Resource 2019 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the BL list manager, teams couldn't trade a pick back to the club who traded it to them. If Carlton traded the fifth round pick directly to Adelaide in the first place (I can't remember), Adelaide couldn't trade Carlton's pick back to them.
Well this would be awkward for the AFL and/or those two clubs. At the time of the Adelaide/Carlton deal, Adelaide had already traded their own fifth-rounder to GWS as part of the trade that netted Ian Hill for the Giants. Carlton's 5th rounder was the only 5th rounder the Crows had available to trade.

So if the BL list manager is correct, this trade isn't valid.

Edit: Unless the Crows traded the Carlton 5th rounder to GWS. That would make more sense.

Edit 2: Confirmed by Crows Twitter!

Thanks, should have read the previous posts more closely. I've been tracking them as well, and this is the only trade I couldn't get any official confirmation or where there was only one pick in that round that the club had at the time.

Which other ones were you not certain about?
To be honest I'm not even sure what I'm still not sure about :p The ones that inbetweener and bay pie pointed out above were a couple of them, as well as this one with St Kilda sending one of three fourth round picks to Carlton. And now I'm not totally sure about that fifth rounder Adelaide sent back to Carlton either, as per dlanod's posts above.

Is there anything else I've got that's different from what you have?

I have it in a different format, so a bit hard to compare. I haven't included the STK to CAR trade.

Adelaide -
In: R1 (CAR), R2 (CAR)
Out: R1 (CAR), R3 (CAR), R4 (PTA), R5 (CAR)
Brisbane -
In: R1 (COL), R2 (GCS), R3 (FRE)
Out: R1 (GCS), R4 (NTH)
Carlton -
In: R1 (ADE), R3 (ADE), R5 (ADE)
Out: R1 (ADE), R2 (ADE), R4 (SYD), R5 (GWS)
Collingwood -
In: R4 (HAW)
Out: R1 (BRL), R5 (HAW)
Essendon -
In: R2 (GWS), R4 (FRE)
Out: R1 (GWS)
Fremantle -
In:
Out: R3 (BRL), R4 (ESS)
Geelong -
In:
Out: R4 (RIC)
Gold Coast -
In: R1 (BRL), R3 (RIC), R4 (STK)
Out: R2 (BRL), R3 (RIC), R4 (STK)
GWS -
In: R1 (ESS), R5 (CAR)
Out: R2 (ESS), R4 (STK)
Hawthorn -
In: R3 (PTA), R5 (COL)
Out: R3 (WBD), R4 (COL)
Melbourne -
In:
Out:
North Melbourne -
In: R3 (STK), R4 (BRL)
Out: R3 (WBD), R4 (PTA)
Port Adelaide -
In: R4 (ADE), R4 (WBD), R4 (NTH)
Out: R3 (HAW)
Richmond -
In: R3 (GCS), R4 (GEE)
Out: R3 (GCS)
St Kilda -
In: R4 (GCS), R4 (GWS), R4 (WCE)
Out: R2 (SYD), R3 (NTH), R4 (GCS)
Sydney -
In: R2 (STK), R3 (WCE), R4 (CAR)
Out: R2 (WCE)
West Coast -
In: R2 (SYD)
Out: R3 (SYD), R4 (STK)
Western Bulldogs -
In: R3 (HAW), R3 (NTH)
Out: R4 (PTA)

Well this would be awkward for the AFL and/or those two clubs. At the time of the Adelaide/Carlton deal, Adelaide had already traded their own fifth-rounder to GWS as part of the trade that netted Ian Hill for the Giants. Carlton's 5th rounder was the only 5th rounder the Crows had available to trade.

So if the BL list manager is correct, this trade isn't valid.

Edit: Unless the Crows traded the Carlton 5th rounder to GWS. That would make more sense.

Edit 2: Confirmed by Crows Twitter!

Well that straightens that out. :D
Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 2.12.23 pm.png
I have it in a different format, so a bit hard to compare. I haven't included the STK to CAR trade.

Adelaide -
In: R1 (CAR), R2 (CAR)
Brisbane -
Carlton -
In: R1 (ADE), R3 (ADE), R5 (ADE)
Collingwood -
Essendon -
Fremantle -
In:
Geelong -
In:
Gold Coast -
GWS -
Hawthorn -
Melbourne -
In:
Out:
North Melbourne -
Port Adelaide -
Richmond -
St Kilda -
In: R4 (GCS), R4 (GWS), R4 (WCE)
Sydney -
West Coast -
Western Bulldogs -
Easy enough to adapt one of the back-end spreadsheets to suit the purpose :p

I have Gold Coast acquiring West Coast's R5 pick from St Kilda, instead of St Kilda's own.
I have North on-trading St Kilda's R3 to the Bulldogs, instead of keeping the Saints' R3 and trading their own R3 to the Dogs.
I have St Kilda trading out GWS's R4 and keeping Gold Coast's R4.

I have no proof for any of these things one way or the other. I'm sure I reasoned it out at the time but not sure what that reasoning was at this point.

This is the 2019 Nominal Draft Order

For 2018 picks, please see the pinned thread:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...raft-order-last-updated-11-30am-8-10.1179329/

Through the trade period I will try and keep it as up to date as possible, but I am one person so please be patient. :)

Tag me if you notice anything that isn't quite right!​

How did you work out which picks were traded?

I have Gold Coast acquiring West Coast's R5 pick from St Kilda, instead of St Kilda's own.

I assume you mean R4 and not R5. As part of the Tom Hickey trade, West Coast had already traded out their R4 to St Kilda but received St Kilda's R4 back. So the only R4 pick WC could trade to GC was St Kilda's

I have North on-trading St Kilda's R3 to the Bulldogs, instead of keeping the Saints' R3 and trading their own R3 to the Dogs.
Looks like you're right.

I have St Kilda trading out GWS's R4 and keeping Gold Coast's R4.
As I said I haven't accounted for the St Kilda pick 67 and future 4th rounder to Carlton for pick 75.

How did you work out which picks were traded?
It's been an ongoing discussion over the last two pages of the thread. The actual trade period the information is published on the AFL's twitter, but during the draft there was live trading and much of what was published is fairly ambiguous.

As it stands, each club should have the right number of picks in the right number of rounds on the spreadsheet, but the details might be wrong.

I'm now basically crowd-sourcing information via this thread, where people who know differently to what I've got are letting me know and we're working together to clarify which picks belong where and then updating it.

I believe the value of late first and second round picks has increased due to academy selections and Club Draft rankings with sliders.

It's been an ongoing discussion over the last two pages of the thread. The actual trade period the information is published on the AFL's twitter, but during the draft there was live trading and much of what was published is fairly ambiguous.

As it stands, each club should have the right number of picks in the right number of rounds on the spreadsheet, but the details might be wrong.

I'm now basically crowd-sourcing information via this thread, where people who know differently to what I've got are letting me know and we're working together to clarify which picks belong where and then updating it.
Nice work.

Bit ridiculous, you would think the AFL media would be all over it.

From Norths Twitter:
JUST IN: We've traded the future third round pick we received from St Kilda to the Western Bulldogs, and received pick 46.

Norths Net Result
North run away with some value by trading with the Saints and Bulldogs:
Pick 61 ---> Pick 46

Saints Net Result
After 3 trades the Saints ended up with a net result of:
Pick 75 + Future 3rd rd pick (StK) ---> Pick 67 + Future 4th round pick (GC or GWS?)

Last edited:
I assume you mean R4 and not R5. As part of the Tom Hickey trade, West Coast had already traded out their R4 to St Kilda but received St Kilda's R4 back. So the only R4 pick WC could trade to GC was St Kilda's
Gold Coast only did one live trade, which was;

Eagles receive pick 27 and pick 32 - From Gold Coast Suns
Suns receive pick 23 and a future round 5 pick - From West Coast Eagles

Round 5 according to the AFL trade tracker, not round 4...?

Looks like you're right.

As I said I haven't accounted for the St Kilda pick 67 and future 4th rounder to Carlton for pick 75.
Fair enough :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide -
In: R1 (CAR), R2 (CAR),
Brisbane -
Carlton -
In: R1 (ADE), R3 (ADE), R4 (WCE), R5 (ADE)
Collingwood -
Essendon -
Fremantle -
In:
Geelong -
In:
Gold Coast -
GWS -
Hawthorn -
Melbourne -
In:
Out:
North Melbourne -
Port Adelaide -
Richmond -
St Kilda -
In: R4 (GCS), R4 (GWS)
Sydney -
West Coast -
Western Bulldogs -

I think I fixed what the saints have and don’t have.

The list at the bottom of this article indicates it's GWS 4th rounder that was traded to Carlton, however they're missing a heap of 5th round picks in that list so not sure you can believe it.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...nto-national-draft-again-20181129-p50j9b.html
Everything he has there is the same as mine, aside from the 3rd rounders between Hawks, Bulldogs and North - the same one we discussed earlier and you found the roos' tweet about it confirming they on-traded the Saints pick rather than trading their own. And he's missing the fifth round pick exchanges that you already mentioned. All that considered, doesn't seem very reliable, so I wouldn't say it verifies what I have :p

In the Hickey trade, did'nt the Saints receive Pick 28 (2018) and swap future 4th round picks with WCE in exchange for Hickey and a 4th round (2018) pick?

In the Hickey trade, did'nt the Saints receive Pick 28 (2018) and swap future 4th round picks with WCE in exchange for Hickey and a 4th round (2018) pick?
Not quite, 28 was part of the Hanneberry trade.

Eagles got Hickey and Saints 2019 fourth
Saints got Eagles 2018 2nd rounder (pick 39 at the time) and Eagles 2019 fourth

The list at the bottom of this article indicates it's GWS 4th rounder that was traded to Carlton, however they're missing a heap of 5th round picks in that list so not sure you can believe it.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...nto-national-draft-again-20181129-p50j9b.html

So after reading through the article I sent this tweet to Peter Ryan from The Age, and got a reply. He has now made a couple of changes to the list of future picks in the article.

Hi @petryan, there seems to be a few future picks missing in the list you have provided, e.g. Suns receive 5th round from West Coast, GWS & Carlton receive 5th Round from Adelaide. Do you have a full list of each clubs future picks, I have been struggling to find a complete list.

peter ryan‏Verified account @petryan
I didn't put in the fifth round but have updated now. Think the fifth round pick went Carlton to Adelaide then back to Carlton so Blues retain it. AFL yet to release but confident first 4 rounds correct.

So after reading through the article I sent this tweet to Peter Ryan from The Age, and got a reply. He has now made a couple of changes to the list of future picks in the article.

Hi @petryan, there seems to be a few future picks missing in the list you have provided, e.g. Suns receive 5th round from West Coast, GWS & Carlton receive 5th Round from Adelaide. Do you have a full list of each clubs future picks, I have been struggling to find a complete list.

peter ryan‏Verified account @petryan
I didn't put in the fifth round but have updated now. Think the fifth round pick went Carlton to Adelaide then back to Carlton so Blues retain it. AFL yet to release but confident first 4 rounds correct.
Did you forward him the North Melbourne tweet and/or the article on their website confirming which third rounder they traded? And did he update that part of his list...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back