2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

If an organisation has to desensitise its audience to its decisions it reeks of a lack of accountability IMO.
This is the AFL. This is what they do. Doesn't help that their audience is generally rooted in 1982, but they make their own bed for the most part.

This is the AFL. This is what they do. Doesn't help that their audience is generally rooted in 1982, but they make their own bed for the most part.
Can’t think of many sporting leagues that are so reliant upon their PR departments.

I think it speaks volumes of how the AFL wants to promote an image of the depth of talent in the country, and the narrative that GC can flourish by drawing upon that. What's annoying as you've alluded to is that while that might be true it's likely to just be squandered up there, and either picks 1 and 2 will never come on or they'll leave in a few years and some big Victorian club will poach them for a lower pick and ultimately this draft has been compromised. It's frustrating that ofc this is happening in a year where we are down the bottom but I actually think none of us would feel irked by it if it was any other club receiving the PP. Feels like the AFL has bought into this stupid 'best mates' narrative as well, like that means anything lmao.

Everyone in my office is away on a conference in Vienna so I'm literally just here in the office to make up the numbers as the lowly admin who never gets to go anywhere. At least Melbourne is warming up slowly.
Vienna? FFS. Who goes to a conference in Vienna? Was Cape Schanck booked out?

How good that the trade value of the pick will plummet because of the GC PP. Probably wouldn’t have mattered last year when the top 7 was really even, but of course it had to be this year when we finished bottom 2 that there was such a big gap between 2 and 3.

How good that the trade value of the pick will plummet because of the GC PP. Probably wouldn’t have mattered last year when the top 7 was really even, but of course it had to be this year when we finished bottom 2 that there was such a big gap between 2 and 3.
We can comfort ourselves knowing that we are bloody terrible at developing draftees anyway so it's probably not going to matter much.

We can comfort ourselves knowing that we are bloody terrible at developing draftees anyway so it's probably not going to matter much.
I didn’t say anything about our drafting, I said the value of the pick on the trade market goes down.

Oh, ok, haven't been following this discussion carefully enough. So you are hoping we will trade pick 3 for a player or several lower picks?

I think we are looking to split or pick 3 into 2 lower picks, say 13 and 15.

I think we are looking to split or pick 3 into 2 lower picks, say 13 and 15.

So we either like 2 kids that we think we can get with late first round picks, or we like 1 kid we think we can get with a late first round pick plus have our eye on a player we are keen to trade for.

I really hope it’s Brad Hill and we are burning Freo like they did to us when they drafted down last year..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did the AFL see how bad we were this year? Beating Sydney was probably the season highlight. WE deserve a PP. Picks 2 and 3 please Gill.

So we either like 2 kids that we think we can get with late first round picks, or we like 1 kid we think we can get with a late first round pick plus have our eye on a player we are keen to trade for.

I really hope it’s Brad Hill and we are burning Freo like they did to us when they drafted down last year..

I hope we look at Kemp and use the other to trade for a ready made player, kemp wont play next year but at least we will have a ready made player in with the other pick.

I hope we look at Kemp and use the other to trade for a ready made player, kemp wont play next year but at least we will have a ready made player in with the other pick.

Apparently the stats show that young players who do an ACL are something like 4 times more likely to do another, than other players.

That’s why clubs back right off on kids like him. Probably how we got Gawn at 34 or whatever he was.

Anyway I’d be ok getting Kemp if we also like the other option.

Can't believe the GC would get pick 2 so we are pushed back to pick 3 we only won 5 bloody games!
And we only beat them by a few points in the last minute of the game FFS. What a year to get downgraded from 2 to 3 when 1&2 are daylight ahead of the rest. And you can bet MFC wont even kick up a stink.
Apparently the stats show that young players who do an ACL are something like 4 times more likely to do another, than other players.

That’s why clubs back right off on kids like him. Probably how we got Gawn at 34 or whatever he was.

Anyway I’d be ok getting Kemp if we also like the other option.
Also why we never shouldve given up 2 first rounders for an OOC Lever.

The last time we looked to split a pick didn’t necessarily work out well. Yet we still got a former number 3 draft pick and retained a pick in the top 10. The club would want to get a pretty good deal from the perspective of fans if they were to give up pick 2/3.
If we’d drafted Sheed or Cripps with pick 9 that trade would have been a massive win.

And we only beat them by a few points in the last minute of the game FFS. What a year to get downgraded from 2 to 3 when 1&2 are daylight ahead of the rest. And you can bet MFC wont even kick up a stink.

What would kicking up a stink achieve?

We could end up with GWS picks 11 and 12 for our pick 3, that would allow us to trade next year's first if there was a big name available.

Remember when we basically got a priority pick for James Frawley who spent all year playing as a forward? Or when the AFL paid for our CEO and coach? Or when the AFL punished us for blatant tanking by fining us and then reimbursing with handout money?

We can't say s**t

Also this sooking about only being 2 good players is nonsense. Here is the top 10 picks of 6 drafts recently and then 3 consecutive picks between 8-11 in the same year

(Note I didn't even research this, just picked a random number to start drafting at, I could very easily have picked the 3 best players outside the top 5 each year and made this a much easier win)

Swallow, Bennell,Day

Heppell, Prestia, Gorringe

Patton Coniglio Tyson

Tomlinson, Sumner, Greene

Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman

Mayes, Vlastuin, Daniher

Boyd, Kelly, Billings

Salem, Freeman, Sheed

McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw

Wright, Moore, Cockatoo

Weitering, Schache, Mills

Mckay, Milera, Curnow

In my opinion in 5 of the 6 years ( happy to concede the Brayshaw Petracca year so 4) the 3 picks taken if the draft started at 8 or 9 are better than picks 1-2-3

Such a ridiculous over reaction to draft picks every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back