List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just looking over the trade/draft outcomes and realised it's easy to forget how well the club has done.
Losing out of Coniglio made everything else feel underwhelming, especially with the slightly unexpcted selection of Will Day, but the closer I looked at the changes and selections, the more I realised how good we have done.

Patton & Frost are likely to play in the best 22 - cost us next to nothing.
Then we picked up 2 first round-rated players in Day and Maginness, paying significantly under the expected value for the latter.
Traded back into next season's second round.
Picked up Jeka as a rookie - who was projected as a likely top 10-20 pick before his injury.

The only club I am envious of is Fremantle's haul of 3 top ten picks.
They've done really well out of losing B.Hill and Langdon, while bringing in Aish & Acres - then adding Young, Serong and Henry.
5 players who will make a big impact for them.

I'm quite pleased overall in the way we have brought in ready made senior players and fresh talent, while we still have our 1st and 2nd picks for next season!

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Here's how I rank the draft hauls from what I've seen of the players. Admittedly there were a few that I haven't seen anything of so basically just gauged it on the players I knew & then from what I've read on the others. I think we have done well but definitely think there were a fair few teams that did better than us on the players exposed form so far.

Gold Coast
Fremantle
Port
Sydney
Adelaide
GWS
Geelong
Hawks
Brisbane
Melbourne
Carlton
Richmond
Essendon
Bulldogs
Collingwood
North
West Coast/Saints

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
List being set up to counter the media faves. 2008 the media couldn't see past the cats fast movement, meanwhile we had skill to counter it (and the teams who copied them)

Now We are setting up a list that will counter the tigers game plan
Yep, can't cause chaos if the other team is denying you the opportunity by marking everything. Fast ball movement and clunking marks is were we are going with the game plan. And if we don't mark it we are creating enough physical presence to make it difficult to win the ball back.

Jan 9, 2007
Country Vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Just saw on the AFL website that the 3rd round pick we traded in for 2020 is actually tied to Essendon, not Brisbane or Collingwood. That makes next year's selections look a little better...

Traded in:
- Round two pick (tied to North Melbourne)
- Round three pick (tied to Essendon, on-traded by Collingwood, Brisbane)
- Round four pick (tied to Western Bulldogs)

Traded out:
- Round two pick to Melbourne

If North finish outside of the eight it means our 2nd rounder should be mid-20ish, while we will also have a pair of 3rd round picks. We could only hope that Essendon finish towards the lower end of the ladder, meaning their 3rd round might come in early-40ish. Definitely gives us a bit of flexibility to accumulate points for our own NGA prospect or to trade to other clubs keen to access picks for their own FS/NGA selections.

Here's how I rank the draft hauls from what I've seen of the players. Admittedly there were a few that I haven't seen anything of so basically just gauged it on the players I knew & then from what I've read on the others. I think we have done well but definitely think there were a fair few teams that did better than us on the players exposed form so far.

Gold Coast
Fremantle
Port
Sydney
Adelaide
GWS
Geelong
Hawks
Brisbane
Melbourne
Carlton
Richmond
Essendon
Bulldogs
Collingwood
North
West Coast/Saints
So, you are basically saying "I'm three parts ignorant and pissing in the wind" however based on my lack of knowledge and my occasional superior name recognition this is the complete and ultimate assessment of all teams drafting?

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Didn’t the club say we’re striving for 2 premierships by 2022?? I back the club like others on here to get it done!! Can’t wait, even just one in that time would do.

Yeah the club said 2 by the end of 2022 in the plan, going to be an almighty task to win a Premiership this year or go back to back in 21 & 22 to achieve it.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Just saw on the AFL website that the 3rd round pick we traded in for 2020 is actually tied to Essendon, not Brisbane or Collingwood. That makes next year's selections look a little better...

Traded in:
- Round two pick (tied to North Melbourne)
- Round three pick (tied to Essendon, on-traded by Collingwood, Brisbane)
- Round four pick (tied to Western Bulldogs)

Traded out:
- Round two pick to Melbourne

If North finish outside of the eight it means our 2nd rounder should be mid-20ish, while we will also have a pair of 3rd round picks. We could only hope that Essendon finish towards the lower end of the ladder, meaning their 3rd round might come in early-40ish. Definitely gives us a bit of flexibility to accumulate points for our own NGA prospect or to trade to other clubs keen to access picks for their own FS/NGA selections.

Lets say the dogs finish mid table, the pick will be worth about 100 'points'

this is how the bulldogs pick worked out (I think they were 64 originally) Hawks passed with the pick anyway

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So, you are basically saying "I'm three parts ignorant and pissing in the wind" however based on my lack of knowledge and my occasional superior name recognition this is the complete and ultimate assessment of all teams drafting?
I'm providing my opinion & considering I actually have watched a fair few (80%) of the draftees I thought I'd put together how I rank each team draft wise.

I could have easily come on here and claimed that I've seen them all play regularly but I clearly put in my post how I hadn't seen some of them at all or as much as others.

I'll also think you'll find there wouldn't be many people that weren't involved heavily as an AFL club recruiter that would know all the players drafted...

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We didn't recruit Patton, Frost and Hartley to contend in 2022. We are going for it in 2020.

The reason we didn't draft for now is because its a silly strategy.

Firstly 2 out of 3 draftees are gone in 4 years or less having played a handful of games at most, so you're no1 goal with any pick is to pick 1 of the other 1/3 regardless of position and whether they can possibly contribute sooner.

Secondly 90% of players take at least a couple of years to do anything meaningful most even longer.

thirdly a lot of players end up playing different roles than they did in their junior years.

We didn't recruit Patton, Frost and Hartley to contend in 2022. We are going for it in 2020.

The reason we didn't draft for now is because its a silly strategy.

Firstly 2 out of 3 draftees are gone in 4 years or less having played a handful of games at most, so you're no1 goal with any pick is to pick 1 of the other 1/3 regardless of position and whether they can possibly contribute sooner.

Secondly 90% of players take at least a couple of years to do anything meaningful most even longer.

thirdly a lot of players end up playing different roles than they did in their junior years.
Yep. Those guys are allowing us to contend in the short term while also giving us the best chance in the long term by allowing guys like Kozzie and Jeka time to develop rather than just be thrown into the deep end before they're really ready.

Back