Game Day 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

As it stands from this years draft order, we have 16,37,54 and 60
So we effectively traded Aish for Bianco and are left with a pretty standard draft hand for next year. Sounds alright to me. Although in terms of draft picks, I'd prefer us to move to a boom and bust strategy. Alternate between strong hand and no hand.

Ok folks let’s just for some fun assume we kept our original first round pick (15 and with GC getting the cheat extra pick it was 16, then it in turn moved a couple of spots in matching game becoming 18)

• Who would have taken with Pick 18?
that would be fascinating.

if it was still Jay Rantall (have a real curiosity if we pull the trigger on him then as who was best on our draft boars then) wouldn’t we all likely have felt, that sounds about right level?

i really not sure.

the talent prom pick 18 to 40 includes:

• Mitch Georgiades
  • Sam De Koning
  • Deven Robertson
  • Dylan Williams
  • will Gould
  • josh Worrell
and others

be fascinating to get a real insight

We were apparently pretty keen on Harrison Jones, who ended up going at 30ish. It may have been a stretch at a teens pick but given our interest and key position needs he could have been the guy.

We were apparently pretty keen on Harrison Jones, who ended up going at 30ish. It may have been a stretch at a teens pick but given our interest and key position needs he could have been the guy.
Wonder if we tried to push our future first for him

I love the draft by my god that coverage was painfully slow. 3 hours of fart arsing about.

Yeah. They could easily fit it in 1 Night even IF did finish like 10-10:30

I love the draft by my god that coverage was painfully slow. 3 hours of fart arsing about.
Day 1 was excruciating.

the coverage by the draft panel Twomey and co far better than
The Foxtel coverage.

Day 1:

gil is a toxic bore.
Zero personality.
Struggles with sentences.
That walking thing each time, awful.

their guy King is so full of himself.

learn lessons from day 2:

far far better. Kevin Sheehan cares about the kids drafted not about his ego.

great knowledge and it’s about the kids.

Stephen hocking and his helper later rounds were non walkers and can read sentences and names clearly.

more of day two and NO Gil.
Simple

Day 1 was excruciating.

the coverage by the draft panel Twomey and co far better than
The Foxtel coverage.

Day 1:

gil is a toxic bore.
Zero personality.
Struggles with sentences.
That walking thing each time, awful.

their guy King is so full of himself.

learn lessons from day 2:

far far better. Kevin Sheehan cares about the kids drafted not about his ego.

great knowledge and it’s about the kids.

Stephen hocking and his helper later rounds were non walkers and can read sentences and names clearly.

more of day two and NO Gil.
Simple
Gil is a dill

Gil is a dill
Never mind his job and AfL CEO
He’s just dreadful at doing the role of MC and the like.
Not his skill set.

2019 trade and draft summary

2018 - (2019 first round pick)

Beams trade

1575104489453.png

Brisbane receives - 2020 1st (PA), 29 (33) Brock Smith, 71 (59) Jaxon Prior
Port receives - 16 (18) Mitch Georgiades, 52, 55, 57

* I haven't checked what Port done with their picks

2019 - 4 players, 7 trades

Cameron trade

1575104828059.png

Sydney receives - 32 Elijah Taylor, 2020 3rd (Freo), 76 (68) on-traded to Port
St Kilda receives - Zac Jones, 2020 4th (Syd)

Sydney receives - 61 on-traded to Brisbane
Port receives - 65, 76 (68)

Sydney receives - 38 Chad Warner, 2020 3rd (BL)
Brisbane receives - 47, 61

* I haven't checked if StK, Port or BL on-traded what they received

Aish trade

1575104600997.png

Fremantle receives - 52, 55 points for Liam Henry
Port receives - 66, 69, 2020 2nd (Freo)

Fremantle receives - 28 on traded to Melb, 2020 4th (Car) on traded to Melb, 49 points for Henry
Adelaide receives - 22, 2020 3rd Collingwood

Fremantle receives - 8 Caleb Serong
Melbourne receives - 10, 28, 2020 4th (Car)

* I haven't checked if Port, Adel or Melb on-traded what they received

Pick swap with Brisbane (we later swapped both picks received out again - trade #5 Haw, trade #7 GWS)

Our 2020 2nd round pick basically became:

• Bianco and a downgrade of the 2020 second round pick tied to St Kilda to one tied to Richmond
  • An upgrade from a 2020 fourth round pick (ours or St Kilda's) to a 2020 third round pick (GWS or NM). I'm not sure which were traded here.

1575104554138.png

Brisbane receives - 22 Devon Robertson, 2020 4th (GWS)
GWS receives - 23, 2020 2nd (Coll)

Pick swap with GWS (later used to draft Ruscoe)

1575104664306.png

Our first selection at the draft, a pick that was originally ours and the only one that wasn't traded around

1575104691360.png

Back to shuffling picks, this time selecting Bianco amongst the trades and Ruscoe at the end

1575104739373.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How ******* dumb are we?

Why? We were just making 100% sure we would get Bianco and not let Tigers or another Team trade ahead of us to get him.

Well Eagles trade but missed out on AFL saying No to a Trade

I would have thought that was obvious......
He's not Shaun Burgoyne or Robert Harvey now is he?
Missing 2 consecutive years at his age via the same injury...the body is telling you something.

Even on this board thinks Reid is cooked at 30---if Reid is cooked then Dunn is charcoal burnt.

So you actually have no idea and are just putting a guess out there as some sort of fact, gotcha.

2019 trade and draft summary

2018 - (2019 first round pick)

Beams trade

View attachment 787261

Brisbane receives - 2020 1st (PA), 29 (33) Brock Smith, 71 (59) Jaxon Prior
Port receives - 16 (18) Mitch Georgiades, 52, 55, 57

* I haven't checked what Port done with their picks

2019 - 4 players, 7 trades

Cameron trade

View attachment 787267

Sydney receives - 32 Elijah Taylor, 2020 3rd (Freo), 76 (68) on-traded to Port
St Kilda receives - Zac Jones, 2020 4th (Syd)

Sydney receives - 61 on-traded to Brisbane
Port receives - 65, 76 (68)

Sydney receives - 38 Chad Warner, 2020 3rd (BL)
Brisbane receives - 47, 61

* I haven't checked if StK, Port or BL on-traded what they received

Aish trade

View attachment 787263

Fremantle receives - 52, 55 points for Liam Henry
Port receives - 66, 69, 2020 2nd (Freo)

Fremantle receives - 28 on traded to Melb, 2020 4th (Car) on traded to Melb, 49 points for Henry
Adelaide receives - 22, 2020 3rd Collingwood

Fremantle receives - 8 Caleb Serong
Melbourne receives - 10, 28, 2020 4th (Car)

* I haven't checked if Port, Adel or Melb on-traded what they received

Pick swap with Brisbane (we later swapped both picks received out again - trade #5 Haw, trade #7 GWS)

Our 2020 2nd round pick basically became:

• Bianco and a downgrade of the 2020 second round pick tied to St Kilda to one tied to Richmond
  • An upgrade from a 2020 fourth round pick (ours or St Kilda's) to a 2020 third round pick (GWS or NM). I'm not sure which were traded here.

View attachment 787262

Brisbane receives - 22 Devon Robertson, 2020 4th (GWS)
GWS receives - 23, 2020 2nd (Coll)

Pick swap with GWS (later used to draft Ruscoe)

View attachment 787264

Our first selection at the draft, a pick that was originally ours and the only one that wasn't traded around

View attachment 787265

Back to shuffling picks, this time selecting Bianco amongst the trades and Ruscoe at the end

View attachment 787266
Really terrific work here.

appreciated.

gives a good sketch of all the manouvering.

(be wonderful if we knew what we’d have done at the different picks we had. But happy with what we’ve got.)

We cannot ignore that he did blow the second one almost straight away in an innocuous manner, after having one of the strongest grafts Julian Feller has ever seen put in.

He's now 33 and coming off back to back ACL's - it normally it takes a footballer maybe 18 months to start getting back to their best football after just one ACL so the clock is definitely against him now. He perhaps should be looking to slim down a bit to take the load off his legs and give himself the best chance of staying upright, but it doesn't look like that is happening either from the recent pics I've seen, as he's still a gorilla.

I'm not saying he's definitely cooked, but he is certainly pushing a barrel uphill at the moment in terms of making it back to productive AFL football.

Just shows a "strong graft" is no greater guarantee they'll take. Not sure why the first 1 failed but he was (apparently) looking good in the lead up to that VFL practice game. Maybe it wasn't the graft, but the attachment of it.

I'm not sure how he's going on his return from this 1 although he's apparently running strongly, or if he'll make a full recovery in time to stake a claim, or if he'll get redrafted, but I object to ridiculous comments like "he's cooked" based on no evidence.

When he did his 1st he was arguably 1 of if not the best 1v1 KPD in the league. If he was to get redrafted, could he get back to anything like that? I don't know. Time will tell.

Really terrific work here.

appreciated.

gives a good sketch of all the manouvering.

(be wonderful if we knew what we’d have done at the different picks we had. But happy with what we’ve got.)
The trading of Essendon's 2020 third rounder hinted at something more. Not just the club's tweet, but also that the draft was still progressing through the late twenties when the deal was done and it left us with one additional pick. The obvious thing would be a belief that we could package two picks and move up the order, however you'd think we'd be smart enough to have that next deal locked in.

Like most number 1s he will likely not be the best player of his draft pool, and will fall back into the pack once he mixes with bigger elite athletes.

The point is that at 178cm he was still considered the best player in the draft. How he turns out is irrelevant. If height was an issue do you think he would have gone number 1?

The poster I was responding to was making an issue of Bianco’s height.

Our backline 5 years ago was

Sinclair Frost Ramsay
Lumumba Keeffe Langdon.

Only 1 player has survived from then. 5 years is a ridiculously long time in Football, it's hard enough to predict what our defence will look like in 2021 !

To be fair that was a pretty ordinary backline in an ordinary team that was on the wane, so it's a poor example imo. Not a surprise that the majority of those players no longer around.

Our backline 5 years ago was

Sinclair Frost Ramsay
Lumumba Keeffe Langdon.

Only 1 player has survived from then. 5 years is a ridiculously long time in Football, it's hard enough to predict what our defence will look like in 2021 !

I think you’re being a touch cheeky here given you’ve taken that from late 2014 when we were absolutely cooked. At that time Ramsay had played 2 matches and wasn’t ahead of Williams. Toovey was also in that mix. Then we have Brown injured.

So you actually have no idea and are just putting a guess out there as some sort of fact, gotcha.

lol having a guess? Mate the odds are well and truly stacked against him and for us as club—we should play the odds and move on.
We don’t need Dunn and it’s 12 months wasted if we do take him

I think you’re kidding yourself if you think he can have any meaningful contribution

It’s an extremely safe “guess” if you ask me. There hasn’t been an example of a guy doing two knees at 30+ in recent history and it’s generally 18 months before you get back to anywhere near your best (which he won’t at his age). Playing the odds on this one is well in HFF’s favour.

It’s clearly an insurance move so the argument has to be did we think we didn’t have enough cover with Murphy, Madgen, Keane and Ruscoe or was there a dearth of options on the board? Not whether he’s cooked. My guess is it was the latter.

Looking another way we all know 2020 is the last season for Reid, Dunn and most likely Madgen. Twelve months from now we know what role Ruscoe will settle into. Let’s say it’s down back and we then bring a KPF in with our first pick then match a bid on Reef with later picks. I think that spreads our KP group well and even though retaining Dunn was the wrong call, IMO, it is not such a big deal to drag across several pages of a thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back