2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Young and Gould for me
I like the balance of picking these two. One deluxe disposal outside mid who will probably take 2 years to be really afl ready, the other a man child who will be afl ready from day dot but he uses the ball pretty well too. Doesn’t address our small forward issue but surely small forward is one of the easiest of roles to trade for.

Young and Kemp are my preferences. I doubt Kemp will slide to 8 though but you never know. If not, then Weightman or Stephens. Need quick players with skill. Kemp however just looks like a star in the making.
If Kemp grows three to four centimetres he could be the best KPP to come out of this draft. So ****ed that he did his ACL, we should just be taking him at 3.

d674a7852f6b59d025d9447800f4e3d9.jpg

FWIW, Knightmare has ranked his top kickers of this year’s draft in distinct tiers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Flanders looks like the last thing we need.

Accumulating, but a selfish, inside, ball butchering mid.

Do. Not. Want.
Seriously, I know the draft highlights clip doesn't show everything, but a bloke who is able to get the ball inside and sky it off his foot is not the sort of thing we need. The only time he hit a bloke was when he was about 10m in the clear and I'm not convinced it was his intended target. Hard pass ... So I expect we'll see him pulling on a Dees guernsey next year.

If we keep 3 I can’t see us passing on Young. With 8 I could see us adding some more pace. So reckon Stephens or Serong are big chances although sounds like Serong might not be there. Weightman is someone I could see us reaching for. Maybe why we could trade down the order a little.

I don’t know why we’d be into Serong, short inside mid or a forward similar to Melksham, doesn’t seem like a goal sneak small forward that we want.

I don’t know why we’d be into Serong, short inside mid or a forward similar to Melksham, doesn’t seem like a goal sneak small forward that we want.

I don’t think needs are going to justify who we select at 3. It’s goig to be best available.

A very smart user who knows where the goals are fits reasonably well anyway.

We don’t need another ball hunter but someone who can get involved and use it creatively fits fine for me.

I don’t think needs are going to justify who we select at 3. It’s goig to be best available.

A very smart user who knows where the goals are fits reasonably well anyway.

We don’t need another ball hunter but someone who can get involved and use it creatively fits fine for me.
This whole best available is very debatable in my opinion. I’d say Serong, Young, Ash, Stephens, Flanders, Kemp and Gould’s talent levels are very similar, they are just different talents, you couldn’t say one is better than the other or there is no way of predicting which one will have better career. I’d be picking more of a needs out of that bunch, and for me Serong just isn’t high on our needs.

This whole best available is very debatable in my opinion. I’d say Serong, Young, Ash, Stephens, Flanders, Kemp and Gould’s talent levels are very similar, they are just different talents, you couldn’t say one is better than the other or there is no way of predicting which one will have better career. I’d be picking more of a needs out of that bunch, and for me Serong just isn’t high on our needs.
Don’t think Gould is in this conversation but rest I agree with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know * all about the draft class, but looking at Knightmares thread and a few highlights tapes I like any two of Young, Ash & Kemp.

Even in his highlights tape Flanders didn't hit a target so we'll probably take him.

Last edited:

I wouldn't be put off by size in the modern game. Keeping your feet is advantageous and smaller players find that easy to do, we see with Caleb Daniel that he is able to maintain his balance and keep his feet better than others, also be more evasive - Boomer was the same in that regard. I don't think being short is a disadvantage anymore.

I wouldn't be put off by size in the modern game. Keeping your feet is advantageous and smaller players find that easy to do, we see with Caleb Daniel that he is able to maintain his balance and keep his feet better than others, also be more evasive - Boomer was the same in that regard. I don't think being short is a disadvantage anymore.
Not put off by his size, just think we have similar types already on our list.

Watching Caleb Daniel lose some very soft one-on-one battles, being short definitely is a disadvantage. Short guys just have to bring more to the table than the 6'2 blokes. Such is life.

Watching Caleb Daniel lose some very soft one-on-one battles, being short definitely is a disadvantage. Short guys just have to bring more to the table than the 6'2 blokes. Such is life.
Yeah Daniel is a star in a lot of ways but his ceiling is v obvious. A good role player when his side is up and about but needs that support to do anything.

If we keep 3 I can’t see us passing on Young. With 8 I could see us adding some more pace. So reckon Stephens or Serong are big chances although sounds like Serong might not be there. Weightman is someone I could see us reaching for. Maybe why we could trade down the order a little.
Apparently Carlton are into him at pick 9. If we want him it will be at pick 8.

Stretch and JKH delisted. Looks like we have plans to draft more than two...

Whether that means a pick split, Martin or both. Unlikely to be a split, as that would take us into 2020 draft.

Into Weightman?

I wouldn’t be annoyed if we went early. Seems that teams really need the small pressure types. Plus he can take a mark and play mid if required.

Yep Weightman! Since they didn't land Papley.

Yep good contested mark for his size! Once of the best vertical leaps in the draft

Stretch and JKH delisted. Looks like we have plans to draft more than two...

Whether that means a pick split, Martin or both. Unlikely to be a split, as that would take us into 2020 draft.

We may use our super late pick to upgrade a rookie too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back