List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 11 should be best available. Whatever player we think can be elite at afl level, I’d rather use a later pick on someone like hilder, finlay or someone similar that will be available later in the draft and there’s not really a huge gap in talent

This one has Finn at 17. Perhaps we will dodge an early bid. So much to play out still.

Honestly wouldn't be too upset if we traded down for two later picks to try and get two players alongside Finn. For example (assuming GC get compensation) Pick 11 + Pick 29 to Brisbane for Pick 18 + Pick 20. Some really handy players with great scope could still be available. Trent Bianco & Dylan Williams are two that would immediately appeal - Bianco at HB and Williams as a classy pressure forward. Would mean we have to get picks for Finn though.

There are so many ways we could approach this draft so it'll be interesting to see what approach we take. I do hear we rate this draft though so there could be some unexpected moves.

Shhhhh hears that the club views the 2019 draft as significantly stronger than the 2020 draft.
Although final list decisions are still being formalized, the list management team would like to see the club take additional picks to the 2019 draft.

👆

Pick 11 should be best available. Whatever player we think can be elite at afl level, I’d rather use a later pick on someone like hilder, finlay or someone similar that will be available later in the draft and there’s not really a huge gap in talent

So so true. If you don’t go BPA (best player available) and reach for positional fit then it almost always ends in tears. For example when when we lucked out and had Worpel slip to us a lot of teams that could’ve had him reached for players that filled a positional need. Using the Worpel selection isn’t the best example because teams are more prone to reach for players that fill positional need later in the draft but if the scouts had of done their jobs properly there’s no way he slides that far.

Players slide in draft calculations due to having some kind of knock on their ability or wellbeing. With Worpel it was his kicking, previous years Selwood and Hempel it was bad knees.
If want a particular player, need to start a campaign around their not so good things.
Hearing that Noah Anderson is a devout Mormon and is looking to complete Bible studies and community service for a number of years post school studies, got to be a risk at the rate.

Hearing that Noah Anderson is a devout Mormon and is looking to complete Bible studies and community service for a number of years post school studies, got to be a risk at the rate.

Good luck Noah with your "studies". 🤣

8-girl--sign-flat.jpg

Regardless of who we get I'd prefer them to have some form of physical presence.
We have enough light weight jockey's on our list.
A simple glance at the current finals series will sheet home the importance of strength at the contest.
That and skills under pressure.
You are right that we have enough lightweight players ...

I remember the 2004 draft when Rough, Lewis and Buddy were drafted - Rough and Lewis were already very well developed for kids. And Buddy, he was just Buddy so nothing else really mattered..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of who we get I'd prefer them to have some form of physical presence.
We have enough light weight jockey's on our list.
A simple glance at the current finals series will sheet home the importance of strength at the contest.
That and skills under pressure.
Will Gould is your man then, 191/98 and ready to go!

Players slide in draft calculations due to having some kind of knock on their ability or wellbeing. With Worpel it was his kicking, previous years Selwood and Hempel it was bad knees.
If want a particular player, need to start a campaign around their not so good things.
Mormon Ambassador?

Don't give Gil any more ideas...

Wouldn’t imagine too far, might be at the back of the group that includes, Flanders, Serong, ash, young. I’d still take him at 4 though
so not to our pick? You'd take one of him, Serong, Robertson, Ash, Young, Flanders, Gould if they slid to our pick.

Thoughts on McAsey?

so not to our pick? You'd take one of him, Serong, Robertson, Ash, Young, Flanders, Gould if they slid to our pick.

Thoughts on McAsey?
From Knightmare:
11. Fischer McAsey
Best position:
Key defence
Height, weight: 195cm, 86kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 10-40
Plays like: Darcy Moore
August Rankings: 11
Rationale: Won Vic Metro's MVP as a key defender and is showing he can also play forward in the NAB League as required. The premier key defender in this draft.
Strengths: Intercept marking, reading of the drop of the ball, contested marking, marking on the lead, attack on ball aerially, closing speed, leap, aggressive spoiling, reliable kick, versatility to hold down key position posts at either end
Weaknesses: One-on-one strength, one-on-one marking

Sicerly stands against, and beats, forwards in 1 on 1 contests who are much taller and heavier than him.
Maybe McAsey is a 2nd tall option and Kosi the heavy weight (he seems capable and smart 1 on 1).

Shhhhhhhh

Is Abasi agreeing that we trade our way into this draft by giving away our 1st pick in 2020.
Damn I hope so and he is right... there are a lot of good players in this draft ... but more Importantly... if we have more picks (given Nash and Hanrahan are being upgraded from Rookies) we have more players that we can hope to come to our club and argue over their merits.

Lewis occupying one of the spots up forward but who is going to be the full back and centre half back in the near future? That’s the big issue right now. With Mitchell coming back, Maginness as a F/S pick, Downie next year, plus Morrison, Cousins and Jones developing in the reserves there’s more then enough midfield depth on the list.

I can’t emphasise this enough but getting a key defender in this years draft with pick 11 should be the number one priority.

Im going with this unless theres a cyril type going somewhere
An oscar allen type who was pick 23

Patton replaces Roughy
(McCasey) replaces Schoey
Finn joins the midfield fleet

And some wrighty gems, however we get them

What if we could trade Pick 11 for a 22-25 yr old CHB that is game ready from Round 1, 2020?

IMO it's better than taking a chance on a good junior that may never develop their game or have the same impact against men.

Everyone loves the idea of McAsey (from what I'm reading), but say he goes at Pick 9 - no way we should just grab the next best KPD due to circumstance, we may end up using Pick 11 on a guy that should go Pick 30.

Have a club lined up for in-draft trading? You can still do that so long as you arent cute like sydney and the eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back