2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

We havent even presented to the AFL yet, we wont find out till late September
According to Channel 7, the commission is ‘deciding’ tomorrow, so you would have to think they’ll announce it soon after.

But considering that they’re already leaking that it will be pick 2 and that it won’t have to be traded, it sounds like it’s already been decided.

According to Channel 7, the commission is ‘deciding’ tomorrow, so you would have to think they’ll announce it soon after.

But considering that they’re already leaking that it will be pick 2 and that it won’t have to be traded, it sounds like it’s already been decided.
Who's leaking it?

The club presents to the AFL commission tomorrow, channel 7 are wrong

Either that or the presentation is a formality
It honestly did feel from the outset that the AFL accredited media were supportive of the Gold Coast top of the draft priority pick, which is the AFL’s usual mechanism for getting the public accustomed to an idea to avoid negative reactions. I think I will be a bit surprised if they don’t receive picks one and two in the draft.

So who can we get for pick 3?

Probably Lachlan Ash.

The other option might be to trade it down and take the injured Brodie Kemp with a late first rounder such as Fischer McCasey.

Another option could be to trade it for a first round pick next year (I think we can do that so long as we use 2 first rounders next year).

A final thought would be if we could turn it into Hill and Papley but that’s a pipe dream as we probably couldn’t fit them both in the cap.

Probably Lachlan Ash.

The other option might be to trade it down and take the injured Brodie Kemp with a late first rounder such as Fischer McCasey.

Another option could be to trade it for a first round pick next year (I think we can do that so long as we use 2 first rounders next year).

A final thought would be if we could turn it into Hill and Papley but that’s a pipe dream as we probably couldn’t fit them both in the cap.

This could be a handy option but i dont think we can afford to not inject some talent even if you into our side ASAP.

I wonder what the AFL will do in 4 years time whrn the Suns are still lingering at the bottom because they just keep getting pumped up with young kids...surely they will then realise the PP option wont work.

It's ridiculous. Draft picks didn't do * all to save Brisbane Melbourne or Carlton for a decade. You can have as many picks as you want won't matter a * if a quarter of the playing list is always ready to leave

The club presents to the AFL commission tomorrow, channel 7 are wrong

I'm not sure a Powerpoint presentation is going to provide any more evidence towards receiving a priority pick that the past 4 or 5 months and the ladder position haven't already shown.

I don’t really give a s**t if the Suns get pick 2. The AFL is always going to AFL. We got the consensus 1 & 2 in 2009, Sculgove were the next big thing. Meanwhile, Richmond who were seething at our ill gotten gains picked up a kid with neck tats and a bit of baggage. Hopefully, for our sakes something similar happens here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ridiculous. Draft picks didn't do fu** all to save Brisbane Melbourne or Carlton for a decade. You can have as many picks as you want won't matter a fu** if a quarter of the playing list is always ready to leave
About half of Brisbane's team on the weekend would have either been drafted in the top 25 or been zone/academy selections I reckon. I do wish we'd gotten Lachie Neale for pick 6 though.

About half of Brisbane's team on the weekend would have either been drafted in the top 25 or been zone/academy selections I reckon. I do wish we'd gotten Lachie Neale for pick 6 though.
Gist of the post go over your head?

I don’t really give a s**t if the Suns get pick 2. The AFL is always going to AFL. We got the consensus 1 & 2 in 2009, Sculgove were the next big thing. Meanwhile, Richmond who were seething at our ill gotten gains picked up a kid with neck tats and a bit of baggage. Hopefully, for our sakes something similar happens here.
Think it'll be good for us to now draft a player who has zero expectations which wouldn't have happened with Anderson. Quality of the top 10 has been pretty high for the best two years, would be happy to get a player even as good as the second or third quartile from 2017/2018.

I'm not even sure what we're arguing here tbh, I'm just bored.
All I said was in GCs position they need more than pick 2. If 4 picks last year inside 25 didn't help why would 3 this year?

Yeah me too. Rained here so got * all for work

All I said was in GCs position they need more than pick 2. If 4 picks last year inside 25 didn't help why would 3 this year?

Yeah me too. Rained here so got fu** all for work
I think it speaks volumes of how the AFL wants to promote an image of the depth of talent in the country, and the narrative that GC can flourish by drawing upon that. What's annoying as you've alluded to is that while that might be true it's likely to just be squandered up there, and either picks 1 and 2 will never come on or they'll leave in a few years and some big Victorian club will poach them for a lower pick and ultimately this draft has been compromised. It's frustrating that ofc this is happening in a year where we are down the bottom but I actually think none of us would feel irked by it if it was any other club receiving the PP. Feels like the AFL has bought into this stupid 'best mates' narrative as well, like that means anything lmao.

Everyone in my office is away on a conference in Vienna so I'm literally just here in the office to make up the numbers as the lowly admin who never gets to go anywhere. At least Melbourne is warming up slowly.

The AFL will have leaked it so people get used to the idea. Probably the reason they've released the news that Martin wants out. He's one of the few Suns that most footy fans know by name. Unfortunate for us, but what can you do.

The AFL will have leaked it so people get used to the idea. Probably the reason they've released the news that Martin wants out. He's one of the few Suns that most footy fans know by name. Unfortunate for us, but what can you do.
If an organisation has to desensitise its audience to its decisions it reeks of a lack of accountability IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back