List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we’ve done alright overall hopefully the Adelaide rat tail boy will lose that low rent haircut once he gets amongst his peers in Melbourne and I must admit some of those trades we did seem a bit nonsensical to me but I guess they know what they are doing .Bringing these tall KPs in this morning has been a win I think too .

Can we finish on the trades once and for all, please?

Trading up: We don't know that's what the club wanted to accomplish but it looks like it was. But apparently other teams didn't agree. Get over it.

Trading out 30 and 43: They would have been lost on a Finn call. We traded them when we know Finn was going, keeping our options open until the last second if we could get a pick before Finn got called. When we couldn't get up and Finn was due we trade them out to keep them next year.

This is all so simple. The childish ranting about this is really triggering me for some reason. Please, please, please some training reports.

Anyone surprised we didn't look to bring in another small forward?

Also a little surprised we didn't get back into the late first/early second round of the ND.

Reckon we'll wait til next year and re-sign Minch in the supplementary period.

Bremner20

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2012
Sale Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Trading up: We don't know that's what the club wanted to accomplish but it looks like it was. But apparently other teams didn't agree. Get over it.

Trading out 30 and 43: They would have been lost on a Finn call. We traded them when we know Finn was going, keeping our options open until the last second if we could get a pick before Finn got called. When we couldn't get up and Finn was due we trade them out to keep them next year.

This is all so simple. The childish ranting about this is really triggering me for some reason. Please, please, please some training reports.
I wasn’t ranting at all just saying I didn’t really understand the reason for it but assumed the people who made the decisions did and they obviously had a good reason for doing it that way just wasn’t really plain to see for the average Hawthorn punter like myself . You are actually the only one who’s ranting my friend .

number23

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reckon we'll wait til next year and re-sign Minch in the supplementary period.

Yeah. Sadly all the quality small forwards were gone by the time we got our 2nd "real" pick and they decided to go with Day first. It's harder to find quality users of the ball than the sometimes inconsistent small forward.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone surprised we didn't look to bring in another small forward?

Also a little surprised we didn't get back into the late first/early second round of the ND.

I'd say we tried. They were saying Port were being offered future firsts for their pick 22 overnight.

Seems teams value current picks way more than future ones, whether that's just this year or a general thing who knows.

number23

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From AFL Draft Central:

#58 Emerson Jeka
Western Jets/Vic Metro | Key Forward/Defender
18/09/2001 | 198cm | 90kg

On upside, Jeka is a lot higher, but it is just piecing all of his traits together for some consistency. He is an elite contested mark, is virtually an eight-second flat agility test and near three seconds 20m sprint candidate. This athleticism is something rare in players of his size, but the inconsistencies of the past few years, as well as finding his best position – between forward and back – means he is still a raw prospect who has to develop. Given his traits, if he can be put to work and learn off a more aggressive mentor at an AFL club, then he will add more to his game. He has the physicality to really worry opposition defenders when leading out, it is just showing it on a more consistent basis. His best is winning a game off his own boot, but it just happens in seldom, so the best is yet to come from the Western Jets tall.

MJA33

All Australian
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Attachments

• C3560CFA-26CE-480F-8FBA-B6432D32D9A3.png
    C3560CFA-26CE-480F-8FBA-B6432D32D9A3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 246
Emerson is a 197cm KPP who's year didn't go to plan. He started the season as a potential first round pick but some wavering form and a mid season knee injury has seen him fall down the draft order. Despite that, there is undeniable talent there. He is a contested marking machine, capable of clunking marks under pressure and in pack situations. He is a decent athlete, leads hard up the ground, has good agility and has impressive pace to create seperation on his opponent. At the moment he looks best as a CHF where he can lead up the ground more, but he can play closer to goal and even down back which he did for Western during the year.

Where he lets himself down is his kicking for goal can be troublesome, as well as not attacking the ball as well as he could on occasion. Even though he is a great contested mark, he doesn't fly for his marks as often as he could and sometimes waits for the ball to hit the ground in contests.

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
One thing that annoyed me about draft coverage the other night was that every player was talked up as an A grader. Now I don't want them to have a pop at someone for the sake of it, but is some sort of objective analysis too hard to ask? Saying who they play like while a good idea on paper, just means the public think they've got the new Nat Fyfe at pick 50. I don't think I heard Sheehan say any player had a deficiency all night.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

You're the one that needs to move on. This is a place for discussion, and that's a big discussion topic that's of interest given it's draft week.

Stop reading the threads if you don't like it. Or at the least stop replying to the posts you happen to not like.

MJA33

All Australian
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ive watched him closely both at GP games and on the basketball court he is a defensive beast very athletic for his size and hates to get beaten . Think Campbell Brown with more skill and more athleticism but with the same mongrel competitiveness .
Great prospect!
Can’t teach competitiveness

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing that annoyed me about draft coverage the other night was that every player was talked up as an A grader. Now I don't want them to have a pop at someone for the sake of it, but is some sort of objective analysis too hard to ask? Saying who they play like while a good idea on paper, just means the public think they've got the new Nat Fyfe at pick 50. I don't think I heard Sheehan say any player had a deficiency all night.

Tbh, it's the same every year. If you read any player profile it generally only lists the kid's strengths and upside.

Overall list changes:

OUT:
Roughead, Birchall, Pittonet, Brand, Miles, Mirra, Minchington, Mohr, Schoenmakers

IN:
Frost, Patton, Day, Finn the Human, Morris, Hartley, Jeka, Pepper

Given the form of those outgoing players I think it's pretty fair to say we've improved our list a significant amount!

Also, that's 9 out and 8 in so one more space to grab Minch again or maybe even Partington as a DFA.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Private ownership in the NBA. You can't diddle another owner out of their opportunity for success, it gets voted down.
If an NBA team does poorly or dies in a particular city, it can just move or sell to another rich person who has the ego to lose lots of money if need be to sit sidelines and....well, own.

In the AFL, if clubs were simply allowed to survive or not on their own devices 3 or 4 would be out of business in just a couple years with no real pathway to bring new ones in to the fold. The start up costs are just astronomical.
Then throw in the fact the entire game is subsidized by media rights and their need to sell advertising nationally, based on a certain number of games airing over the year in the various markets across the country, and the current system makes eminent sense.

You may hate the player, but you'd have to hate the game not to want it to be manipulated so that it survives.
I am totally across the model, but regardless of that their most important stake holders are the same as ours, supporters!

Could you imagine Steve Smith on ESPN if these concessions happened in the states? He’d be starting a revolt and gunning for Silva’s head. We as a sports entertainment industry just don’t have the same ruthlessness or expectations as the yanks do, it’s bloody sad, our loyalty to this great game is our downfall.

Back