Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think you’re underrating a good pre season.
They have struggled against the lower sides. But they just beat the cats and port away. I’m not saying we’re any good ATM. Just saying the hype over dogs on weekends performance isn’t warranted.
Basing your value of a team over one weekend is daft.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I’m not basing a value on the weekend. I was originally commenting that I thought it was odd the media talked up the dogs and talked us down after the game which was quiet close.

Everyone over analyses close games. Win by a point and everything is fine, lose by one and everyone is trying to work out what went wrong

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm guessing GC have requested a priority pick so they can pick up both Anderson and Rowell who are mates, and that will presumably deter either of them from requesting a trade back home 2 years into their contract. Similar to how they picked up the 2 SA blokes last year. Of course this will probably happen cause it fks us over big time as Anderson would be a perfect fit at the dees.

God they are a stain on the comp.

I'm guessing GC have requested a priority pick so they can pick up both Anderson and Rowell who are mates, and that will presumably deter either of them from requesting a trade back home 2 years into their contract. Similar to how they picked up the 2 SA blokes last year. Of course this will probably happen cause it fks us over big time as Anderson would be a perfect fit at the dees.

Arguably we’re the team that’s suffered most from GWS and GC compromising the draft. Could have had two of O’Meara, Crouch or Whitfield in 2012 and then Hogan in 2013.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne

there's an interesting story on fox sports site, where Ben Dixon says GC should trade out all their young top end talent for established players with their heads screwed on, who can give them at least 4 years worth of good footy. I tend to agree with him.
they should trade out picks and developing young players this year for blokes that they know can play, who can bring a bit of experience and leadership. i reckon just about every club wouldn't mind losing a best 22 player from where they have depth, for a young talent, or pick, so they can fill a list hole of their own.
more early draft picks wont help them. they need that experience base first before bringing in the young guys. they might win some trades, they might lose some, but they have to be bold and try something so they don't get stuck on the draft talent in, lose games due to inexperience, watch them leave, merry-go-round.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
there's an interesting story on fox sports site, where Ben Dixon says GC should trade out all their young top end talent for established players with their heads screwed on, who can give them at least 4 years worth of good footy. I tend to agree with him.
they should trade out picks and developing young players this year for blokes that they know can play, who can bring a bit of experience and leadership. i reckon just about every club wouldn't mind losing a best 22 player from where they have depth, for a young talent, or pick, so they can fill a list hole of their own.
more early draft picks wont help them. they need that experience base first before bringing in the young guys. they might win some trades, they might lose some, but they have to be bold and try something so they don't get stuck on the draft talent in, lose games due to inexperience, watch them leave, merry-go-round.

Really don't see how that works. Established players with their heads screwed on aren't going to join the Gold Coast just for the prospect of lifting them from 18th to 11th over the course of five years.

If "established players with at least 4 years left" are good players, Gold Coast are going to be paying up in terms of draft picks, talent and/or salary to get them through the door. No one is going to be keen to join a s**t club just because the AFL wants them to be a success. If they're only after solid C grade citizens, then they won't cost that much but they can already do that without having a fire sale on their only decent kids. They picked up the likes of Young, Barlow, Miles, Murdoch, Lyons, Witts, Horlin-Smith, Hombsch, etc and they've been meh to OK to goodish, but a whole heap of those types of players is just going to root you to the bottom of the table for the next 5 years. They need some of their kids to turn into stars and stay at the club.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm guessing GC have requested a priority pick so they can pick up both Anderson and Rowell who are mates, and that will presumably deter either of them from requesting a trade back home 2 years into their contract.

I’ve heard that this has been discussed at GC and also at the AFL.

Hopefully for us it doesn’t happen but to be honest we really shouldn’t be thinking that 1 spot in the draft is our biggest problem.

I’d be happy for GC to be given an extra pick if they were told that they had to trade it for 1 or 2 older players.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
The Saints asking for a priority pick aswell to help cover, McCartins concussion issues as well as Stevens mental health and Robertons heart issues.

No way the AFL will approve that otherwise we will have teams asking for handouts anytime a player is it for an extended period of time.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Saints asking for a priority pick aswell to help cover, McCartins concussion issues as well as Stevens mental health and Robertons heart issues.

No way the AFL will approve that otherwise we will have teams asking for handouts anytime a player is it for an extended period of time.

I get where they’re coming from though. It’s not like they ruined their top pick like we did with Watts. McCartin is cooked with concussions and his career is done. Then they’ve got the other 2 with non-footy related issues taking them out (heart and mental health).

A priority pick for St Kilda would be attached to their first anyway, so it will almost certainly not affect our first pick.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I get where they’re coming from though. It’s not like they ruined their top pick like we did with Watts. McCartin is cooked with concussions and his career is done. Then they’ve got the other 2 with non-footy related issues taking them out (heart and mental health).

A priority pick for St Kilda would be attached to their first anyway, so it will almost certainly not affect our first pick.

From a priority point of view, what's the difference between a top pick having concussion issues and a top pick being a dud?

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
From a priority point of view, what's the difference between a top pick having concussion issues and a top pick being a dud?

Fair point. It could be argued that we just didn’t the best out of our one whereas the Saints weren’t given a chance.

In reality I suspect the Saints pick of McCartin was actually even worse than our pick with Watts. In the modern game, McCartin needed to be 200cm+ to be a success in my opinion.

When you add on the other issues to key players maybe there’s a case for the Saints though?

I probably wouldn't give them one myself (I don’t like the concept in the first place), but I wouldn’t have a problem with having the conversation. They’ve been unlucky.

Oct 14, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve heard that this has been discussed at GC and also at the AFL.

Hopefully for us it doesn’t happen but to be honest we really shouldn’t be thinking that 1 spot in the draft is our biggest problem.

I’d be happy for GC to be given an extra pick if they were told that they had to trade it for 1 or 2 older players.
OMac is an older player

On CPH1701 using BigFooty.com mobile app

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants

I don't agree with it, it's just unlucky. Matthew Egans career was over pretty quickly, Geelong didn't put their hand out.

Mccartins concussions were sustained playing football just a a player can easily miss a year with an ACL.

If they get any priority it should be the ability to add a state league player to their list, not another young raw player who wont be much of a replacement for the likes of Paddy while he is out.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Really don't see how that works. Established players with their heads screwed on aren't going to join the Gold Coast just for the prospect of lifting them from 18th to 11th over the course of five years.

If "established players with at least 4 years left" are good players, Gold Coast are going to be paying up in terms of draft picks, talent and/or salary to get them through the door. No one is going to be keen to join a s**t club just because the AFL wants them to be a success. If they're only after solid C grade citizens, then they won't cost that much but they can already do that without having a fire sale on their only decent kids. They picked up the likes of Young, Barlow, Miles, Murdoch, Lyons, Witts, Horlin-Smith, Hombsch, etc and they've been meh to OK to goodish, but a whole heap of those types of players is just going to root you to the bottom of the table for the next 5 years. They need some of their kids to turn into stars and stay at the club.
players will go there for better opportunities and money though. Gazza went there for more money. who else are gold coast gonna spend their money on.
im not talking those sorts of middle of the road journeymen players either. im talking they should target good players. if for example (not a good one i'll admit, but I doubt we have much that's suitable for them), GC were to come to us ask us to trade a mid like Brayshaw for a forward like a Rankine or an early draft pick, then wouldn't you go for it? I probably would, we have other mid options but not many decent forwards.
would Brayshaw go for it? not sure but he would no doubt get more money going to the GC than with us and could play permanent inside mid, as opposed to wherever Goody feels like sticking him, for us.
there must be good players and clubs out there open to making moves. they should find out.
pay up, give a good future player to get a good now player. get a few of those deals done then GC can go back to drafting kids thereafter.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
A bigger salary cap and AFL supported coaching/off field assistance is the way I would deal with it.

Mind you, I’m also a strong advocate of a Tasmanian team and a completion where everyone plays each other twice.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
players will go there for better opportunities and money though. Gazza went there for more money. who else are gold coast gonna spend their money on.
im not talking those sorts of middle of the road journeymen players either. im talking they should target good players. if for example (not a good one i'll admit, but I doubt we have much that's suitable for them), GC were to come to us ask us to trade a mid like Brayshaw for a forward like a Rankine or an early draft pick, then wouldn't you go for it? I probably would, we have other mid options but not many decent forwards.
would Brayshaw go for it? not sure but he would no doubt get more money going to the GC than with us and could play permanent inside mid, as opposed to wherever Goody feels like sticking him, for us.
there must be good players and clubs out there open to making moves. they should find out.
pay up, give a good future player to get a good now player. get a few of those deals done then GC can go back to drafting kids thereafter.

And then GC will end up with a bloated salary cap for a below average list. You can overpay a few players but you can't overpay everyone. I don't see how you can build a semi-decent list recruiting good players from other clubs. People are going to want more money to go to a basket case of a club.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
A bigger salary cap and AFL supported coaching/off field assistance is the way I would deal with it.

Mind you, I’m also a strong advocate of a Tasmanian team and a completion where everyone plays each other twice.

Yep, that would be one way of improving a team's chances of dealing with the situation, but you'd be very, very dirty if you were Carlton, the Saints, Norf, us, etc. If the clubs were in more desirable locations, then perhaps the AFL would jump in and do something about it if we just let the thread unravel far enough.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
And then GC will end up with a bloated salary cap for a below average list. You can overpay a few players but you can't overpay everyone. I don't see how you can build a semi-decent list recruiting good players from other clubs. People are going to want more money to go to a basket case of a club.
I understand that, and I think short term they should be able to afford to pay good players more money to come to the club. if they haven't got salary cap room to move with their current list, then they're in a world of trouble and are beyond help.
I just think if they want to improve it is an option for them. a better option than just asking for another draft pick then waiting a couple of years to see if they come good, meanwhile they are getting flogged every week.
sure it probably wont deliver them any premierships but it should make them more competitive short term. then surely that will help make the club stronger and increases their chances of holding onto young players in the future if they can manage to be more competitive. I don't think there's any quick fix here though to be honest.

We had our share of priority picks in the past. Why would Anderson be a perfect fit anyway, isn't he more of an inside mid?

Back