Review 2019 AFL Grand Final - Richmond v GWS Saturday Sept 28th MCG 2.30pm

Who will win the 2019 AFL Grand Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of us make subjective claims about quality all the time. They're impossible to avoid. You've been doing so yourself all throughout this conversation. Hence your claims about Richmond's quality.

Your subjective belief is clearly that every era is of equal quality and that every premiership therefore is equally hard to win. Every statement you have made implies as much. Now, that's fine if you want to believe it - even though personally I think it's an incoherent position to hold, as to me it's self-evident that not all premierships are created equal and that some are better then others - but if you're going to premise your arguments on that belief, at least be willing to own and defend it.

If you had said "Richmond were the best team this year" I would have accepted that as a fairly reasonable view. But you didn't. You went further than that and made claims about their historical excellence relative to other teams which imo were miles better. That's the part I dispute (very strongly)
Good points.
I've just been reminded of the 97,98 Crows flags that I had said were superb, and they certainly weren't the best team in both years, but did go on to win flags.
All I can conclude is that if Richmond go onto to win 1 or 2 more GF's in this era, they should be as highly regarded as Lions, Cats and Hawks teams of the modern era.
You are probably right with all your points about my claims, but I also feel the need to reject those who discredit Richmond's wins as if inferior because of the competition.

No surprise who responds negatively in the cats favour.

Time after time.
But do you agree? That was a close thing, and I often hear people talk about that prelim and what might have been. Is that being negative in the Cats favour?

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope the Cats players were watching the game and realising what it takes.
A team of 22 all pulling together, all playing for each other and not themselves and a willingness to RUN all freaking day.
Richmond are probably the fittest team in the comp due to their gamestyle, but it works, it's "chaos" footy but it's controlled because they all do what they have to do.
Really there's only 1 ego in that team, Martin, but they play and cover to allow him to play like that (plus he basically stays forward 80% of the game now).

Clearly though the tigers could have threatened 119 if Grimes played in the ruck instead of Nankervis.

If a Geelong player did what Cotchin does he would be rubbed out. That's why Cotchin does cross the line because there's no penalty applied to him.

/shruggs was gonna post this but thought obvious post was too obvious

Baby Duck

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Surely Ralph is just taking the piss now with the whole Pickett story:

Jesus. Why is everyone losing their heads over it? Richmond could have brought in an inanimate carbon rod and it still would have had a great game against those orange witches hats. GWS were not prepared for that game at all.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fun fact - after only one game of AFL, Marlion Pickett has the same number of premierships as St Kilda.

Haha whats the difference btwn Matthew Scarlett and st kilda. Scarlo has won more premierships

That joke mever gets old #dontchangestkilda

Fun fact - after only one game of AFL, Marlion Pickett has the same number of premierships as St Kilda.
He is also now eligible for Richmond life membership - even if he never plays another match

I hope the Cats players were watching the game and realising what it takes.
A team of 22 all pulling together, all playing for each other and not themselves and a willingness to RUN all freaking day.
Richmond are probably the fittest team in the comp due to their gamestyle, but it works, it's "chaos" footy but it's controlled because they all do what they have to do.
Really there's only 1 ego in that team, Martin, but they play and cover to allow him to play like that (plus he basically stays forward 80% of the game now).

Clearly though the tigers could have threatened 119 if Grimes played in the ruck instead of Nankervis.
If Martin is their only ego, it further proves how far they have come, because he is anything but ego. He is the outstanding player in the comp, and is capable of a third NS. But your post is spot on. They ALL play for each other and talk about being blood brothers. Something happened down there pre 2017 and it has completely galvanised them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back