List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Did Mumford nominate for the draft?
No idea.

Maybe he sent in his nomination but it got 'lost', so they could just list him at the end of the Rookie Draft like Kieran Jack @ $wans?:think:

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Do you have any idea how hard it is to fill this role? And how crucial it is to our gameplan?
Having at least 3 x pressure forwards allowed us to lose the best forward in the game (Buddy) and still go on to win a couple more GFs. Then you look at how the Tigers and Eagles have both had the same (3 x pressure forwards) gone on to win GFs. Then you look at Collingwood, GWS and the Cats who lack that amount of pressure forwards and can see how important it is to get over the hump. Hopefully with us strengthening our KPP stocks this offseason you’d hope that a pressure forward or 2 is the next port of call.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think most people felt if either Kemp/Robertson available, we would pounce, but we did not. One option I proposed splitting pick 11 for later draft picks, at the time Adelaide's picks 23,28,37 looked good along with our 30,42. As it turned out bid came at 29, so we would use 30 on Finn. I am no expert but Rivers at pick 32 seems good enough a choice as Day except better developed. I probably would have gone with attempt at multiple good players like Sharp(27)/rivers(32)/maginess (bid 29)/Bianco (44)/Ralphsmiths (45) as examples. If you are not particular there were good players in the 23-45 range.

To answer your question, I think the club was particular and wanted Day badly. Most of attack starts from backline, to have a guy who can play on both sides, able to mark strongly, quick transition out of backline, catch forwards like Patton one out or our small clever forwards in critical like Sicily. It also did not want to use high enough pick on Maginess, so moved second round to next year. Its strategy is to have more picks next year. It is all like a game of chess. Everyone has a different way to achieve success. For the romantic / sentimental in us could not get better than grandfather/son and father/son selection, could not have script that better, now hope they develop nicely.
In hindsight I would have loved your concept of trading back. Not to say that I don’t like Will Day, I do ... a lot.
But Sharp looks like a top 10 pick and I wish we could have found a way to get him in the 20s after we took player X and before we took Finn. It is entirely possible we did propose a way to get Sharp but were outbid by the GCS with their future pick 11.
That said, our draft night was always about where the bid on Finn would come. The way things panned out may have changed if we had not traded out our pick 30 for a future 2nd rounder. We got Finn at pick 29 ... could it be that other clubs were nervous about a bid, to get extra time, because we passed on Mozzie last year ->never bluff a straight shooter. It seems that Finn slid because other clubs knew he was coming to the Hawks but that we would pass if they bid too early.

Cal Tomey‘s phantom draft had Finn being bid on the the 20s. Though his phantom draft is designed to figure out when players are likely to be taken and not how good he thinks they are. His thoughts on the quality of the player are expressed in his ”Power Ratings“, and in that he had Finn at 15.
... and Will Day at pick 18.
So, if Twomey is right the Hawks have gotten 2 of the best 20 18 year olds in the country and, as you say, improved their position in the 2020 draft.

However this is broken down, the Hawks have done well.

Josh Morris at pick 57... they Must have a Sicily-style plan for him... at the time I was hoping we would call out Jeka’s name.

Getting Jeka as a rookie... awesome!

As you and others have said, it is the development of talent that really matters and that is where the Hawks shine.
For mine, the Hawks have drafted players with the talent that can be honed into premiership players.

p.s. I was never interested in Robertson... for Mine he is too much like Mitchell

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not really you say they traded 27 for what would be pick 10ish but most scribes had Sharp 10-15 in a really strong draft. I think it was an astute move
Agreed... in hindsight where would Worpel go in his draft year... quality players slip. 2020’s pick 11 for Sharp was a good deal for GCS. IMO Geelong was the looser in the trade.
I would have been happy if we took Sharp at pick 13.

The thing I don’t understand is why Sharp was not taken earlier before Philip, Dow, and Georgiadis.

Time will reveal all.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any other club would be dragged over the coals if they did the same but not GC.
If it were Melbourne or Carlton offloading a mid first round pick for pick 27 & steak knives, we would be having a field day about how stupid the clubs would be.
I stand by my comments KS sorry mate... ridiculous from the AFL to sign off on & further skew club equalisation.
PhatHQ, you are entirely right, as is killerspud.
The AFL is Consistency skewing the draft and changing the rules to benefit the expansion clubs. This is not in question. My question to you PhatHQ is: how many premierships have they won? I would propose the idea that the Hawks 3 peat was helped by the introduction of these new clubs due to the talent drain actually helping us as we cherry picked players from other teams to help us win flags. The introduction of the GCS and GWS helped us.

killerspud: only time will tell be I also think Sharp Is worth a 2020 pick 11.

Last edited:

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The AFL is Consistency skewing the draft and changing the rules to benefit the expansion clubs. This is not in question. My question to you PhatHQ is: how many premierships have they won? I would propose the idea that the Hawks 3 peat was helped by the introduction of these new clubs due to the talent drain actually helping us as we cherry picked players from other teams to help us win flags. The introduction of the GCS and GWS helped us.

i dont agree, those mythical clubs Which could have challenged us also had access to recruit smith, puopolo, hill, stratton, bruest etcetc

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you have any idea how hard it is to fill this role? And how crucial it is to our gameplan?
If we needed a small forward so bad we would have picked the next best available one after Pickett was selected by Melbourne.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The foundation of those premierships we’re through the draft.
The draft should not be compromised to the extent it has to prop up a failing expansion club. 1 priority pick at the end of the first rd is reasonable.
My personal view is that every team should get two rounds to draft top end talent then concessions introduced after that.
GC could have been given multiple picks to start the 3rd & 4th rds that they could have traded to teams looking for points, been given an extra 10 players on their primary/rookie list, increased the salary cap short term to cherry pick the likes of Crouch, Elliot & Cogs & taken the soft cap completely out of the equation for the next 5 years.
The AFL can afford to prop up a club on its own in a variety of ways without stuffing up a draft process for top end talent.

Extra list numbers to stockpile & develop talent, better facilities & coaching & support staff & an injection of top end free agency players is more than enough.

Given these other allowances GC could have possibly retained Jack Martin, picked up both Cogs & Crouch, made a play for the best coach in the AFL.... yes.

(20/11 draft order)

Rowell
Weightman
Sharpe

rd 3 concessions
Bianco
Ralphsmith/Riccardi

rd 4 concessions
Cahill
Morris

That is still 3 top 20 picks & a solid late draft combination without doing a ridiculous deal with a future first that will set a president for the devaluation of draft picks.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Seems we are recruiting contested marking forwards and backs that can kick quite well.
If we are going to stop kicking to the pockets and/or to cause a spill in the forward 50 the future isnt going to need as many small forward.
Then add speed
Everything is saying keepings off will be back, but now with contested marking and zone breaking very long kicks and fast run and carry

I imagine the long bomb chaos ball will still be there for Pops Breust and Nash

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
In our recent strong period, our great mids werent blessed with speed or noted goalkickers. ( maybe they could have been goalkickers but our plan was more to use hodge and mitch on half back setting up plays. We also needed outside run from other players

maybe in this iteration, the mids can go forward more, and three small forwards not needed so much

Dec 22, 2007
Torquay
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not relevent to us, but I'm in hospital and the bloke next to me told me that a mate of his has a son that the Demons had commited to as a rookie, but have since told him it won't be happening as they will take Harley Benall.
Interesting to see if it plays out.

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Not relevent to us, but I'm in hospital and the bloke next to me told me that a mate of his has a son that the Demons had commited to as a rookie, but have since told him it won't be happening as they will take Harley Benall.
Interesting to see if it plays out.

On SM-G930U using BigFooty.com mobile app

hope everything goes well for you and the guy

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems we are recruiting contested marking forwards and backs that can kick quite well.
If we are going to stop kicking to the pockets and/or to cause a spill in the forward 50 the future isnt going to need as many small forward.
Then add speed
Everything is saying keepings off will be back, but now with contested marking and zone breaking very long kicks and fast run and carry

I imagine the long bomb chaos ball will still be there for Pops Breust and Nash
This is how I see it too. Hoping for a dry winter and more games at Marvel in the future. ;)

Out of interest how many players in the best 22 have limited marking ability?

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
i dont agree, those mythical clubs Which could have challenged us also had access to recruit smith, puopolo, hill, stratton, bruest etcetc

Agreed. I think it made it harder because all of our picks became the worst, and we weren't able to draft great young talent to replenish. We were forced to look at other avenues, and we happened to do it better than anyone else.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any other club would be dragged over the coals if they did the same but not GC.
If it were Melbourne or Carlton offloading a mid first round pick for pick 27 & steak knives, we would be having a field day about how stupid the clubs would be.
I stand by my comments KS sorry mate... ridiculous from the AFL to sign off on & further skew club equalisation.

Gold Coast can rest easy, as they have the AFL backing them up. Who’s to say next year, if they finish bottom again, that the AFL won’t grant them picks 1 and 2 again next year? Gold Coast is allowed to fail, because it gets rewarded for it.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Agreed. I think it made it harder because all of our picks became the worst, and we weren't able to draft great young talent to replenish. We were forced to look at other avenues, and we happened to do it better than anyone else.

and had we got decent compo for Buddy, Bont might be a Hawk today

Back