List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

killerspud

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its a ridiculous precedent to set regarding draft pick value.

The AFL should not have signed off on the trade as it only further dilutes the the draft integrity until the skewed version is back on a level playing field.
oh wait... there will be more teams added to the AFL that will also need propping.

The afl world had better get used to the idea of a stacked deck for quite some time.
Take what you can get & keep moving forward
Not really you say they traded 27 for what would be pick 10ish but most scribes had Sharp 10-15 in a really strong draft. I think it was an astute move

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd2Sewell

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
And as our national recruiting manager Mark McKenzie said, we are not recruiting to fix immediate needs but for the long term future.
Seemingly a different message from the club about where we are at then, given the talk about flags by 2022. Maybe they now realise we aren't a legit flag threat in the immediate future and have changed their strategy?

Judd2Sewell

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
How can you say you have “no doubt” we would have picked Pickett? We were more strongly linked to Day than we ever were to Pickett.
We were strongly linked to Pickett, Taylor, Robertson (early on, before anyone else), Kemp and Day (late in the piece).

Pessimistic

TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The clear hole is the pressure fwd role. Pop is done and Ollie/ Nash the heir apparents. Have no doubt we would've taken Pickett at 13. The search continues. Perhaps the hardest role on the ground to fill. And the most crucial.
maybe poppys role is the hardest to fill in the afl full stop. Maybe theres only him

Bugs1977

Premiership Player
May 3, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Detroit Pistons
And as our national recruiting manager Mark McKenzie said, we are not recruiting to fix immediate needs but for the long term future.
If you go back and read any of my comments about the draft you’ll see that I’ve always said that earlier in the draft you always go for talent of filling a need. I have no problem with the selection of Day it’s just that Pickett was my personal preference. I will always trust the club over my preference because 80% they never let me down but that doesn’t mean Pickett isn’t going to be a star. Day has enormous upside with his first wall to climb being to fill out his frame by putting some size on. Hopefully the club does that naturally and doesn’t rush it but once again I trust the club to do by right by him.

PhatHQ

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not really you say they traded 27 for what would be pick 10ish but most scribes had Sharp 10-15 in a really strong draft. I think it was an astute move
Any other club would be dragged over the coals if they did the same but not GC.
If it were Melbourne or Carlton offloading a mid first round pick for pick 27 & steak knives, we would be having a field day about how stupid the clubs would be.
I stand by my comments KS sorry mate... ridiculous from the AFL to sign off on & further skew club equalisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell Madness

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Disappointed Boucher hasn't been given a chance. I really think he would at least provide a bit of insurance for our small (poppy, breust etc)

ralphwiggum

Club Legend
May 28, 2005
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Springfield Isotopes
Seemingly a different message from the club about where we are at then, given the talk about flags by 2022. Maybe they now realise we aren't a legit flag threat in the immediate future and have changed their strategy?
I think we'll continue look at trades to address immediate needs when it comes to it. IMHO, drafting for the future (this draft and 2020 with Downie?) probably is to ensure we don't fall off the cliff after our next tilt rather than providing the core to contend in the next couple of years

Tugofawar

Rookie
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We are looking at Partington
got this from the afl site

Delisted Hawk Darren Minchington has been training at Waverley Park in the possibility of earning a lifeline, while they've also shown interest in Magarey medallist Luke Partington .
I hope we do pick Luke up.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is Lids eligible as a SSP signing as I noted that the AFL website states previously listed players can be SSP signings.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Didn’t the club say we’re striving for 2 premierships by 2022?? I back the club like others on here to get it done!! Can’t wait, even just one in that time would do.

Bugs1977

Premiership Player
May 3, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Parramatta Eels, Detroit Pistons
Do you have any idea how hard it is to fill this role? And how crucial it is to our gameplan?
Having at least 3 x pressure forwards allowed us to lose the best forward in the game (Buddy) and still go on to win a couple more GFs. Then you look at how the Tigers and Eagles have both had the same (3 x pressure forwards) gone on to win GFs. Then you look at Collingwood, GWS and the Cats who lack that amount of pressure forwards and can see how important it is to get over the hump. Hopefully with us strengthening our KPP stocks this offseason you’d hope that a pressure forward or 2 is the next port of call.

Alite

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
Snowtown
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think most people felt if either Kemp/Robertson available, we would pounce, but we did not. One option I proposed splitting pick 11 for later draft picks, at the time Adelaide's picks 23,28,37 looked good along with our 30,42. As it turned out bid came at 29, so we would use 30 on Finn. I am no expert but Rivers at pick 32 seems good enough a choice as Day except better developed. I probably would have gone with attempt at multiple good players like Sharp(27)/rivers(32)/maginess (bid 29)/Bianco (44)/Ralphsmiths (45) as examples. If you are not particular there were good players in the 23-45 range.

To answer your question, I think the club was particular and wanted Day badly. Most of attack starts from backline, to have a guy who can play on both sides, able to mark strongly, quick transition out of backline, catch forwards like Patton one out or our small clever forwards in critical like Sicily. It also did not want to use high enough pick on Maginess, so moved second round to next year. Its strategy is to have more picks next year. It is all like a game of chess. Everyone has a different way to achieve success. For the romantic / sentimental in us could not get better than grandfather/son and father/son selection, could not have script that better, now hope they develop nicely.
In hindsight I would have loved your concept of trading back. Not to say that I don’t like Will Day, I do ... a lot.
But Sharp looks like a top 10 pick and I wish we could have found a way to get him in the 20s after we took player X and before we took Finn. It is entirely possible we did propose a way to get Sharp but were outbid by the GCS with their future pick 11.
That said, our draft night was always about where the bid on Finn would come. The way things panned out may have changed if we had not traded out our pick 30 for a future 2nd rounder. We got Finn at pick 29 ... could it be that other clubs were nervous about a bid, to get extra time, because we passed on Mozzie last year ->never bluff a straight shooter. It seems that Finn slid because other clubs knew he was coming to the Hawks but that we would pass if they bid too early.

Cal Tomey‘s phantom draft had Finn being bid on the the 20s. Though his phantom draft is designed to figure out when players are likely to be taken and not how good he thinks they are. His thoughts on the quality of the player are expressed in his ”Power Ratings“, and in that he had Finn at 15.
... and Will Day at pick 18.
So, if Twomey is right the Hawks have gotten 2 of the best 20 18 year olds in the country and, as you say, improved their position in the 2020 draft.

However this is broken down, the Hawks have done well.

Josh Morris at pick 57... they Must have a Sicily-style plan for him... at the time I was hoping we would call out Jeka’s name.

Getting Jeka as a rookie... awesome!

As you and others have said, it is the development of talent that really matters and that is where the Hawks shine.
For mine, the Hawks have drafted players with the talent that can be honed into premiership players.

p.s. I was never interested in Robertson... for Mine he is too much like Mitchell

Last edited:

Alite

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
Snowtown
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agreed... in hindsight where would Worpel go in his draft year... quality players slip. 2020’s pick 11 for Sharp was a good deal for GCS. IMO Geelong was the looser in the trade.
I would have been happy if we took Sharp at pick 13.

The thing I don’t understand is why Sharp was not taken earlier before Philip, Dow, and Georgiadis.

Time will reveal all.

Alite

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
Snowtown
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any other club would be dragged over the coals if they did the same but not GC.
If it were Melbourne or Carlton offloading a mid first round pick for pick 27 & steak knives, we would be having a field day about how stupid the clubs would be.
I stand by my comments KS sorry mate... ridiculous from the AFL to sign off on & further skew club equalisation.
PhatHQ, you are entirely right, as is killerspud.
The AFL is Consistency skewing the draft and changing the rules to benefit the expansion clubs. This is not in question. My question to you PhatHQ is: how many premierships have they won? I would propose the idea that the Hawks 3 peat was helped by the introduction of these new clubs due to the talent drain actually helping us as we cherry picked players from other teams to help us win flags. The introduction of the GCS and GWS helped us.

killerspud: only time will tell be I also think Sharp Is worth a 2020 pick 11.

Last edited:

Top Bottom