Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Regarding the GCS priority pick, "They have a compelling case this year." Gil's own words today. Also said it's a matter for the commission but don't get too cosy watching Anderson's highlights vid just yet. We ain't getting pick 2.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Regarding the GCS priority pick, "They have a compelling case this year." Gil's own words today. Also said it's a matter for the commission but don't get too cosy watching Anderson's highlights vid just yet. We ain't getting pick 2.
Yeah but an extra picks in the 50s is a priority pick. I'll wait an see before I melt about them getting 2

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
I liked Buckenara's idea of letting them have 4-5 players above the age of 30 outside the cap for a couple of years.

EG Lewis, Jack, McVeigh etc

There are better things they can do for them to get a quicker result for the team, giving them another 18 year old isnt one but i like the idea that you have just posted, this helps them to get some leadership in to teach the kids how to train and gives them the oplortunity to actually develop their kids in the state league rather than throwing them straight in the deep end.

They should just get state league concessions again. All they need is experienced heads.
They need experienced AFL players not State league players. They should be throwing big money at whoever is a free agent this year.

I liked Buckenara's idea of letting them have 4-5 players above the age of 30 outside the cap for a couple of years.

EG Lewis, Jack, McVeigh etc
Understand the rationale, but it's not much use if they're out for half a season because of niggly injuries. Jack and McVeigh have both missed big chunks of the past couple of years through injury and Lewis is starting to get similar problems.
Also just gave me a horror flashback to Neeld's recruitment of Byrnes, Rodan, Dawes etc. for 'experience'. There's more quality in those you mention but when the end comes blokes can drop off rapidly.

Juzzk1d

Senior List
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does anyone think Gold Coast might pull the wool over a lot of eyes here and draft Anderson with their first pick? or is Rowell a clear out and out number 1? I just think Anderson has that x factor and ability to damage games resting forward and hitting the scoreboard that Rowell doesn't have.

Last edited:
Would love to get someone like Hugh McLuggage in the draft. Kid is in his third season and is a massive part of the reason the Lions are on top of the ladder. Arguably their most damaging midfielder in a few of their wins.
AA squad in his third season. Baller. Crazy McGrath went 1 when Clug was consensus right up until the draft. Taranto at 2 is way better too. And McGrath is a handy player

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oliver was in the AA team (not just squad) in his third season and we were playing finals.

No reason we can't draft similarly again this year.

Reality IS

Debutant
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anderson looks to have that xfactor to be a real game changer...but Rowell is more ready to go and has a lower floor.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If (when) GC get pick 2 and access to the clear best 2 kids in this draft, I wonder whether trading down to get say Brodie Kemp and Fischer McCasey would of interest/possible?

That way we have also used 2 first rounders and can trade our first rounder next year if we want to.

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

I’d love to know what that ‘compelling case’ could be.

Get ready to hear blah, blah, blah from Gill.

Translation...

‘My mates and I stuffed up setting up Gold Coast. I mean, it’s not as if we know what we’re doing. We just got these gigs because of who we know.

Now the club president is mouthing off on radio all the time, saying he’s going to be like an 800lb gorilla, even having a go at past players. That’s scary. We don’t want him saying nasty things about us. We’ve got reputations to maintain.

Luckily, we’ve got a fix. As it turns out, my mates and I, the ones that stuffed up Gold Coast in the first place, now run the AFL. We can do whatever we want. How sweet is that? We’ll just buy this guy off with Melbourne’s pick 2. And, if anyone asks, we can just say that it was a ‘collective decision’. Not a word of a lie in that. Who says we have no integrity?’

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Does anyone think Gold Coast might pull the wool over a lot of eyes here and draft Anderson with their first pick? or is Rowell a clear out and out number 1? I just think Anderson has that x factor and ability to damage games resting forward and hitting the scoreboard that Rowell doesn't have.
if we dont get pick 2 as well, then we will take Rowell before Anderson easily. Higher floor, great leadership qualities, almost a sure thing to be a 200+ player. Even tho Anderson projects to be the better player we need a sure thing not a guess

Back