority picks though.

I’m sure if Gold Coast had academy players in one of these cohorts then they’d let them match with the priority picks though.
The other set of priority rules basically give GCS free access to their academy IIRC, so it won't come up.

Sam Frost (Melbourne) to Hawthorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ed Langdon (Fremantle) to Melbourne
Pick swap between Brisbane and West Coast
Melbourne trade #26, #50, future first to North Melbourne for #8
Ryder & Howard (Port Adelaide) traded to St Kilda
Darcy Cameron (Sydney) traded to Collingwood
Pick swap between Carlton and Sydney
Zac Smith (Geelong) to Gold Coast
Taylor (Brisbane Lions) to Sydney
Steven (St Kilda) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad