Game Day 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another year of no player named “John” entering the AFL via the draft.

john Noble the sole John amongst his peers.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok folks let’s just for some fun assume we kept our original first round pick (15 and with GC getting the cheat extra pick it was 16, then it in turn moved a couple of spots in matching game becoming 18)

• Who would have taken with Pick 18?
that would be fascinating.

if it was still Jay Rantall (have a real curiosity if we pull the trigger on him then as who was best on our draft boars then) wouldn’t we all likely have felt, that sounds about right level?

i really not sure.

the talent prom pick 18 to 40 includes:

• Mitch Georgiades
  • Sam De Koning
  • Deven Robertson
  • Dylan Williams
  • will Gould
  • josh Worrell
and others

be fascinating to get a real insight
Will Gould for mine. Too much was read into his testing imo. He can play football. Might have change our drafting strategy with Trey at the end.

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok folks let’s just for some fun assume we kept our original first round pick (15 and with GC getting the cheat extra pick it was 16, then it in turn moved a couple of spots in matching game becoming 18)

if it was still Jay Rantall (have a real curiosity if we pull the trigger on him then as who was best on our draft boars then) wouldn’t we all likely have felt, that sounds about right level?

i really not sure.

• Mitch Georgiades
  • Sam De Koning
  • Deven Robertson
  • Dylan Williams
  • will Gould
  • josh Worrell
and others

Just feel we would’ve gone a tall, like worrell or De Koning. We were trying to get in there, so we must’ve had someone in mind. And I just don’t think we had Rantall ahead of all those names in the 20’s, like Gould and Robertson. Plus Hine would’ve said, if it was so...

the interesting one for me is the ducks and drakes before our pick. On the phone. Almost says we didn’t know which one we wanted so we’re happy to slide and get one? Or, hold on... maybe Ned was still trying to move up at that stage to get them both, close to each other... which he kinda did in the end. Hope the video comes out.

either way, reckon we got two we rated around 20 - 25, so it was a great get. Also think they both have upside, so could easily be top 15 players from this draft. Rantall has the ideal character, and limited exposure to AFL... then still wins his B+F! Whilst Bianco seems a perfect Sidey replacement, who captained Rowell and Noah. As stated, height and maybe the feeling he is a bit vanilla the only possible knocks on him.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood

i really not sure.

• Mitch Georgiades
  • Sam De Koning
  • Deven Robertson
  • Dylan Williams
  • will Gould
  • josh Worrell
and others

Not the dud Carlton picked!

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?

i really not sure.

• Mitch Georgiades
  • Sam De Koning
  • Deven Robertson
  • Dylan Williams
  • will Gould
  • josh Worrell
and others

I think I would have liked Worrell there personally or Robertson.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hairydawg

Senior List
Jan 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I have read this entire thread and I can summarise thusly: no-one knows anything.

It’s all a guess, at best an educated guess, and by mid-next year all will be revealed (with the power of Hinesight).

Enjoyable thread though, thanks to all for making it so.

I have read this entire thread and I can summarise thusly: no-one knows anything.

It’s all a guess, at best an educated guess, and by mid-next year all will be revealed (with the power of Hinesight).

True. No One know how anyone go at AFL Level. Need to give it about 5 Years to have a Clue how teams have gone in the Draft but Still gives you Hope when you think you got a Steal

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Guess work, yes that’s so.

we only know year(s) later.

as an example two metre Peter v De Goey.
now two possession Peter isn’t in the same conversation with Jordan.

if our players become good strong long term types, we would have done very nicely indeed.

(I’m quite buoyant on Rantall, nice burglary. But only counts in years to come.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Right so after all that wheeling and dealing (by my count there were 6 trades that involved picks) we basically have the same draft hand for 2020 aside from upgrading in the 4th round and found an extra third rounder in 2019...

I can’t help feeling that it was a real underpants gnome strategy we had going! I think we profited, but we’ve made heavy work of it.

The problem I had was that we went from something likely around the mid-20's (St Kilda's second round pick) to something in the 40's by the time all the bid matching shenanigans have played out (Richmond's second round pick). I guess the reasoning was that getting both Rantall and Bianco was worth potentially giving up 300-odd DVI points for next year, and that may be what subsequently drove the trading out of 51 (aside from us not rating Jake Riccardi) to restore the 3rd round pick we'd given away to Hawthorn (tied to Brisbane).

We're now armed with 1 x first round (ours), 1 x second round (Richmond), 1 x third round (GWS) and 1 x fourth round (St Kilda's hopefully) - still a little bit shaky in terms of matching bids on Reef and Dib at the moment, but if they end up looking like first round selections then we can still trade out our first rounder for more value in multiple second to fourth round picks to make sure we can match (Adelaide, Port and Essendon look like potential trading partners, with each having a suite of latter round picks to work with next year).

Last edited:
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

i really not sure.

• Mitch Georgiades
  • Sam De Koning
  • Deven Robertson
  • Dylan Williams
  • will Gould
  • josh Worrell
and others

Who
and Varoe

Not quite a backman. May as well add de Goey from that trade and draft

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
You've got to run me through the phrase underpants gnome strategy. I think I'm going to like it

South Park not your thing?

Step 1: Steal underpants
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit

You know your start and end points, but you largely make it up as you go to get there.

The problem I had was that we went from something likely around the mid-20's (St Kilda's second round pick) to something in the 40's by the time all the bid matching shenanigans have played out (Richmond's second round pick). I guess the reasoning was that getting both Rantall and Bianco was worth potentially giving up 300-odd DVI points for next year, and that may be what subsequently drove the trading out of 51 (aside from us not rating Jake Riccardi) to restore the 3rd round pick we'd given away to Hawthorn (tied to Brisbane).

We're now armed with 1 x first round (ours), 1 x second round (Richmond), 1 x third round (GWS) and 1 x fourth round (St Kilda's hopefully) - still a little bit shaky in terms of matching bids on Reef and Dib at the moment, but if they end up looking like first round selections then we can still trade out our first rounder for more value in multiple second to fourth round picks to make sure we can match (Adelaide, Port and Essendon look like potential trading partners, with each having a suite of latter round picks to work with next year).

Dib’s in the Daicos draft. I’ll back the club in on that. I’m guessing they knew Bianco was Richmond bound if we didn’t make that deal so whilst having early 2nd rounders is the ultimate currency now I’m still ok with the move.

Hairydawg

Senior List
Jan 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
True. No One know how anyone go at AFL Level. Need to give it about 5 Years to have a Clue how teams have gone in the Draft but Still gives you Hope when you think you got a Steal

Yep - good fun speculating. There is so much that can happen/go wrong/go right. I’m encouraged by comments around the new boys seeming to be sensible, good citizens. Good start if true.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would’ve preferred we trumped Port to Riley Grundy as a backup KPD then waste another year on Dunn.

I think the club is putting all its eggs in the here and now basket and I’m not convinced that that is a fantastic idea, given the age profile of our list, the holes in our developing stocks and our mid-season form in which we were humbled by a bunch of very, very ordinary sides.
Would be tough on the kid playing in the same team as his superstar brother, always Brodie’s brother, needs an identity of his own

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a bit annoyed that we passed on a kid like Fraser Phillips just to "leave room" for Dunn.
We know what Dunn can deliver, just not sure time hasn’t run out for him. We will be there about again this year and the old head could prove invaluable. Not sure right now.

How underwhelming is that back six compared to now.
I think I would have included Ben Reid, Tyson Goldsack and Ben Reid in our ideal backline 5 years ago

Many a time in the past I wish we had two Ben Reid’s. Maybe at least one of them would have been on the park.
Oops that should have been Nathan Brown although 2 Reid’s are even better

I was suggesting trade a mid range player to cover the increase cost of a rookie that flourishes. Taking an extreme example you appear to suggest we wouldn't rookie a "mal michael" because he might cost us too much for following year. Isn't there some guy who works this sort of stuff out? Couldn't we trade out said rookie the following year and use that trade to increase the value of our draft picks.
Of course that’s a reasonable course to take. I was just looking for additional reasons for taking Dunn instead of a rookie. Dunn may be good back up if he is up and going, a rookie might blossom. Both are more likely to not figure.

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Of course that’s a reasonable course to take. I was just looking for additional reasons for taking Dunn instead of a rookie. Dunn may be good back up if he is up and going, a rookie might blossom. Both are more likely to not figure.
Spot on. How the hell Mal Michael was ever a rookie beats me. I went to a heap of his games as a rookie, it was so obvious he was not some ordinary jock.
Anyway I'm just trying to get my head around this whole drafting situation. Seems so counter-intuitive. Like the rookie thing - you'd think it would be about trialling youth rather than holding onto the aged.

I know nothing about drafting in other sports, like the round football game or basketball in USA. Are their systems so complex and constantly changing? I think if the AFL wants to make drafting some big thing they need to simplify the rules so toothless supporters like myself have half a chance of working out wtf is happening.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
South Park not your thing?

Step 1: Steal underpants
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit

You know your start and end points, but you largely make it up as you go to get there.

Dib’s in the Daicos draft.

Yep I knew this - I was rather obscurely referring to potentially having three first round-level prospects to match early bids for in Reef, Dib (and Daicos) over the next couple of years (Dib perhaps being the unexpected one).

I’ll back the club in on that. I’m guessing they knew Bianco was Richmond bound if we didn’t make that deal so whilst having early 2nd rounders is the ultimate currency now I’m still ok with the move.

Yeah so am I - and it's bloody hard to try to budget for what you might need two years down the track with the three potential early bids to match and the great unknown in terms of how the AFL is going to tinker with NGA academy prospects. At a minimum I'm guessing they'll lower the discount for NGA bid matches to 10% as it used to be for academy players), aside from any other changes they make to eligibility or the number of NGA kids you can bring in.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back