Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lol it would have been a better contest than it was against GWS.

Imagine if you played the 2007 Geelong team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I think someone is way overrating Richmond's performance.

That 2007 Geelong side would've still comfortably won. Our 2007 would've been a reasonable contest against Richmond.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Yeah I think someone is way overrating Richmond's performance.

That 2007 Geelong side would've still comfortably won. Our 2007 would've been a reasonable contest against Richmond.

As I watched I kept thinking that we actually played better in the 2007 GF than GWS are playing today. I agree, our 2007 side would have got closer than GWS did yesterday.

I heard a woman on last night's TEN News call Richmond 'the greatest team in the modern era'. I guess it depends on how you define the 'modern era' but someone should tell her that Brisbane won three consecutive flags this century.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
As I watched I kept thinking that we actually played better in the 2007 GF than GWS are playing today. I agree, our 2007 side would have got closer than GWS did yesterday.

I heard a woman on last night's TEN News call Richmond 'the greatest team in the modern era'. I guess it depends on how you define the 'modern era' but someone should tell her that Brisbane won three consecutive flags this century.
Modern Era: 2017-2019

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Obviously Richmond had winners everywhere, but the work that Grimes, Astbury and the highly underrated Broad do each week in blanketing their opponents is immense and yesterday barely been more apparent. Awesome defensive performance.

Yesterday just went like a Richmond supporters wet dream. Hardly gets better than the Marlion Pickett story. Pretty astonishing to have made it through that many obstacles and perform in such an unfazed manner. Could see as a kid he had his heart in the right place, but through disadvantaged circumstances ended up heading down a path that for many results in a downward spiral. For he and those around him to take control of that and successfully manage his life in the way he has is an absolute credit and hopefully a catalyst in sparking some genuine change in how society perceives these situations. Must give credit Hardwick and the others at the Tigers who've been open to managing the rough edges of guys like Martin, Pickett & Stack and subsequently reaping the rewards of their immense talent.

Was a game too far for GWS. Midfield was obliterated, possibly too many guys coming into the game under clouds. As we well know losing a grand final in that manner can have some deep seated implications, though you'd expect with the quality of Coniglio and Ward coming back as not only players but leaders that will be addressed far more appropriately than it was at Port in 2007/08.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I keep reading something into every comment by a Port affiliated person. Like there’s an undercurrent of dissatisfaction.

Tredrea and Jack basically suggesting we are not those things.

Love the pressure Tredrea brings on the club, as best he can I guess.

The Hinkley era will be looked on one day as the stable ‘lost’ years...

Power Girl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I heard Hardwick interviewed about Marlion Pickett and it sounded like other staff were backing Marlion Pickett in and Hardwick had the final decision to make. I could be wrong. It sounded like a professional organisation where he had to take on the advice and trust those around him.

I can't imagine Ken actually listening to other opinions because some of his selections have been downright stupid and seem like he is a saboteur. Secondly I can't imagine Ken making a "brave" decision like that. He plays it so safe that he plays us right out of the contest. Now, Ken has got some decent coaching staff but he is still making stupid decisions which points to he does not listen to or take advice from those around him.

He would be more like Leon Cameron and go back to the well of cooked rucks and other players and then effectively be a player down. He believes older cooked experienced injured player is more valuable than untested, young, fit, hungry to succeed player. Leon Cameron is another version of Ken. Right down to the chaotic game plan. Oh and the selecting of injured players why would you do that?

Have any commentators started pronouncing Marlion Pickett's name correctly yet?

All I've heard is Mar-lon not Mar-ly-on which he has said is the correct pronunciation.

Dalfino

#BringBackTheBars
May 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I can't ******* stand Jack Riewoldt but what I wouldn't give for a player of his passion and dedication at Port. Noticed during the medal presentations he was hyping up almost every single teammate that went up there, he absolutely bleeds love for his club. He has the most punchable face known to man but I'd have him at Port in a heartbeat. That close-knit team spirit is something all should strive for.

I heard Hardwick interviewed about Marlion Pickett and it sounded like other staff were backing Marlion Pickett in and Hardwick had the final decision to make. I could be wrong. It sounded like a professional organisation where he had to take on the advice and trust those around him.

I can't imagine Ken actually listening to other opinions because some of his selections have been downright stupid and seem like he is a saboteur. Secondly I can't imagine Ken making a "brave" decision like that. He plays it so safe that he plays us right out of the contest. Now, Ken has got some decent coaching staff but he is still making stupid decisions which points to he does not listen to or take advice from those around him.

He would be more like Leon Cameron and go back to the well of cooked rucks and other players and then effectively be a player down. He believes older cooked experienced injured player is more valuable than untested, young, fit, hungry to succeed player. Leon Cameron is another version of Ken. Right down to the chaotic game plan. Oh and the selecting of injured players why would you do that?

Hes made plenty of brave decisions. Just because some didnt come off doesnt mean they werent brave. Sutcliffe a prime example.

Pickett played well in a team that dominated against a midfield unit that didnt fire a shot for 3 quarters. He looks a genius after the fact.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can't ******* stand Jack Riewoldt but what I wouldn't give for a player of his passion and dedication at Port. Noticed during the medal presentations he was hyping up almost every single teammate that went up there, he absolutely bleeds love for his club. He has the most punchable face known to man but I'd have him at Port in a heartbeat. That close-knit team spirit is something all should strive for.
That used to be the way port players thought and performed in the old days.
The jumper meant everything sadly I doubt I will ever see that again in my lifetime.

Power Girl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hes made plenty of brave decisions. Just because some didnt come off doesnt mean they werent brave. Sutcliffe a prime example.

Pickett played well in a team that dominated against a midfield unit that didnt fire a shot for 3 quarters. He looks a genius after the fact.
Well you may call Ken's decisions brave but i call them stupid. He has continued to play injured, old, cooked players that are leaving the club over developing youngsters. I call that stupid.

I agree that the decision to play Pickett could have backfired but it didn't because they have strong, reliable, team structures to support player X out and Player Y in. Imagine have a team that doesn't have to rely on some individual brilliance to get them over the line but instead have a well drilled team that all players can be replaced and the winning goes on.

It was also the right decision by Hardwick and his team because they put in a player that would compliment what they needed. Not just a gold pass for someone who is a favourite or has had a good month. They put in place what they needed.

The decision to play Pickett was not a hail mary one but a carefully thought out and planned one. If it had gone pear shaped they trusted their structures to support him to play his role.

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well you may call Ken's decisions brave but i call them stupid. He has continued to play injured, old, cooked players that are leaving the club over developing youngsters. I call that stupid.

I agree that the decision to play Pickett could have backfired but it didn't because they have strong, reliable, team structures to support player X out and Player Y in. Imagine have a team that doesn't have to rely on some individual brilliance to get them over the line but instead have a well drilled team that all players can be replaced and the winning goes on.

It was also the right decision by Hardwick and his team because they put in a player that would compliment what they needed. Not just a gold pass for someone who is a favourite or has had a good month. They put in place what they needed.

The decision to play Pickett was not a hail mary one but a carefully thought out and planned one. If it had gone pear shaped they trusted their structures to support him to play his role.

It's possible to add that Pickett had known elite talent over a period of time in the WAFL and was BOG in the VFL Grand Final the previous week, so he was no flash in the pan player.

Regretably for him, Cam Sutcliffe has never displayed that sort of talent but it's not his fault he was selected.

Playing Sutcliffe was 'brave' in the same way that sticking your head in a lion's mouth while your mate flicks the lion's ballsack is brave. In that 'brave' is a substitute for stupid.

Dropping Xavier Duursma and replacing him with an 100+ game delistee plodder who wasn't even in particularly good form to come in and play a defensive role is about the least 'brave' selection I can think of.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Dropping Xavier Duursma and replacing him with an 100+ game delistee plodder who wasn't even in particularly good form to come in and play a defensive role is about the least 'brave' selection I can think of.
C'mon, Neale wasn't going to terrorise himself.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
My wife's God-daughter worked with the players at Richmond for 4yrs(?) and says of ^ "total a/hole"

Playing Sutcliffe was 'brave' in the same way that sticking your head in a lion's mouth while your mate flicks the lion's ballsack is brave. In that 'brave' is a substitute for stupid.

And that incredibly brave decision to play Aidyn Johnson in a tagging role in the Showdown. Such bravery is why we are where we are today.

Back