Game Day 2019 AFL Draft

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Like most number 1s he will likely not be the best player of his draft pool, and will fall back into the pack once he mixes with bigger elite athletes.

I think it's less likely with this kid than in a normal year - I reckon he'll be as good, if not better than Walsh, as he's such a natural footballer with speed and endurance who can hit the scoreboard and shows up in big games. He's also not one of those cases of a early developer playing a "man against boys" type of game, which is something you often see with top end draft picks who end up not being quite as good at AFL level.

The big challenge for him is probably his best mate who is a bit more raw in terms of skill, but has the physical attributes to be something special.

It’s an extremely safe “guess” if you ask me. There hasn’t been an example of a guy doing two knees at 30+ in recent history and it’s generally 18 months before you get back to anywhere near your best (which he won’t at his age). Playing the odds on this one is well in HFF’s favour.

It’s clearly an insurance move so the argument has to be did we think we didn’t have enough cover with Murphy, Madgen, Keane and Ruscoe or was there a dearth of options on the board? Not whether he’s cooked. My guess is it was the latter.

Looking another way we all know 2020 is the last season for Reid, Dunn and most likely Madgen. Twelve months from now we know what role Ruscoe will settle into. Let’s say it’s down back and we then bring a KPF in with our first pick then match a bid on Reef with later picks. I think that spreads our KP group well and even though retaining Dunn was the wrong call, IMO, it is not such a big deal to drag across several pages of a thread.

I'm pretty sure that he was told before the drafts, so it didn't come down to who was available for KPD cover. As long as they set him a pretty high bar for the March supplemental signing, it's an ok move in my book.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
For those already keen on 2020 draft prospects here is the Knightmare Top 20 prospects in alphabetical order.

check out ESPN links for other footy stuff with our very own KM.

• I am also just taking a copy paste job from the link of Reef McInnes our highly touted next generation academy player. He does look the goods.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/28191579/afl-draft-************-top-20-prospects-2020

Reef McInnes (Collingwood Next-Generation Academy)

A tall midfielder at 191cm, McInnes will be hoping for greater midfield opportunities for Oakleigh in 2020 after spending most of the year in defence due to their sheer depth of quality midfielders. McInnes when used through the midfield is a strong contested ball-winner who wins the ball cleanly off the bounce, has agility, demonstrates composure with the ball, and has quick and clean hands. The bonus with Reef is he also has the versatility to push forward and provide a marking option.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
For those already keen on 2020 draft prospects here is the Knightmare Top 20 prospects in alphabetical order.

• I am also just taking a copy paste job from the link of Reef McInnes our highly touted next generation academy player. He does look the goods.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/28191579/afl-draft-************-top-20-prospects-2020

A tall midfielder at 191cm, McInnes will be hoping for greater midfield opportunities for Oakleigh in 2020 after spending most of the year in defence due to their sheer depth of quality midfielders. McInnes when used through the midfield is a strong contested ball-winner who wins the ball cleanly off the bounce, has agility, demonstrates composure with the ball, and has quick and clean hands. The bonus with Reef is he also has the versatility to push forward and provide a marking option.
Thilthorpe and McInnes would be the pipe dream for me.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The one who might be possible to get is Tasmanian Jackson Callow. He's so physically developed that it wouldn't shock to see him drop. The thing I'll be looking out for next year is improvement, because his production has been excellent (14d, 6m and 1.7g in NAB League for Tasmania). And he has the marking/size/strength but then is deceptively mobile and gets out the back, so he is another tick for attributes even if he isn't a freak athlete.

Ugle-Hagan is buddy with hops and surely the Dogs match any bid for him.

But Thilthorpe and Baldwin are the other two to track with interest, and again they're not certain top 5 choices or players I personally have that high at this stage with some others higher on my personal board. With those guys also, improvement is the key thing I'm looking for. They've performed in the younger age groups but that trajectory needs to keep ascending because it's all about who they are 4 years+ into their AFL careers.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s an extremely safe “guess” if you ask me. There hasn’t been an example of a guy doing two knees at 30+ in recent history and it’s generally 18 months before you get back to anywhere near your best (which he won’t at his age). Playing the odds on this one is well in HFF’s favour.

It’s clearly an insurance move so the argument has to be did we think we didn’t have enough cover with Murphy, Madgen, Keane and Ruscoe or was there a dearth of options on the board? Not whether he’s cooked. My guess is it was the latter.

Looking another way we all know 2020 is the last season for Reid, Dunn and most likely Madgen. Twelve months from now we know what role Ruscoe will settle into. Let’s say it’s down back and we then bring a KPF in with our first pick then match a bid on Reef with later picks. I think that spreads our KP group well and even though retaining Dunn was the wrong call, IMO, it is not such a big deal to drag across several pages of a thread.

Any other player than Dunn and I'd likely agree with much of what you say but he's the very antithesis of "normal". He's a guy who took 8-9 years to find his role within a team then when he'd finally found it got overlooked so his club could nurture the kids. He's a guy who at 30-31 was still honing his craft and was arguably improving year on year. I think he'll get re-listed and be playing VFL very early.

Comparisons to Reid are silly. We've seen the decline in aspects of his game already, not overly blessed with pace he's lost another 1/2 a yard, his greatest weapon which is his kicking has lost penetration. We saw none of that with Dunn pre-ACL. The only valid aspect to the comparison is age.

People rave about Roughy's 2019 season (and I'm not suggesting that's unreasonable) but Dunn pre-ACL offered so much more in terms of 1v1 contested footy, pace, and offensive kicking. Time will tell if he can recapture anything like that form in 2020 but if he can I'd rather him in that role.

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any other player than Dunn and I'd likely agree with much of what you say but he's the very antithesis of "normal". He's a guy who took 8-9 years to find his role within a team then when he'd finally found it got overlooked so his club could nurture the kids. He's a guy who at 30-31 was still honing his craft and was arguably improving year on year. I think he'll get re-listed and be playing VFL very early.

Comparisons to Reid are silly. We've seen the decline in aspects of his game already, not overly blessed with pace he's lost another 1/2 a yard, his greatest weapon which is his kicking has lost penetration. We saw none of that with Dunn pre-ACL. The only valid aspect to the comparison is age.

People rave about Roughy's 2019 season (and I'm not suggesting that's unreasonable) but Dunn pre-ACL offered so much more in terms of 1v1 contested footy, pace, and offensive kicking. Time will tell if he can recapture anything like that form in 2020 but if he can I'd rather him in that role.
Dunn is definitely a beautiful kick of the sherrin.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
I'd pass on the first guy. Try yelling that name out at the footy.

Just go with whatever his nickname ends up being - Thorpey, Thilly, (Thilly) Goose, TT, Arty, the options are endless.

I'd pass on the first guy. Try yelling that name out at the footy.

I thought it was a typo. I’m already struggling with Ruscoe. The ‘u’ seems misplaced.

Then there’s the issue of saying Trey, Jay and Trent quickly. What was Hine thinking?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Imagine Bruce or even Andy Maher saying Thilthorpe. The kid's undraftable.
Bruce at least will get it right.

(Irony: People say Bruce’s surname wrongly, it’s actually pronounced “MAC A VANI” like VANITY without the TY.
but everyone says Mac A VAIN EE.)

andy Maher will talk so long about how the name might be pronounced the game will be over and he’ll still be on his first sentence.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought it was a typo. I’m already struggling with Ruscoe. The ‘u’ seems misplaced.

Then there’s the issue of saying Trey, Jay and Trent quickly. What was Hine thinking?
Ever since Hine got a JOHN he’s returned back to the ways of new fangled names.

I suspect that's why they dropped to our picks. Bloody risky strategy by Dekka, but it might just work- I've come around to the enormous risk that was Jaidyn.

Thilthorpe and McInnes would be the pipe dream for me.
It looks like there might be a few good talls to be had next year. Hopefully we can trade up for one instead of trading out like we did with Quaynor.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Their review could have talked about Ruscoe.
other than that, seemed a nice report.

liked watching Rantall win that running race.

Yeah bit Annoyed that Ruscoe did not even get a Mention

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah bit Annoyed that Ruscoe did not even get a Mention
If they doing a review, it’s just common courtesy to go through all the players.

im giving them the benefit of the doubt and they just got so into our first two steals they simply forgot about the meat trey.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

That's 6 of the top 20 linked to clubs via FS or academy selections even at this early stage. There'll be a lot of sides looking to trade out of the 1st round.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last edited:
Back