List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Roughies Boys

Cancelled
Nov 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm wondering who we should pick up with this years picks, as we do have a Father-son prospect in Finn Magginess, which isn't what I want to focus on in this thread, but what should we use our first round pick if we keep it & get to bring in another first rounder...

Currently we hold: 10, 28, 45, 82, 87

Pick 10: Key defender
Pick 28 + 45: use those picks to bid on Maginness
pick 82: key forward
pick 87: Pass (save a list spot for the delisted free agency period)

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we exclude Maginness (who I believe will attract a bid between 15-20) for the purpose of available players then here are some possible suggestions that MAY be available at our first pick:

Pick 10:
  1. Fischer McAsey: The premier KPD of this draft. Plays like Aaron Naughton and I think he has the scope to go forward.
  2. Will Gould: Undersized KPD. Incredible 1v1, fantastic rebound and elite disposal. Has good leadership qualities. Will probably be a tough rebounding defender at AFL level ala Hardwick though could also play like Sicily.
  3. Deven Robertson: Tough inside accumulator with leadership qualities but suspect disposal. Plays like Tommy Mitchell - I don't think we need that type of player but have heard we rate him.
  4. Dylan Stephens: Classy outside player with elite speed, disposal and ability to cover the ground. His 2018 was incredible but his impact has faltered this year (some say he's had a back injury - haven't watched him enough). Plays like Issac Smith.
  5. Luke Jackson: Incredible ruckman - great at hitouts, great around the ground and also impacts the scoreboard. Plays like Grundy. Probably excess to needs if we keep all the rucks on our list but in 3/4 years could be one of the best rucks in the competition.
  6. Sam Flanders: Will likely go earlier than this pick due to recent form but would love him. A powerful midfielder/forward who is explosive, tough and thrives on the contested game. Plays like Petracca (I think he'll be better with proper development and time).

Any pick onwards is a raffle - there are plenty of players with key strengths and weaknesses. Some suggestions for 28 may be Cody Weightman (pressure forward), Kysiah Pickett (pressure forward), Harrison Jones (KPF), Miles Bergman (lightning wingman), Joshua Shute (wing). But there are plenty of players that could appeal.

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
we won't have 28, well have a bid on Magginess. Gee im warming to Flanders with pick 10, he's perfect for us. He will allow Wingard to be full time mid. Ditto with Dylan Williams. get one of this two and we can play chad full time as a explosive mid. I also wouldn't be disappointed with Mcasey, for long term need. We all know it will be a left field choice.

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
My fingers are crossed that either McAsey and Stephens are available at our first pick wherever it may fall. It could get to pick 12 if GCS get a priority pick and Green from GWS gets bid on which is highly likely. Worrell or De Konig could be left field selections for us if we go for height with the pick knowing that we are bringing in another mid in Finn.

Soaring Hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we exclude Maginness (who I believe will attract a bid between 15-20) for the purpose of available players then here are some possible suggestions that MAY be available at our first pick:

Pick 10:
  1. Fischer McAsey: The premier KPD of this draft. Plays like Aaron Naughton and I think he has the scope to go forward.
  2. Will Gould: Undersized KPD. Incredible 1v1, fantastic rebound and elite disposal. Has good leadership qualities. Will probably be a tough rebounding defender at AFL level ala Hardwick though could also play like Sicily.
  3. Deven Robertson: Tough inside accumulator with leadership qualities but suspect disposal. Plays like Tommy Mitchell - I don't think we need that type of player but have heard we rate him.
  4. Dylan Stephens: Classy outside player with elite speed, disposal and ability to cover the ground. His 2018 was incredible but his impact has faltered this year (some say he's had a back injury - haven't watched him enough). Plays like Issac Smith.
  5. Luke Jackson: Incredible ruckman - great at hitouts, great around the ground and also impacts the scoreboard. Plays like Grundy. Probably excess to needs if we keep all the rucks on our list but in 3/4 years could be one of the best rucks in the competition.
  6. Sam Flanders: Will likely go earlier than this pick due to recent form but would love him. A powerful midfielder/forward who is explosive, tough and thrives on the contested game. Plays like Petracca (I think he'll be better with proper development and time).

Any pick onwards is a raffle - there are plenty of players with key strengths and weaknesses. Some suggestions for 28 may be Cody Weightman (pressure forward), Kysiah Pickett (pressure forward), Harrison Jones (KPF), Miles Bergman (lightning wingman), Joshua Shute (wing). But there are plenty of players that could appeal.

Out of that list, I’m hoping for Gould (very Hurn-like), Stephens (I see more Rick Ladson than Smith) or Flanders.

Although McAsey is good, I fear he stands out because of the lack of other excellent KPD.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Not trying to be a smart bum on here but talking draft well before the trade period means that a lot of things are going to change.
Probably not much point applying numbers to players when we don't know what picks we are going to be taking to the draft.
Expect this thread to heat up once trading has been completed.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not trying to be a smart bum on here but talking draft well before the trade period means that a lot of things are going to change.
Probably not much point applying numbers to players when we don't know what picks we are going to be taking to the draft.
Expect this thread to heat up once trading has been completed.
Unfortunately for the diehard fans there ain't much else to talk about :'(

Lewis occupying one of the spots up forward but who is going to be the full back and centre half back in the near future? That’s the big issue right now. With Mitchell coming back, Maginness as a F/S pick, Downie next year, plus Morrison, Cousins and Jones developing in the reserves there’s more then enough midfield depth on the list.

I can’t emphasise this enough but getting a key defender in this years draft with pick 11 should be the number one priority.

Lewis occupying one of the spots up forward but who is going to be the full back and centre half back in the near future? That’s the big issue right now. With Mitchell coming back, Maginness as a F/S pick, Downie next year, plus Morrison, Cousins and Jones developing in the reserves there’s more then enough midfield depth on the list.

I can’t emphasise this enough but getting a key defender in this years draft with pick 11 should be the number one priority.
What if we could trade Pick 11 for a 22-25 yr old CHB that is game ready from Round 1, 2020?

IMO it's better than taking a chance on a good junior that may never develop their game or have the same impact against men.

Everyone loves the idea of McAsey (from what I'm reading), but say he goes at Pick 9 - no way we should just grab the next best KPD due to circumstance, we may end up using Pick 11 on a guy that should go Pick 30.

Roughies Boys

Cancelled
Nov 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What if we could trade Pick 11 for a 22-25 yr old CHB that is game ready from Round 1, 2020?

IMO it's better than taking a chance on a good junior that may never develop their game or have the same impact against men.

Everyone loves the idea of McAsey (from what I'm reading), but say he goes at Pick 9 - no way we should just grab the next best KPD due to circumstance, we may end up using Pick 11 on a guy that should go Pick 30.
If there was one, which probably should stick to the hypotheticals...

If McAsey does go who would we look at then?

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Isn't that why we got Koschi last year? Key defender in 196 cm, 94K. How is he going by the way?

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Some people are bullish about our prospects of picking up Gems with later picks like James worpell Pick 45 2 years ago, stratton was a late pick too Pick 46. If traded Pick 11 for say 3 picks in the range 25-45 and picked up gems that would be good whether it be small forward, wingman, key back. Puopolo was pick 66. Some could be ready to play next year as mature age, it depends on strategy of club, there are so many options.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Isn't that why we got Koschi last year? Key defender in 196 cm, 94K. How is he going by the way?
Injured most of the year and was in the rehab group most of pre season as well (from memory). Played both forward and defence at VFL. Physically able to compete but still a fair way off the required level. A full pre season will do him good but I'm really not sure which side of the ground he fits best.

Back