2019 AFL Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhysswans13

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Full draw to be released on Wednesday 31st October. Round 1 released last night with a trip to the newly named Marvel Stadium (Docklands) to play the Western Bulldogs on Saturday 23rd March 2019 @ 7.25pm.

What games would you hope we receive as Swans supporters ? Seems to have been a long time Since we played the Pies in Melbourne. Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing us play in the NT as it would give me a reason to travel there. Also hoping to see another game in Adelaide and a game in Perth.

Red V clash jumper for every Melbourne game.

Spot on. I hope we play the Filth, Dawks, Tiggers and Cats at the G next season. All four games would attract good crowds of 50k plus and would be more viable financially than Eddiehead or the Litter Box.

More generally I'd like underperforming Melbourne teams having less access to the G than the top three or four interstate teams.

A fair fixture would be nice. This year was absolute bs.
I felt our 2018 fixture was quite favourable. We went for a period of about 10 games that were alternating between SCG and Docklands. I would expect this years fixture to be a lot more difficult in the sense of travel.
In saying that I read somewhere that our fixture was I think 2nd hardest in the competition (St Kilda was first), but since we finished lower in the ladder this year we should face some easier double up opponents.

I'd be up for a game in Tassie against the Dawks or LolNorf - went down for the game in Hobart in 2016 and had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend down there. Otherwise a game in Adelaide (given surely there was none last season) would be good as would go over and visit some relatives there, and a visit to the Adelaide Oval is enjoyable (Though would prefer Port to the Champagne sippers).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2781BF7E-77F0-470A-A287-61ACDC9FA90E.jpeg.a06de8c67b2122426b002f0e9a095004.jpeg

Not sure how legit but..

The club puts forward it's preferences & the AFL try to cover as much as they can. What I take from that is that they completely ignored their SA based supporters in 2018. We must've been so significantly low on their list of priorities we didn't even get a game. Not 1.

An SA Supporter membership was still $120/$140 (or something) though..... Strange huh? :rolleyes:

At the time I was disgusted in our club because of this. It made a dent on the growing support network that was building over here recently.

As such I only went to a few games in 2018. Significantly down on usual (I'd usually go to Syd/Melb 3-5 times each). I'd usually spend thousands on travelling interstate to watch the boys play. So at least I saved myself some dough I guess...

My 2019 wishlist would thus be for the AFL/club to repay the SA Supporters with 2 matches. Also please don't cancel an open training session last minute again after a heap of work by the SA Supporters group to get the ok for it....

I feel like the Crows and Swans games are quietly some of the best games I’ve seen in recent memory. I think back to that 2016 game when they edged us on account of the fact they literally could not miss a target all match. Then last year when the lead ebbed and flowed late in the game before we snatched it.
2016 SF was also a great game in terms of quality. Wish the AFL would invest in it more.

The club puts forward it's preferences & the AFL try to cover as much as they can. What I take from that is that they completely ignored their SA based supporters in 2018. We must've been so significantly low on their list of priorities we didn't even get a game. Not 1.

An SA Supporter membership was still $120/$140 (or something) though..... Strange huh? :rolleyes:

At the time I was disgusted in our club because of this. It made a dent on the growing support network that was building over here recently.

As such I only went to a few games in 2018. Significantly down on usual (I'd usually go to Syd/Melb 3-5 times each). I'd usually spend thousands on travelling interstate to watch the boys play. So at least I saved myself some dough I guess...

My 2019 wishlist would thus be for the AFL/club to repay the SA Supporters with 2 matches. Also please don't cancel an open training session last minute again after a heap of work by the SA Supporters group to get the ok for it....

The club has previously come out I'm sure and said it always requests at least 1 game in every state each year. For a long time, that was achieved, but the year before last Qld had no games, and this year was SA.

While its far from ideal, in the world of a bastardised draw as we currently have, these anomalies are going to happen more often I feel (especially with 18 teams, and a guarantee 1 double up will be against GWS). It would seem fairly unlikely we will play 2 games in any of WA/SA/Qld except as an 'exception', unless we find we are consistently in the part of the draw where we are getting both teams as a double up on a regular basis - which seems pretty unlikely unless we really bottom out and join the Lions and Suns at the bottom (even then Lions seem unlikely to stay down there forever.

I do wish the AFL would do its part to avoid such anomalies happening though. I.e. by making sure, on a consistent basis, when you play one team at home, next time you meet you play them away. Stop the nonsense where teams play another team sometimes 4,5,6 times in a row at either home and away. At least if you do that, then more often then not every state should get 1 game a year as a bare minimum.

I'd be up for a game in Tassie against the Dawks or Go North! - went down for the game in Hobart in 2016 and had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend down there. Otherwise a game in Adelaide (given surely there was none last season) would be good as would go over and visit some relatives there, and a visit to the Adelaide Oval is enjoyable (Though would prefer Port to the Champagne sippers).
We keep winning in Tassie, so I doubt they’ll invite us back.

You're not allowed to offend the sensibilities of our Tasmanian brethren.
What?
Norf & Hawks always almost always play non Vic teams in Tassie.
The dice is loaded for an easy kill. Eagles, Suns, GWS, St Kilda, Lions and yes I’m well aware Eagles won the flag, but to WA teams the Tassie game is the longest traveling time by any team.

Swans get a lot of support in Tassie. Swans win against both Norf And Hawks.

We’ve never been asked to play there again.

What?
Norf & Hawks always almost always play non Vic teams in Tassie.
The dice is loaded for an easy kill. Eagles, Suns, GWS, St Kilda, Lions and yes I’m well aware Eagles won the flag, but to WA teams the Tassie game is the longest traveling time by any team.

Swans get a lot of support in Tassie. Swans win against both Norf And Hawks.

We’ve never been asked to play there again.

SNATs* don't like it when negative things are written about Tasmania.

Sensitive New Age Tasmanians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back