2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast also received a massive number of draft picks. Both clubs were given similar opportunities to set themselves up for strong long-term futures, and Gold Coast royally screwed the pooch.
GWS did get waaaaaaay more though.

GWS did get waaaaaaay more though.

If I cared enough to look into it, I'd go back and tally everything up, but I don't. If we're making the point that GC got most of their picks in a weaker draft, I'd agree with that. GWS also fared a lot better with their 17 year old pre-listed players. GWS also wheeled and dealed to keep themselves collecting those high draft picks, so there's more to it than just getting kissed on the dick by Demetriou.

Gold Coast also received a massive number of draft picks. Both clubs were given similar opportunities to set themselves up for strong long-term futures, and Gold Coast royally screwed the pooch.

Nope, GWS had the mini draft, pretty much 4 extra first rounders (actually in reality is was probably more like an extra 8 first rounders), plus they came in second and played kids to ensure they finished last for more no.1 picks.

Sure GWS has been better managed by they also had far more picks to play with. Plus they also had a larger salary cap than GCS and they had the pick of the academy zones, zones which included well established footballing areas.

GWS were kissed on the dick, to suggest they were given similar opportunities is inaccurate

Last edited:

Yes and no. GWS had the advantage of the Mini Draft's (because GC got first dibs on uncontracted players) so they got a few more early ones - ironically, two were from GC for O'Meara and Martin. But the real difference was from the uncontracted players ... the intention for both teams was to top up the draft picks with established players to ensure things improved quickly ... GC did exactly that, GWS instead, under the direction of Sheedy, picked the best young players they could get, it meant a longer period languishing on the bottom of the ladder, but would improve their overall position as all of their players aged.

It's been a perfect list build really, however, no perfect enough to actually get them a flag

Yes and no. GWS had the advantage of the Mini Draft's (because GC got first dibs on uncontracted players) so they got a few more early ones - ironically, two were from GC for O'Meara and Martin. But the real difference was from the uncontracted players ... the intention for both teams was to top up the draft picks with established players to ensure things improved quickly ... GC did exactly that, GWS instead, under the direction of Sheedy, picked the best young players they could get, it meant a longer period languishing on the bottom of the ladder, but would improve their overall position as all of their players aged.

It's been a perfect list build really, however, no perfect enough to actually get them a flag

The bold part is exactly where GC went wrong. They went hard and fast to try out of the blocks to climb off the foot of the table, and they did do that briefly, but it fell apart just as quickly because they'd recruited solid players who didn't have that long left in the game (and Ablett). They should have gone about it the same way GWS did. It might not have won them a flag and I don't think it will, but its at least put them in a position to be a long-term challenger.

If I cared enough to look into it, I'd go back and tally everything up, but I don't. If we're making the point that GC got most of their picks in a weaker draft, I'd agree with that. GWS also fared a lot better with their 17 year old pre-listed players. GWS also wheeled and dealed to keep themselves collecting those high draft picks, so there's more to it than just getting kissed on the dick by Demetriou.
You don't have to tally it up, they did. I'm not saying it's the reason they've done so much better, but it's true.

Anyone got any intel or opinions on the 2019 draft?..
If you like Xavier Duursma's first year, you'll love what Sam Flanders has to offer. While he is an inside mid compared to Duursma's outside running, Sam Flanders was able to match anything Duursma brought to the table on Athletics Day with even the Gippsland Power coach saying that Flanders was the better footballer. He's expected to go within the first 5-10 picks

He is classified as an inside midfielder from what I've read which is why I've made sure to not mention him, seeing as we're gonna get either pick 2 or 3. I mean, what are we gonna do? Waste another young talent?

If you like Xavier Duursma's first year, you'll love what Sam Flanders has to offer. While he is an inside mid compared to Duursma's outside running, Sam Flanders was able to match anything Duursma brought to the table on Athletics Day with even the Gippsland Power coach saying that Flanders was the better footballer. He's expected to go within the first 5-10 picks

He is classified as an inside midfielder from what I've read which is why I've made sure to not mention him, seeing as we're gonna get either pick 2 or 3. I mean, what are we gonna do? Waste another young talent?

Damn sexy Flanders!

I would love to get him purely for the memes.

The Riverina zone was the kicker unfortunately. Established footy zone where a bunch of elite kids landed at the Giants for a good five years.

Apparently Brodie Kemp went down with a knee injury on the weekend, no confirmation but could be ACL.

He was a player hovering in the 3-6 range and just the type we need (tall, explosive midfielder).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Brodie Kemp went down with a knee injury on the weekend, no confirmation but could be ACL.

He was a player hovering in the 3-6 range and just the type we need (tall, explosive midfielder).
This is classic Melbourne, players injured before we even draft them. If it's an ACL watch him slide to pick 15ish where another club nabs him before he turns into a superstar (ie Jake Lever, who we had eyes on at pick 2/3).

Can’t believe we could be looking at a potential top 2 pick, kind of makes me excited, which is sad given the expectation of this season.

If we get Anderson or Rowell they better have some serious skills or pace bc we don't need to add another Viney/Brayshaw to the Oliver/Harmes/Brayshaw/Viney/Petracca mix. Bit of a shame there's no elite tall forward in this draft, although it's been a long time since a good KPF was taken in the top 10.

Wiedeman will be a decent tall forward when he’s about 25 years old.

The key will be getting TMac back on the park and into some form. We are stuffed without him.

Fritsch forward this week was so good to see. I wish Goodwin would let players play to their strengths more - he seems to try to manufacture them into something to fit his game plan rather than the other way around.

Can’t believe we could be looking at a potential top 2 pick, kind of makes me excited, which is sad given the expectation of this season.
I think it's a good result, given we haven't really stunk the joint up this season. Yes we have been extremely disappointing but a lot of games we've just been wasteful rather than bad. Could easily have another 4 wins and be in for a token finals appearance. And yeah I'd prefer to make the 8 than get another early pick but from about the first West Coast game onwards our season has been shot and it's been more about 2020. Cash in with Noah Anderson and rise again next year.

Regarding key forwards, TMac, Fritsch and Weed are an ok three-pronged attack for next year. I'm more worried about getting good small forwards in. Melksham is good then who? Garlett is cooked. Lewis is going grey. Spargo has collapsed on his first year form. Hannan too. Lockhart unproven....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back