Game Day 2019 AFL Grand Final Discussion: Richmond vs GWS

Who wins?

• Richmond

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • GWS

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
I don't really care who wins this. A bit more inclined to GWS but I can live with another Richmond premiership. I still owe them for 2017.

Won't be able to watch it as I'll be travelling so I'll check the scores when I land. Unless the flight has wifi on board but I doubt it.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Thankful GWS made it and gave me someone to support on the day, but I can't see them winning. The Tigers 2nd half against Geelong & Brisbane was a level above the rest of the comp, GWS would need a miracle to pull off a win, and/or probably some rain.

Tigers by 43
Norm Smith - Grimes

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jumping on the GWS bandwagon but think Richmond may be a little too strong.

Neither side has rucks that will dominate and Mummy may be a liability if it's a fast open game.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL, after their wet dream VFL Grand Final didn't come to fruition, would be heavily favouring GWS you'd reckon. Although we know the AFL is completely about propagating the biggest Vic teams, strategically a GWS win would be the better long term outcome for the AFL. Richmond have won their GF, their massive ongoing support is guaranteed. The AFL dream of the riches tapping further into the Sydney market can bring. They want GWS to be sustainable once the Ferraris become FIATS. The best way to lure support is success. I don't reckon we'll see heavily pro Richmond umpiring on Saturday despite the overwhelming crowd support.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
71179670_452088842055437_6348368525739950080_n.jpg

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL, after their wet dream VFL Grand Final didn't come to fruition, would be heavily favouring GWS you'd reckon. Although we know the AFL is completely about propagating the biggest Vic teams, strategically a GWS win would be the better long term outcome for the AFL. Richmond have won their GF, their massive ongoing support is guaranteed. The AFL dream of the riches tapping further into the Sydney market can bring. They want GWS to be sustainable once the Ferraris become FIATS. The best way to lure support is success. I don't reckon we'll see heavily pro Richmond umpiring on Saturday despite the overwhelming crowd support.
Exactly this. Everyone outside Victoria should be supporting GWS. Not because we should give a s**t about GWS per se. A self-sustaining GWS can stand up to the AFL with the other non-Vic clubs when Gil's (or no doubt an equally 'Melbourne is the centre of the sporting UNIVERSE!!!!!!' stooge replacement) 'VFL, oops AFL' tendencies are too blatant (which is often).

A GWS and GCS that don't rely on AFL handouts is required before any hope of the spineless 'A'FL leaders cutting any Vic clubs can happen. We need at least as many non-Vic clubs as Vic clubs to stop them getting undeserved benefits, so I'll be hoping GWS win.

At least with it being Richmond if they lose 2017 will be front and centre of all Adelaide fan's thoughts again to provide some solace.

GWS can win this especially if Cameron, Finlayson and Himmelberg stretch the Tigers defence and if Greene, Whitfield and Conigilio come back into the guts and heavily add to their mid field dominance. Mummy could do some physical damage knowing this is his last game.

But I want Dimma to win another flag, plus I don't want GWS to win a flag in their 8th season. I'd rather see the record books say the expansion sides won their flags in WCE 6th and 8th, crows 7th and 8th, Port 8th and GWS 9th or later.

I've said plenty of times before, GWS will be at their peak between their 8th and 13th seasons. The high draft picks of the first 3 years who didn't want to hang around have gone home, the rest have stayed and built a dominate club playing 100+ games together.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nah fu** Richmond. Whilst we all will be grateful for 2017, their supporters on this site have become intolerable.
Every winning premiership teams supporters become unbearable afterwards, unless they quickly turn to s**t (*cough* Port *cough*) afterwards. I hope mid 2020's when the stench of KKK has been expunged totally we can be the fans everyone hates, as we are the one's telling everyone else average players are great because they have a premiership medal. Plus the ever popular 'What would you know, your team didn't win the flag', as if every one of their BigFooty fans was crammed at the back of the coaches box on Grand Final day providing the sage advice that ensured victory.

I'd like to see Lynch kick 8-10 goals and Jack 6 and out mark the s**t out of Davis, Haynes, Keeffe and Taylor. Sides copy the premiers, so the game might change for the better as a result and marking forwards come back into play. It might give our dopey coach food for thought as well.

This will be just like Richmond vs Adelaide.

The only reason why GWS is even in the grand final is because it rained against Collingwood which limited their run and carry and made it a slop fest that shrank the size of the ground. As soon as it dried up, Collingwood was all over them.

If it's a dry day, Richmond by the length of the Flemmington. 60+. They are just better drilled at defence, they've got two genuine marking threats to keep Davis and Haynes occupied, and their midfield is on par with the Giants in terms of production and probably better at the contest.

If it's wet, Richmond will still win, just not by as much.

GWS can win this especially if Cameron, Finlayson and Himmelberg stretch the Tigers defence and if Greene, Whitfield and Conigilio come back into the guts and heavily add to their mid field dominance. Mummy could do some physical damage knowing this is his last game.

But I want Dimma to win another flag, plus I don't want GWS to win a flag in their 8th season. I'd rather see the record books say the expansion sides won their flags in WCE 6th and 8th, crows 7th and 8th, Port 8th and GWS 9th or later.

I've said plenty of times before, GWS will be at their peak between their 8th and 13th seasons. The high draft picks of the first 3 years who didn't want to hang around have gone home, the rest have stayed and built a dominate club playing 100+ games together.

GWS are at their peak now and next year. That's why they went out and got Jacobs to replace Mumford.

Stephen Congilio - 25. Signed a 7 year deal this year. On $1m a year.
Josh Kelly - 24. Signed a 2 year deal with a 4 year player option (meaning that salary is tied up in the cap) and a 4 year team option. On $1m a year.
Toby Greene - 25. One year into a 6 year, $6m contract.

That's three players that are on $1m a year, which leaves around $10m of cap space to pay:

Phil Davis - 29. Out of contract in 2021. He'd be on $600k a season.
Nick Haynes - 27. Signed a 5 year deal this year. He'd also be on $600k a season.
Callan Ward - 29. Out of contract in 2021. $600k as well.
Tim Taranto - 21. Out of contact in 2021. $250k maybe?

Aidan Corr - 25. Out of contract in 2020.
Lachie Whitfield - 25. Out of contract in 2020. Will command a massive payday.
Jeremy Cameron - 25. Out of contract in 2020. Will command a massive payday.
Zac Williams - 25. Out of contract in 2020. Will command a massive payday.
Jackson Hately - 19. Out of contract in 2020.
Jye Caldwell - 19. Out of contract in 2020.
Jeremy Finlayson - 23. Out of contract in 2020. Will command a massive payday.

Bold are players that would improve pretty much everyone in the league's list. GWS knows this - they'll ditch Patton to keep Cameron, try to keep Williams and Whitfield together by ditching Finlayson (who they tried to trade two years ago), and they might even get rid of Hately just to keep Caldwell.

What they are trying to do is win a flag so the players that they palm off command the 'premiership premium' and they can continue to dominate by picking the eyes out of the draft every year. It's ridiculous how much of a leg up these campaigners got.

That's why I don't want them to win.

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Saturday 28 September
Summary
partly-cloudy.png
Min 5Max 18Partly cloudy.Chance of any rain: 5%
rain_5.gif
Melbourne area
Partly cloudy. Light winds.

This will be just like Richmond vs Adelaide.

The only reason why GWS is even in the grand final is because it rained against Collingwood which limited their run and carry and made it a slop fest that shrank the size of the ground. As soon as it dried up, Collingwood was all over them.

If it's a dry day, Richmond by the length of the Flemmington. 60+. They are just better drilled at defence, they've got two genuine marking threats to keep Davis and Haynes occupied, and their midfield is on par with the Giants in terms of production and probably better at the contest.

If it's wet, Richmond will still win, just not by as much.

GWS are at their peak now and next year. That's why they went out and got Jacobs to replace Mumford.

Stephen Congilio - 25. Signed a 7 year deal this year. On $1m a year.
Josh Kelly - 24. Signed a 2 year deal with a 4 year player option (meaning that salary is tied up in the cap) and a 4 year team option. On $1m a year.
Toby Greene - 25. One year into a 6 year, $6m contract.

That's three players that are on $1m a year, which leaves around $10m of cap space to pay:

Phil Davis - 29. Out of contract in 2021. He'd be on $600k a season.
Nick Haynes - 27. Signed a 5 year deal this year. He'd also be on $600k a season.
Callan Ward - 29. Out of contract in 2021. $600k as well.
Tim Taranto - 21. Out of contact in 2021. $250k maybe?

Aidan Corr - 25. Out of contract in 2020.
Lachie Whitfield - 25. Out of contract in 2020. Will command a massive payday.
Jeremy Cameron - 25. Out of contract in 2020. Will command a massive payday.
Zac Williams - 25. Out of contract in 2020. Will command a massive payday.
Jackson Hately - 19. Out of contract in 2020.
Jye Caldwell - 19. Out of contract in 2020.
Jeremy Finlayson - 23. Out of contract in 2020. Will command a massive payday.

Bold are players that would improve pretty much everyone in the league's list. GWS knows this - they'll ditch Patton to keep Cameron, try to keep Williams and Whitfield together by ditching Finlayson (who they tried to trade two years ago), and they might even get rid of Hately just to keep Caldwell.

What they are trying to do is win a flag so the players that they palm off command the 'premiership premium' and they can continue to dominate by picking the eyes out of the draft every year. It's ridiculous how much of a leg up these campaigners got.

That's why I don't want them to win.
Their peak will be more than 2 years. They will be like Brisbane 4 GFs in 4 years, Geelong 4 in 5 years with a PF in the middle of those 5 years, and Hawthorn 4 GF's in 4 years, but play in a PF then 4 GF's, then finish 3rd but out in straight sets.

They will back end contracts to keep their squad together as well as use ASA's smartly. Some players will accept less for the chance to win flags. Plus players like Jacobs will come to GWS late in their career, take a smaller pay packet to try and win a flag.

Plus they can win a flag or make a GF and end up with a top 5 or 10 pick because of their academy and the 20% discount and if they have to trade out a Cameron they get at least 1 first round pick which they can use on star 18 year old or use for academy matching points.

Clockwork Orange is on the verge of releasing their fury and having a long successful half decade.

Last edited:
Back