List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chad and I

Team Captain
Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am intrigued by the last remaining rookie spot on our list.
Is it Minchington's to lose? Fully fit and with some continuity, he plays senior football IMO.

I must say that I am surprised that no club thought Luke Partington worth a spot.
He would be in the top 6 mids at 10 clubs by round 1.

HawksILove

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am intrigued by the last remaining rookie spot on our list.
Is it Minchington's to lose? Fully fit and with some continuity, he plays senior football IMO.

I must say that I am surprised that no club thought Luke Partington worth a spot.
He would be in the top 6 mids at 10 clubs by round 1.
We are looking at Partington
got this from the afl site

Delisted Hawk Darren Minchington has been training at Waverley Park in the possibility of earning a lifeline, while they've also shown interest in Magarey medallist Luke Partington .
I hope we do pick Luke up.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Randy Campbell

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2009
Scarborough WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay
Yep. You gotta wonder whether Clarko is devising a plan to counter Richmond’s game style.
Mastering the art of creating and negating intercept marking.

An art teacher can improve an artist technique a lot easier than they can improve an artist timing.
Some things you just caught be taught.

number23

Debutant
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Delisted Hawk Darren Minchington has been training at Waverley Park in the possibility of earning a lifeline, while they've also shown interest in Magarey medallist Luke Partington .
I hope we do pick Luke up.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
From my understanding Partington is an inside and outside mid with a bit of pace and that's something that we could use. Whilst Mitchington fits a positional need for us I suspect that Partington has more upside. He does have a Margarey Medal after being delisted so he's worked hard from a kick in the guts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sohsam

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The elephant in the room is why we did not pick Kemp. Many people in this chat wanted him.

I liked Kemp for what he could be... but clearly the Hawks did not like him as much as they did Day because of one of many reasons ... Kemp’s injury and likely rehab prospects, his position within the team, or maybe something less tangible...

My oath Day is skinny. But you can see his footy IQ And poise. Combined with his double sided quality skills, speed, and marking ability he Is pretty certain to be a long term Hawthorn player in a position. So I give this a big tick.

A quick analysis of the last 13 years of top 10s (not including the last 3 years).... more than 30% are not Best 22 players. Kemp clearly has the talent, but IF he is up against a guy his size and stronger.. say, Cripps in the centre, would he crumble? None of us know. Just saying, There are intangibles.

Day has everything other than the muscle and strength to compete at AFL level. I really like him as our choice.
I think most people felt if either Kemp/Robertson available, we would pounce, but we did not. One option I proposed splitting pick 11 for later draft picks, at the time Adelaide's picks 23,28,37 looked good along with our 30,42. As it turned out bid came at 29, so we would use 30 on Finn. I am no expert but Rivers at pick 32 seems good enough a choice as Day except better developed. I probably would have gone with attempt at multiple good players like Sharp(27)/rivers(32)/maginess (bid 29)/Bianco (44)/Ralphsmiths (45) as examples. If you are not particular there were good players in the 23-45 range.

To answer your question, I think the club was particular and wanted Day badly. Most of attack starts from backline, to have a guy who can play on both sides, able to mark strongly, quick transition out of backline, catch forwards like Patton one out or our small clever forwards in critical like Sicily. It also did not want to use high enough pick on Maginess, so moved second round to next year. Its strategy is to have more picks next year. It is all like a game of chess. Everyone has a different way to achieve success. For the romantic / sentimental in us could not get better than grandfather/son and father/son selection, could not have script that better, now hope they develop nicely.

Pessimistic

TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I think most people felt if either Kemp/Robertson available, we would pounce, but we did not. One option I proposed splitting pick 11 for later draft picks, at the time Adelaide's picks 23,28,37 looked good along with our 30,42. As it turned out bid came at 29, so we would use 30 on Finn. I am no expert but Rivers at pick 32 seems good enough a choice as Day except better developed. I probably would have gone with attempt at multiple good players like Sharp(27)/rivers(32)/maginess (bid 29)/Bianco (44)/Ralphsmiths (45) as examples. If you are not particular there were good players in the 23-45 range.

To answer your question, I think the club was particular and wanted Day badly. Most of attack starts from backline, to have a guy who can play on both sides, able to mark strongly, quick transition out of backline, catch forwards like Patton one out or our small clever forwards in critical like Sicily. It also did not want to use high enough pick on Maginess, so moved second round to next year. Its strategy is to have more picks next year. It is all like a game of chess. Everyone has a different way to achieve success. For the romantic / sentimental in us could not get better than grandfather/son and father/son selection, could not have script that better, now hope they develop nicely.
thats my take. In the end we could have used our original picks pretty much as they were, but they traded to cover for an early bud on finn, plus generated some draft picks next year, for some reason which will be clearer in a years time.
maybe to trade for established players, or if many clubs have academy targets already, perhals a smokey can be sneaked through

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The north trade is the one that makes no sense, keeping 30 would have given us options and with the late mail being Finn wouldn't receive a bid until the second round we could have waited.

Day 2 comes and As an example essendon trade 35 +50 to get down to 30 I think. We could have quite easily used 30 + 54 I think we had to get into the mid 20s and had a chance at a Jones, Robertson , Taylor , Sharpe and our draft haul would look that much more impressive . I'd say the clubs would have had a fair indication of the first few players picked day 2 because goldcost flying dew over to Perth when 5 teams picked in front of them wouldn't just happen unless they had guarentees Sharpe wpuld be there .

Overall I'm happy with day and maginness but getting a year into another top 30 prospect would have been ideal with a few players like to retire come seasons end.

The Chad and I

Team Captain
Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The north trade is the one that makes no sense, keeping 30 would have given us options and with the late mail being Finn wouldn't receive a bid until the second round we could have waited.

Day 2 comes and As an example essendon trade 35 +50 to get down to 30 I think. We could have quite easily used 30 + 54 I think we had to get into the mid 20s and had a chance at a Jones, Robertson , Taylor , Sharpe and our draft haul would look that much more impressive . I'd say the clubs would have had a fair indication of the first few players picked day 2 because goldcost flying dew over to Perth when 5 teams picked in front of them wouldn't just happen unless they had guarentees Sharpe wpuld be there .

Overall I'm happy with day and maginness but getting a year into another top 30 prospect would have been ideal with a few players like to retire come seasons end.
Great!
Let's just go back in time and fix it, now that we know for sure Finn won't be taken in the first round.

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I think the Hawks might have their eye on trading in a player next year, we have a pile of draft points and teams like the Dogs have bugger all and 3-4 players they can match including one that is likely to go very high up.

This is just my opinion of course.
They have given themselves a lot of flexibility in the 2020 draft/trade period.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Post Draft

The dust has settled and we netted three Footballers first, sound athletes second. Perhaps “not sexy” selections and definitely with an eye to the future. We went to a draft for kids, many clamoured for this strategy.....how did we fare ?? I reckon we were too conservative or are we holding on for a further super aggressive push.

BUT we need more of all three types we took, plus more, over the next two trade/draft periods.
At least one elite mid. Another big burst mid.
Two more at least, running mids who can break lines. Smith, Henderson, and not long after, Scully replacements.
And still no replacements for Cyril, Poppy and soon Bruest.

The KP stocks are best they have been in 5years.
All six Draft additions are all quick or at least athletic. Nothing slow. I am assured all excellent decision makers and brave. GREAT CHARACTERISTICS !!

The full hand of picks for next year (plus future trade options) plus not one but two additional 2020 picks in a Draft that most are saying is highly compromised, probably the most compromised of all time, is highly intriguing. Do we have a different view of its quality or are we going to be super aggressive again. Remember we have a highly attractive Cap position, some might suggest, war chest.

There is MUCH, MUCH work still to be done. MUCH !!!

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We went into the draft with a list that needed, as obvious priorities:

Fast skillful midfielders

Fast pressure forwards

The picks in our hand came up short, at times just.

Unless players like Hanrahan, Golds etc. come on in leaps and bounds this season we will enter next years trade and draft period with exactly the same holes to fill.

The kids we have drafted look to have talent but don't fill our immediate needs.
We have played the long game here as they were seen as best available at our picks.

Missing on Cognilio and Pickett has set us back at least 12 months. Guess we will learn some patience. In clarko and wright we trust.

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The clear hole is the pressure fwd role. Pop is done and Ollie/ Nash the heir apparents. Have no doubt we would've taken Pickett at 13. The search continues. Perhaps the hardest role on the ground to fill. And the most crucial.
How can you say you have “no doubt” we would have picked Pickett? We were more strongly linked to Day than we ever were to Pickett.

Bugs1977

Premiership Player
May 3, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Detroit Pistons
How can you say you have “no doubt” we would have picked Pickett? We were more strongly linked to Day than we ever were to Pickett.
Pickett IMO is gonna be a gun and his game will most definitely translate to the top level. He would’ve filled an immediate need for us but I guess we’ll never know. Pickett is friends with the Burgoyne families and has been in the HFC rooms a fair bit.

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pickett IMO is gonna be a gun and his game will most definitely translate to the top level. He would’ve filled an immediate need for us but I guess we’ll never know. Pickett is friends with the Burgoyne families and has been in the HFC rooms a fair bit.
And as our national recruiting manager Mark McKenzie said, we are not recruiting to fix immediate needs but for the long term future.

Top Bottom