2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Kemp will slide to 8, other than GC who will take Anderson and Kemp we will get our second pick at 8, i don't see any of the other teams willing to take a guy that probably won't play next year and will have some question marks over him, most teams will look to add someone who can impact in the first 2 years, if we take young at 3 we then can take a risk on Kemp at 8 knowing we will already have a player that can impact straight away.

We may rate Kemp better than all of next year's crop of draftees so makes sense to take him and get him on the field in 2021.
I can see Sydney spoiling the party at pick 5. They have a fair bit of young talent developing very nicely at the moment and they may be willing to sit tight with Kemp for 2020. Their fans aren’t the sort that will riot if they don’t see their first draft pick that same year. Most of their fans won’t know his name until he kicks 7 goals in front of them at the scg. Also the Daniher pursuit indicates that they aren’t deterred by an injury history. If they see him as best available they will take him. Reckon they take Kemp or Serong and we will take whichever of those two they leave us.

I can see Sydney spoiling the party at pick 5. They have a fair bit of young talent developing very nicely at the moment and they may be willing to sit tight with Kemp for 2020. Their fans aren’t the sort that will riot if they don’t see their first draft pick that same year. Most of their fans won’t know his name until he kicks 7 goals in front of them at the scg. Also the Daniher pursuit indicates that they aren’t deterred by an injury history. If they see him as best available they will take him. Reckon they take Kemp or Serong and we will take whichever of those two they leave us.
My concern is that GWS trade down from pick 6 and whoever they trade with takes the other at 6. We could possibly be looking at Ash, Weightman or Stephens at 8 :S

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
My concern is that GWS trade down from pick 6 and whoever they trade with takes the other at 6. We could possibly be looking at Ash, Weightman or Stephens at 8 :S
How will they be able to afford Green if they trade down? Don’t they need 6 to match a bid that will probably come as soon as pick 3?

How will they be able to afford Green if they trade down? Don’t they need 6 to match a bid that will probably come as soon as pick 3?
They need 1787 points to match a bid at 3. Technically they could trade 6 for 10 and 22 from Fremantle worth 2240 points and get Green + 453 points which equals 39 points. This would actually be better for them since pick 6 is only worth 1750. Similarly they could trade 6 for 14 and 17 from Geelong or 15 and 20 from GC, all of which are worth more points than pick 6.

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
They need 1787 points to match a bid at 3. Technically they could trade 6 for 10 and 22 from Fremantle worth 2240 points and get Green + 453 points which equals 39 points. This would actually be better for them since pick 6 is only worth 1750. Similarly they could trade 6 for 14 and 17 from Geelong or 15 and 20 from GC, all of which are worth more points than pick 6.
You mean pick 39 yeah? That deal makes sense for them but then Freo seem to be paying too much just to move up 4 spots. It starts to make my head hurt speculating about the pick trading. All I know is if Kemp is gone by 8, I’ll be happy enough if we take Serong, but mostly hope we take Gould. Gould looks like he could take over from Hibberd tomorrow, and I don’t want us to draft a small forward in the first round.

You mean pick 39 yeah? That deal makes sense for them but then Freo seem to be paying too much just to move up 4 spots. It starts to make my head hurt speculating about the pick trading. All I know is if Kemp is gone by 8, I’ll be happy enough if we take Serong, but mostly hope we take Gould. Gould looks like he could take over from Hibberd tomorrow, and I don’t want us to draft a small forward in the first round.
Ideally some combo of Ash, Robertson and Stephens will go between 4-7 which leaves us with at least one of Serong, Jackson, Flanders and Kemp who all seem to have much higher ceilings

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ideally some combo of Ash, Robertson and Stephens will go between 4-7 which leaves us with at least one of Serong, Jackson, Flanders and Kemp who all seem to have much higher ceilings
You know that now you’ve said it Serong, Jackson, Flanders and Kemp are going to go 4-7 right? Weightman it is then

You know that now you’ve said it Serong, Jackson, Flanders and Kemp are going to go 4-7 right? Weightman it is then
Ironically it looks like not only will the GC pick deprive us of Anderson it might push us to pick 9 in a draft with a clear top 8.

Cobwebs

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Todays version of the draft standings. Interesting what they say about green and the early pick 3.

Good to see we are keen on Pickett, i would happily shift our pick 8 down if we were confident of being able to get him with a later pick.

Wouldnt be upset if GWS didnt match our bid, seriously looks like 1 of best 2 in this draft, not exactly the type of player we need but we will squeeze him in.

A mix of Young, Green, Pickett, Kemp and Serong would be a great result.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I had a dream last night that North had pick two, and selected Weightman.

What does that mean about my life?
It means you need to cut down on the Stillnox

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

Interesting update on possible first round manoeuvrings. Not out of the question we end up with Tom Green at 3 if GWS don’t match a bid from us. Would love to end up with Green and Kemp. Two 190+cm beasts likened to Cripps and Bont.

Interesting update on possible first round manoeuvrings. Not out of the question we end up with Tom Green at 3 if GWS don’t match a bid from us. Would love to end up with Green and Kemp. Two 190+cm beasts likened to Cripps and Bont.

Well at least we wouldn't lose the contested possession count ever again.

That stuff is the devil, genuinely changed my mood and mind set.

Hopefully it goes better for you than it did me.
So far so good. Although my mindset was already ****ed and I am the devil :p

cougar000

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
In a house
AFL Club
Melbourne
Story in the HS saying Dees ponder giant draft move (green bid) but have been urged to pounce on one of the nations best ruck/forward prospect. That is all I can see as don’t have full acces.

Back