Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Damn sexy Flanders!

I would love to get him purely for the memes.

He's already been seen in Melbourne colours too (and at the snow).

Flanders.jpg

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Plugger Petty in 2 games has shown more than Weid has all year
Agree 100%. Would rather put games into Petty than Weid atm. Weid is nearly trade bait. Should have exploded this season and hasn't fired a shot. Next year is pretty much make or break for Weid.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Agree 100%. Would rather put games into Petty than Weid atm. Weid is nearly trade bait. Should have exploded this season and hasn't fired a shot. Next year is pretty much make or break for Weid.
Because the way we've been sending the ball inside 50, what forward wouldn't excel in those circumstances!

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weideman is going to be a bash and crash style, long ball in type forward who brings it to ground.

His body won’t be ready to do it well for another 2 or 3 years.

It’s not time to panic with him, but we do need something in place in the meantime.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Think if you temper your expectations of Weideman then he'll be ok. He's a role player.

Can he mark, kick, play a bit of ruck and be counted upon in September? Yes. Will he be a superstar? No.

Yeah you want more from a top 10 pick but he's not suddenly going to come out in 2020 and kick 60 snags. I'd still have him in the 22 for what he brings.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Think if you temper your expectations of Weideman then he'll be ok. He's a role player.

Can he mark, kick, play a bit of ruck and be counted upon in September? Yes. Will he be a superstar? No.

Yeah you want more from a top 10 pick but he's not suddenly going to come out in 2020 and kick 60 snags. I'd still have him in the 22 for what he brings.
So can Petty, Weid and TMac be a starting forwardline?? I think Preuss is a bust as a forward. Too slow and is a horrible mark for his size. Break glass only if Gawn goes down.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
So can Petty, Weid and TMac be a starting forwardline?? I think Preuss is a bust as a forward. Too slow and is a horrible mark for his size. Break glass only if Gawn goes down.
Why not.

Also ... ahem ... Petty showed a bit forward yes. Two games though. I think we should hold back a bit before carving his name on a permanent tall forward spot

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Weideman is going to be a bash and crash style, long ball in type forward who brings it to ground.

His body won’t be ready to do it well for another 2 or 3 years.

It’s not time to panic with him, but we do need something in place in the meantime.
Weideman is the furthest thing from a bash and crash type. That's Tim Smith, weid is an athletic marking forward. He relies on the ball being put in front of him. We have tried to use him in such a stupid way this year we have ruined his confidence completely.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I’ve been a fan for a long time and haven’t given up, but we do have fu** all KPF depth. I still say I wouldn’t mind Jenkins provided he came cheap.
What team has gun KPfs running around in the reserves? Because that's where Weid will be if we get another

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Why not.

Also ... ahem ... Petty showed a bit forward yes. Two games though. I think we should hold back a bit before carving his name on a permanent tall forward spot
Petty has the attributes. Decent mark, really good size, nice kick. I think he and Tmac could compliment each other nicely. Petty the more big leading target and TMac the mobile bigman. Weid is somewhere in the middle of these two, so If Petty continues to be solid in the remaining games, it will be interesting to see the setup going into 2020. Weid signed for 2 years so we are obviously going to persist. 11 goals so far this year is really poor..

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Don't think Weid is a gun yet and you can't deny we have zero depth (T Smith is no good).
We did decently well against the Eagles without Tmac Melksham and Weid, there is your depth.
Petty did a decent enough job and Max took some marks.

Tim Smith might be no good but he's depth. Jenkins won't move for cheap and I don't see the point paying a good pick and money for a bloke who isn't even a good key forward

If you want cheap depth we may aswell throw a 3 year deal at Casboult because that's the best we could get unless GWS wanna push out Finlayson still

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Tim Smith is a perfectly fine KPF depth. Over-ager, normally performs to a decent standard. If you use up any more resources on KPF depth it might further throw our list out of whack. I feel our crop will do fine if we fix our ball movement. You look at up and coming teams like Brisbane and its their smalls/resting mids that are the real headaches. Imagine if we had picked up Lincoln McCarthy...

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weideman is the furthest thing from a bash and crash type. That's Tim Smith, weid is an athletic marking forward. He relies on the ball being put in front of him. We have tried to use him in such a stupid way this year we have ruined his confidence completely.

I reckon that’s what he’ll become.

A pack buster.

He’s just not physically ready for it yet.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Players don't play as pack busters any more

Tom Lynch does it. Taylor Walker (although out of form). Charlie Dixon. Tom Hawkins to an extent.

The best of the lot might end up being Harry Mackay.

I’m talking about a long ball target here - a forward who can give you a get out if you need to go long, and make sure the thing comes to ground and not intercepted.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I reckon that’s what he’ll become.

A pack buster.

He’s just not physically ready for it yet.
I like Weed and I want him on the team. I don’t think he is a pack buster, or likely to become one. He’s more your leading forward (ish). At the moment he mostly runs in on an angle - so he’s almost like an intercept defender only playing forward. I think if all goes well he could be a Gunston type one day. Not a Tom Lynch type. I also think he might be okay in the backline as an interceptor (not that we need one currently - that’s pure theory based on my random and inexpert impressions of his strengths)

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like Weed and I want him on the team. I don’t think he is a pack buster, or likely to become one. He’s more your leading forward (ish). At the moment he mostly runs in on an angle - so he’s almost like an intercept defender only playing forward. I think if all goes well he could be a Gunston type one day. Not a Tom Lynch type. I also think he might be okay in the backline as an interceptor (not that we need one currently - that’s pure theory based on my random and inexpert impressions of his strengths)

I’m actually a big advocate for playing him defence at Casey for a while - it might really help him.

I just don’t think he’s got the agility to be a Gunston type.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I’m actually a big advocate for playing him defence at Casey for a while - it might really help him.

I just don’t think he’s got the agility to be a Gunston type.
I’m not 100 percent sold on my Gunston theory yet, but I haven’t entirely discarded it yet either. He is much quicker than he appears - I think some of his stats show this (vague recollection) and he has some skills that get missed. He actually has good hands and some surprising ability swooping into the stoppage and passing it off to someone in space. His marking ability though often consists of entering the contest from whichever side and twisting grabs to win the ball. I think it is that that made me think he was like an interceptor.

Anyway we should keep him as something. It’s way too soon to forget his work at the end of last year. If Goody can stop being a campaigner and let him develop to his strengths I think he will be good.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Petty is not a natural forward . His set shot from 30 out that he sprayed haha . The Weed is . Has he even played 30 games yet ? He is still learning , in a forward line that has easily been the most dysfunctional of all the teams this year . We all got a glimpse of what he can be in last years finals , but at this stage he needs others down there that help not hinder him . T-Mac has been useless apart from the game he injured himself, T Smith play's a couple and gets injured, Pruess is lucky Goodwin has it in his head he want's 2 ruck men in the team , J.Smith who knows . Fritsch looked a natural down there but lets play him in the back line . We even plonked May down there but at least he had the sense to use his body for our advantage to help Fritsch(?) take a mark .
The Wagner's' are what what i would call honest footballers , nothing more or less . Nothing special but in because nothing else .
Our motto should be .........."Come to Melbourne , we will play you in any position other than the one you are drafted for" .

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Article on the heraldsun website confirming suspicions that GC want the priority pick in order to play the 'mates' card and get both Rowell and Anderson. And because it's us sitting second last and not Collingwood, the AFL will in all likelihood give it to them too.

Now Brodie Kemp, the next best available and perfect for the dees has done his ACL, and Goody won't have the luxury or the want to have another player sit out an entire year.

So we are ****ed over in triplicate essentially. Who's the next best in line? Or better yet, keep it to yourself in case a piano drops on their head

Article on the heraldsun website confirming suspicions that GC want the priority pick in order to play the 'mates' card and get both Rowell and Anderson. And because it's us sitting second last and not Collingwood, the AFL will in all likelihood give it to them too.

Now Brodie Kemp, the next best available and perfect for the dees has done his ACL, and Goody won't have the luxury or the want to have another player sit out an entire year.

So we are f’ed over in triplicate essentially. Who's the next best in line? Or better yet, keep it to yourself in case a piano drops on their head
If that happens we should all storm AFL house IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back