2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually want to see GC work, so I want the AFL to help them somehow. Top 2 picks isn't going to be the fix though - they need to find a way to get 2 x Top 20 players in the competition there...

I think they need salary cap relief so that they can go after some senior, ready to go, reinforcements.

They should throw $12m over 6/7 years at Nat Fyfe.

I think it’s more likely that GC don’t get pick 2 from the AFL.

I hope you are right, if Rowell and Noah weren't best mates i don't think they would get it, but i have a feeling the afl will help them out to ensure they both stay up there.

Yep the decision has already been made, the AFL are just waiting to confirm we don't usurp GC from last place, scuttling their plans of drafting the two best mates together. Its a joke of a decision but we are melbourne and therefore completely powerless

Seriously though there are other talented players in this draft though that suit our needs.

Ash, Young, Serong, Flanders would fit into our side. Who to say one of those end up the best from this draft?

If the AFL actually wants Gold Coast to improve then they won't give them pick 2, they will give them an extra 1-2 million in cap a year. An extra too draft pick just encourages them to play one more kid, which they already have dozens of on the list.

With more salary cap it isn't just stars they can target, but some solid B graders who would earn 400-500k at another club and would move for 700-800. Set some. Standards for the team and make the buckets of kids they already have work for a spot in the team.

They have enough young talent from early picks IMO. They also have a couple of first rounders. Albeit one is tied to Brisbane. They don’t seem to have a second rounder so perhaps give them an end of first round pick.
The year AFL should not take into account the fact they may pick up best mates with picks one and two. Or the fact Melbourne May be better than a 17th paces side.

If the AFL actually wants Gold Coast to improve then they won't give them pick 2, they will give them an extra 1-2 million in cap a year. An extra too draft pick just encourages them to play one more kid, which they already have dozens of on the list.

With more salary cap it isn't just stars they can target, but some solid B graders who would earn 400-500k at another club and would move for 700-800. Set some. Standards for the team and make the buckets of kids they already have work for a spot in the team.

Giving them an extra salary cap top up just encourages them to overpay whichever mediocre mercenaries are willing to forego their career in favour of a big pay day and artificially inflates their wage bill because people who are already at the club will want a cut of that action as well. Throwing cash at players just ends up being divisive for the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL knows what's good for them, it'll be pre-draft selections for GC again to use on state league talent and QLDers.
You forget who the second bottom club is. In the great farce that is the MFC opus, GC will get a minimum of one priority pick, at the start of the draft. We will then proceed to draft the 2019 version of Jimmy Toumpas/Cale Morton/Jack Watts/Tom Scully/Jack Trengove at 3, while the rest of the top 5 of this years draft go on to become hall of gamers.
Oh yeah!! Go Dees!

They'll get pick two because of the m8s factor. It worked for Brisbane, who drafted in pairs as recently as last year when they brought in McCarthy to get Neale over the line. Although the m8s factor is unlikely to see them retain Lukosius, it appears, despite Rankine signing on. I don't think we can be too upset over it, given the AFL bought us a CEO and coach. Not their fault we cocked up the replacements for both.

Can’t help but find it ironic that we’re the side that will be most affected by a Gold Coast PP after we paid them pick 5 for May and Richmond got Lynch for free giving them pick 3. Not that May would have come to us now but if we’d gotten him as a FA this year we’d have kept pick 5 and GC would have gotten a compensation pick for him.

This.

Giving them an extra salary cap top up just encourages them to overpay whichever mediocre mercenaries are willing to forego their career in favour of a big pay day and artificially inflates their wage bill because people who are already at the club will want a cut of that action as well. Throwing cash at players just ends up being divisive for the playing group.

If they are meeting the salary cap rules then they are already paying the current crop more than they are worth.

If they are meeting the salary cap rules then they are already paying the current crop more than they are worth.

True, so giving them an extra $1 or $2M is just going to inflate the salaries even more. They're going to need more than 1 or 2 good players to drag them out of this hole.

Off work sick so thought I'd have a the top end talent from recent drafts. Amazing to think that the following may not be in the AFL system in 2020:

Pick 2 2010
Pick 3 2011 (unless he got a multi year deal, but certainly out of favour?)
Pick 2 2012 (already out of the system, as pick 4 is about to be)
Pick 1 2013
Pick 1 2014 (and pick 4 likely as well)

Admittedly some of the talent was compromised, with the expansion clubs coming in around this time, but to be missing at least one of the top 3 from each draft when we're 5 to 9 years down the track is surprising.

Off work sick so thought I'd have a the top end talent from recent drafts. Amazing to think that the following may not be in the AFL system in 2020:

Pick 2 2010
Pick 1 2013

Admittedly some of the talent was compromised, with the expansion clubs coming in around this time, but to be missing at least one of the top 3 from each draft when we're 5 to 9 years down the track is surprising.
That's why it's hilariously when supporters project every single top 30 player into superstardom

That's why it's hilariously when supporters project every single top 30 player into superstardom

I could also throw in pick 2 from 2009 as well.

Obviously in some of these instances injury and mental health have been to blame for ruining careers. But that's the gamble of the game.

Always hated all of those messiah memes of Watts back in the day. Some of our fans just accepted he would be one of the best in the league within a couple of years, and like many things associated with this club, it didn't end well...

I could also throw in pick 2 from 2009 as well.

Obviously in some of these instances injury and mental health have been to blame for ruining careers. But that's the gamble of the game.

Always hated all of those messiah memes of Watts back in the day. Some of our fans just accepted he would be one of the best in the league within a couple of years, and like many things associated with this club, it didn't end well...
Half of GWS picks have been rat s**t

Pick 2 2010
Pick 1 2013

So it goes
2010: Bennell
2011: Tyson
2012: O’Rourke & pick 4 Toumpas is already gone. (#3 Plowman is pretty average)
2013: Boyd
2014: McCartin (#4 Pickett has retired)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back