2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Just one dude’s opinion but he has us taking Young (3) and Weightman (8), leaving the Blues to swoop on Kemp at 10.

We already gifted the Blues Charlie Curnow a few seasons back when we chose ‘safe ootion’ Weid. I would hate to see that happen again.

The idea of a small forward in the top ten makes me very nervous. He’d have to be utterly exceptional with Cyril Rioli like traits.

Any chance of taking both Young and Ash? I'd be interested to know how much midfield upside they both have as current half backs. One an elite kick, one with explosive pace...

We have a few glorious kicks IMO. May, Fritsch, Melksham, Salem at times, even Hore I reckon has a great peg. Trac is a very good field kick, as is Oliver on the rare occasion that he's in space. Problem is we play a game style which makes this irrelevant at times. In 2015 Brayshaw was pulling off some incredible kicks, but has been conditioned to just throw it on the boot because we don't spread well enough to make it worth attempting to break the field open by foot.

Anyway a back 6 of May, Salem, Lever, Hore, Young and Jetta is six very good field kicks. If you push someone like Tomlinson, TMac or Petty back to play as the third tall you can release one to distribute as the spare defender or come up the wing.

He never did. If you are referring to him kicking it as far as he could to bounce in front of Garlett that's not a super kick, that's what our midfield does now but instead of having space it's crowded.

This is exactly it. Not only is he in all likelihood the 3rd best player available, he's also the player with the assets we need the most. 'Best available' or 'horses for courses' argument is irrelevant; he ticks both boxes.
So why am I nervous that we won't select him?

That's where you have to be careful with these players,
What's his marking like?
Can he spoil the ball against men?
Does he have that same vision in a crowded back half?
What's his tackling like?
Does he run and carry the footy?
Is he brave enough to go back with the flight?
Can he read the flight of the ball well?
Etc

Salem is a good player for us but he adds nothing as a defender. Just cause Young kicks it well doesn't make him an elite AFL talent.

Bailey Fritsch is a perfect example, all the skill in the world but looked delist worthy as a defender in a side under pressure.

Honestly from what I've seen of Young from the 10 or so videos he looks more or less the same as Whitfield and Toumpas at junior level. Similar roles, similar kicking tendencies at that level. Fewer goals than Toumpas maybe...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly from what I've seen of Young from the 10 or so videos he looks more or less the same as Whitfield and Toumpas at junior level. Similar roles, similar kicking tendencies at that level. Fewer goals than Toumpas maybe...
For all the s**t Toump gets he was looking good pre-hip injury,

Young also takes contested marks. Toump not so many

He never did. If you are referring to him kicking it as far as he could to bounce in front of Garlett that's not a super kick, that's what our midfield does now but instead of having space it's crowded.

Yep. Gus when he’s in space has never been amazing but wouldn’t call him terrible either, I’d say for AFL standard he’s a 6.5/10 on both sides of his body, he *s up the depth of his kicks sometimes but his strength is he is about the same level on both sides so he isn’t predictable. Certainly has never passed the ball brilliantly though.

Yep. Gus when he’s in space has never been amazing but wouldn’t call him terrible either, I’d say for AFL standard he’s a 6.5/10 on both sides of his body, he fu**s up the depth of his kicks sometimes but his strength is he is about the same level on both sides so he isn’t predictable. Certainly has never passed the ball brilliantly though.
It's the decision making of Oliver and Brayshaw that's the issue not their actual ability. Vineys just a s**t kick.

It's the decision making of Oliver and Brayshaw that's the issue not their actual ability. Vineys just a s**t kick.

Oliver can kick the ball like a bullet but has no confidence in himself and takes the easy way out every time, either blindly hacking it forward or handballing when he shouldn’t. Wish he had Petraccas confidence with ball in hand, I swear if we don’t turn Trac into a top 20 player in the comp it’s a huge indictment on our development.

Just one dude’s opinion but he has us taking Young (3) and Weightman (8), leaving the Blues to swoop on Kemp at 10.

We already gifted the Blues Charlie Curnow a few seasons back when we chose ‘safe ootion’ Weid. I would hate to see that happen again.

The idea of a small forward in the top ten makes me very nervous. He’d have to be utterly exceptional with Cyril Rioli like traits.
Four spots on the list now. Maybe we will get one over on Carlton and pick up Jack Martin in the preseason.

Are you able to post the highlight package of Kemp?

I can’t find one.
I literally googled Brodie Kemp highlights and the very first thing that came up was his highlights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back