2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Reality IS

Debutant
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
The key decision makers are looking short term (Goodwin/Mahoney) so they are looking to trade down and also get a ready made player in.

A young draft pick won't help them win more games between round 1-8 which are the games that will determine if these two guys are still at the club come the bye round!

The key decision makers are looking short term (Goodwin/Mahoney) so they are looking to trade down and also get a ready made player in.

A young draft pick won't help them win more games between round 1-8 which are the games that will determine if these two guys are still at the club come the bye round!
Depends how good they are. A Clayton Oliver would.

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m not sure how we’re going to trade down from pick three. Looking at any analysis of the draft, there’s no consensus on who is the best prospect after picks 1 and 2. If you can get as good a player at pick 11 as you can at pick 3, why would you be willing to give up two top 20 picks?

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I’m not sure how we’re going to trade down from pick three. Looking at any analysis of the draft, there’s no consensus on who is the best prospect after picks 1 and 2. If you can get as good a player at pick 11 as you can at pick 3, why would you be willing to give up two top 20 picks?
Draft points ... GWS have Tom Green from there academy who will attract a bid early, and if they're holding 12 and 13 or whatever they end up with, they'll have to use those pics to get him, but if they've traded them for 3, they can take a player with 3, and then use later picks when a bid comes for Green.

Draft points ... GWS have Tom Green from there academy who will attract a bid early, and if they're holding 12 and 13 or whatever they end up with, they'll have to use those pics to get him, but if they've traded them for 3, they can take a player with 3, and then use later picks when a bid comes for Green.
Unless GC bid on him with pick 2.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I get your point and agree they want experienced players. But look at Rozee Duursma Walsh. They actually impacted. So did Stack. Although not an early pick.
I’ll be concerned if we are so desperate to move on the early pick we get smashed in a deal.

I get your point and agree they want experienced players. But look at Rozee Duursma Walsh. They actually impacted. So did Stack. Although not an early pick.
I’ll be concerned if we are so desperate to move on the early pick we get smashed in a deal.
I'd trade pick 3 for Stack in a ******* heartbeat.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah don't think they would risk GWS bout matching and taking Anderson.

Can't recall where GWS' first pick will be (probably 10 ish?), but it'd be a fairly daft move to bid on a player worse than others available just to spite another club.

Which they'd be mad to do given Rowell and Anderson's standing.
Most people rate Green as being as good as if not better than both, and there's no way GWS wouldn't match the bid. It's not spiteful, it just makes sense.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Most people rate Green as being as good as if not better than both, and there's no way GWS wouldn't match the bid. It's not spiteful, it just makes sense.

Everyone seems to be saying Rowell and Anderson are the clear top two. If you've got the top two picks, take the top two players. No silly buggers required - I'm sure we're perfectly capable of doing that with pick 3.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’m sceptical as to whether they will actually trade down or split the pick. With supporter antipathy at an all time high, I reckon they’re kidding themselves if they think they can a nuanced discussion about the merits of trading a blue chip pick 2/3 for the magic beans of pick 11 & 12. Any splitting of the pick would have to be along similar lines to the Tyson & Pick 9 for pick 2 deal in my opinion.

Back