List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Hawks might have their eye on trading in a player next year, we have a pile of draft points and teams like the Dogs have bugger all and 3-4 players they can match including one that is likely to go very high up.

This is just my opinion of course.

I think the Hawks might have their eye on trading in a player next year, we have a pile of draft points and teams like the Dogs have bugger all and 3-4 players they can match including one that is likely to go very high up.

This is just my opinion of course.

They have given themselves a lot of flexibility in the 2020 draft/trade period.

Post Draft

The dust has settled and we netted three Footballers first, sound athletes second. Perhaps “not sexy” selections and definitely with an eye to the future. We went to a draft for kids, many clamoured for this strategy.....how did we fare ?? I reckon we were too conservative or are we holding on for a further super aggressive push.

BUT we need more of all three types we took, plus more, over the next two trade/draft periods.
At least one elite mid. Another big burst mid.
Two more at least, running mids who can break lines. Smith, Henderson, and not long after, Scully replacements.
And still no replacements for Cyril, Poppy and soon Bruest.

The KP stocks are best they have been in 5years.
All six Draft additions are all quick or at least athletic. Nothing slow. I am assured all excellent decision makers and brave. GREAT CHARACTERISTICS !!

The full hand of picks for next year (plus future trade options) plus not one but two additional 2020 picks in a Draft that most are saying is highly compromised, probably the most compromised of all time, is highly intriguing. Do we have a different view of its quality or are we going to be super aggressive again. Remember we have a highly attractive Cap position, some might suggest, war chest.

There is MUCH, MUCH work still to be done. MUCH !!!

We went into the draft with a list that needed, as obvious priorities:

Fast skillful midfielders

Fast pressure forwards

The picks in our hand came up short, at times just.

Unless players like Hanrahan, Golds etc. come on in leaps and bounds this season we will enter next years trade and draft period with exactly the same holes to fill.

The kids we have drafted look to have talent but don't fill our immediate needs.
We have played the long game here as they were seen as best available at our picks.

Missing on Cognilio and Pickett has set us back at least 12 months. Guess we will learn some patience. In clarko and wright we trust.

The clear hole is the pressure fwd role. Pop is done and Ollie/ Nash the heir apparents. Have no doubt we would've taken Pickett at 13. The search continues. Perhaps the hardest role on the ground to fill. And the most crucial.
How can you say you have “no doubt” we would have picked Pickett? We were more strongly linked to Day than we ever were to Pickett.

How can you say you have “no doubt” we would have picked Pickett? We were more strongly linked to Day than we ever were to Pickett.
Pickett IMO is gonna be a gun and his game will most definitely translate to the top level. He would’ve filled an immediate need for us but I guess we’ll never know. Pickett is friends with the Burgoyne families and has been in the HFC rooms a fair bit.

Pickett IMO is gonna be a gun and his game will most definitely translate to the top level. He would’ve filled an immediate need for us but I guess we’ll never know. Pickett is friends with the Burgoyne families and has been in the HFC rooms a fair bit.
And as our national recruiting manager Mark McKenzie said, we are not recruiting to fix immediate needs but for the long term future.

Its a ridiculous precedent to set regarding draft pick value.

The AFL should not have signed off on the trade as it only further dilutes the the draft integrity until the skewed version is back on a level playing field.
oh wait... there will be more teams added to the AFL that will also need propping.

The afl world had better get used to the idea of a stacked deck for quite some time.
Take what you can get & keep moving forward

Not really you say they traded 27 for what would be pick 10ish but most scribes had Sharp 10-15 in a really strong draft. I think it was an astute move

And as our national recruiting manager Mark McKenzie said, we are not recruiting to fix immediate needs but for the long term future.

Seemingly a different message from the club about where we are at then, given the talk about flags by 2022. Maybe they now realise we aren't a legit flag threat in the immediate future and have changed their strategy?

Seemingly a different message from the club about where we are at then, given the talk about flags by 2020. Maybe they now realise we aren't a legit flag threat in the immediate future and have changed their strategy?

The clear hole is the pressure fwd role. Pop is done and Ollie/ Nash the heir apparents. Have no doubt we would've taken Pickett at 13. The search continues. Perhaps the hardest role on the ground to fill. And the most crucial.

maybe poppys role is the hardest to fill in the afl full stop. Maybe theres only him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you go back and read any of my comments about the draft you’ll see that I’ve always said that earlier in the draft you always go for talent of filling a need. I have no problem with the selection of Day it’s just that Pickett was my personal preference. I will always trust the club over my preference because 80% they never let me down but that doesn’t mean Pickett isn’t going to be a star. Day has enormous upside with his first wall to climb being to fill out his frame by putting some size on. Hopefully the club does that naturally and doesn’t rush it but once again I trust the club to do by right by him.

Not really you say they traded 27 for what would be pick 10ish but most scribes had Sharp 10-15 in a really strong draft. I think it was an astute move

Any other club would be dragged over the coals if they did the same but not GC.
If it were Melbourne or Carlton offloading a mid first round pick for pick 27 & steak knives, we would be having a field day about how stupid the clubs would be.
I stand by my comments KS sorry mate... ridiculous from the AFL to sign off on & further skew club equalisation.

Seemingly a different message from the club about where we are at then, given the talk about flags by 2022. Maybe they now realise we aren't a legit flag threat in the immediate future and have changed their strategy?

I think we'll continue look at trades to address immediate needs when it comes to it. IMHO, drafting for the future (this draft and 2020 with Downie?) probably is to ensure we don't fall off the cliff after our next tilt rather than providing the core to contend in the next couple of years

We are looking at Partington
got this from the afl site

Delisted Hawk Darren Minchington has been training at Waverley Park in the possibility of earning a lifeline, while they've also shown interest in Magarey medallist Luke Partington .
I hope we do pick Luke up.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Lids eligible as a SSP signing as I noted that the AFL website states previously listed players can be SSP signings.

Things may have changed when Coniglio took the Gillion dollars to stay at GWS.

Is Lids eligible as a SSP signing as I noted that the AFL website states previously listed players can be SSP signings.
Does he have to have nominated for the Draft?

Is that the same as the mid-season draft (is that even a thing yet?)?

Didn’t the club say we’re striving for 2 premierships by 2022?? I back the club like others on here to get it done!! Can’t wait, even just one in that time would do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back