Game Day 2019 AFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good explanation of how Swans aided Brisbane in stopping Essendon getting Brisbane academy player.
Stop the clock!
When Essendon placed a bid on Brisbane Academy player Keidean Coleman at No.37, the Lions were caught on the hop and a 10-minute scramble ensued with calls to at least two other clubs to get their man. Brisbane had the next pick – 38 – but didn't want to use that on the over-aged utility, so got on the phone to West Coast and Sydney in a bid to trade picks. As the five-minute allotted time began to evaporate, the AFL had to stop the clock so it could rubber-stamp the pick swap, dragging out the selection and in turn heightening the nerves for Coleman. Brisbane got the NEAFL premiership player after a deal that involved turning their pick No.38 into the Swans' picks 47 and 59.

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders
Is it that much stronger these days though? Wasn't Grassy looking great in the SANFL and now according to posters he looks a dud in the NEAFL.
With GWS, GC, Brissy and Swans reserves the NEAFL must be close to passing the SANFL if it hasn't already. Couple of other pretty good teams too.

It's a different sort of comp - the SANFL is a league full of Southports, older guys with more physicality there, and built to contend at a low-paid professional level rather than partially functioning as a development team. I wouldn't think they're worlds apart in terms of ruck quality, that would come down to who the specific rucks are. But for general ground level players it's gonna be quite different to playing against skinny younger NEAFL guys.

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
Good explanation of how Swans aided Brisbane in stopping Essendon getting Brisbane academy player.
Stop the clock!
When Essendon placed a bid on Brisbane Academy player Keidean Coleman at No.37, the Lions were caught on the hop and a 10-minute scramble ensued with calls to at least two other clubs to get their man. Brisbane had the next pick – 38 – but didn't want to use that on the over-aged utility, so got on the phone to West Coast and Sydney in a bid to trade picks. As the five-minute allotted time began to evaporate, the AFL had to stop the clock so it could rubber-stamp the pick swap, dragging out the selection and in turn heightening the nerves for Coleman. Brisbane got the NEAFL premiership player after a deal that involved turning their pick No.38 into the Swans' picks 47 and 59.

It was extremely masterful. Not quite as masterful as trading earlier with Adelaide Crows to jump :Beatson - "the other team" (only Geelong)

Superb! I think it went.
We know you will take Shoey ! We want Gould ! .., don't care whoever you want?, but if we are right THEN swap picks (plus some minor bonuses) and we will PROMISE to pick elsewhere.

Maybe the Mead thing was time related ?
But Beatson would have known his footy DNA, was worth it!
Went to same private school as Stephens?

LOL , there is no way they ( Crows) do that deal if they do not trust Beatson!

Then they shafted dildo dodo and said effectively "Don't feck us around again"
With purpose , they were into Gould day 1

Then

They shaft (come to the rescue) of Brisbane ….
AND shaft Dodo again! He wanted to raid , it cost Swans , but the pleasure of the "payback" they DID!

Joe Daniher - KPFF = Swans 2021

u Watch !

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It was extremely masterful. Not quite as masterful as trading earlier with Adelaide Crows to jump :Beatson - "the other team" (only Geelong)

Superb! I think it went.
We know you will take Shoey ! We want Gould ! .., don't care whoever you want?, but if we are right THEN swap picks (plus some minor bonuses) and we will PROMISE to pick elsewhere.

Maybe the Mead thing was time related ?
But Beatson would have known his footy DNA, was worth it!
Went to same private school as Stephens?

LOL , there is no way they ( Crows) do that deal if they do not trust Beatson!

Then they shafted dildo dodo and said effectively "Don't feck us around again"
With purpose , they were into Gould day 1

Then

They shaft (come to the rescue) of Brisbane ….
AND shaft Dodo again! He wanted to raid , it cost Swans , but the pleasure of the "payback" they DID!

Joe Daniher - KPFF = Swans 2021

u Watch !

Crows probably did the deal on the condition we nominated Mead lol

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
I feel we did extremely well in turning our 3 picks into 3 round 2 picks. Our trading up in all 3 cases was masterful although I'm not 100% sure as to what it will cost us next year. Can't seem to find a listing of all the future draft changes.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m more curious about how we came to the conclusion that Rowles, who might be OK but only averaged 11 touched, was best available over say Bartholomeus who won was the best player in a state league this year; or Chirgwin who was actually starring for Sandringham alongside kids who were taken as high as the second round.

I get it, maybe they weren’t good enough in our eyes - but a midfielder who averaged only 11 touches in his draft year is? Kinda odd. Not knocking the kid, just don’t get the logic behind it. But he’s a Beatson rookie pick so he’ll probably be our next 250-game captain.

I am not saying this is the reason why, but often possessions are not the best indicator for a pure outside midfielder. What they will be looking for is the ability to run and get off the leash where the better skills in the AFL would allow someone who can do this to increase their possession count considerably.

In the end it’s not what they have done in the past it’s what they are capable of in the future that dictates who might get drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm expecting Gould to play a lot next year. Though I guess with Rampe and Mills in his obvious positions it's a big ask for him to break into the team I guess.
Here's a new idea, move Mills into the midfield!

Knightmare had him at 45 in the main draft

• 45. Carlton - Brady Rowles (VIC)
    Height, Weight:
    186cm/75kg
    Profile: One of this year's most explosive line-breakers. Rowles breaks games open with his run, with his speed with ball in hand as good as any in the pool.

Draft steal LOL. AFL had him 30-60 range. We're going for a lot of speed and at last, good ball users

Is it that much stronger these days though? Wasn't Grassy looking great in the SANFL and now according to posters he looks a dud in the NEAFL.
With GWS, GC, Brissy and Swans reserves the NEAFL must be close to passing the SANFL if it hasn't already. Couple of other pretty good teams too.
SANFL teams keep beating Crows and Port reserves so that indicates a much higher standard than NEAFL. Stephens and Gould have been impressive at senior SANFL level, step up to AFL won't phase them, high quality players.

I feel we did extremely well in turning our 3 picks into 3 round 2 picks. Our trading up in all 3 cases was masterful although I'm not 100% sure as to what it will cost us next year. Can't seem to find a listing of all the future draft changes.
In the wash up I think we still have all our 2020 picks plus Crows 4th rounder or still have our first three plus Crows 4th rounder. Anyway, we are good to go in 2020. Just found this on the BF Drafting board, based on this years ladder we have 4, 23, 51, 63

Some teams like Norf are heavily loaded for 2020, others like Saints and GWS are light on.

Last edited:

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Stop the clock!
Fascinating. I'm amazed that they were allowed to trade a pick that would have been involved after the bid had been made.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
In the wash up I think we still have all our 2020 picks plus Crows 4th rounder or still have our first three plus Crows 4th rounder. Anyway, we are good to go in 2020. Just found this on the BF Drafting board, based on this years ladder we have 4, 23, 51, 63
Some teams like Norf are heavily loaded for 2020, others like Saints and GWS are light on.
2020 draft picks..
Swans 1st.. Swans 2nd.. Brisbane 3rd.. Adelaide 4th

All the pick upgrades this year moved the..
- Swans 3rd to Brisbanes 3rd .. a downgrade, but hopefully not much due to the Swans finishing better in 2020 and the Lions having a normal run of injuries and finishing lower
- Freos 3rd (held by the Swans) to Adelaides 4th .. again a downgrade but not by much.

With all the Academy players next year, Its likely a few are selected before Gulden and Campbell. This would mean the 3rd and especially the 4th round picks could go up significantly.. eg p5 is matched with picks 30, 48, 49, 50 (approx correct points). This means every pick after p50 moves up 3 places.
So, the Swans 4th round pick (if other Academy players are selected before our kids) could be very valuable. Im sure the list management team are working out ways to get more later picks..

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Assuming ladder positions stayed the same again next year (i know they won't), we would have a live pick at 4 and then need to pay for Cameron & Gulden with picks 23, 51 & 63. That wouldn't be enough, so we will obviously need to gain some mid draft picks next year. I expect both the academy boys to be drafted between late first round to early second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back