List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick question guys.

If a bid comes for Finn after our first pick and we need to use pick 30 & 42 on him, we will more than likely have more points (combined total of both picks) than required to match the bid. What happens to those points? Do we lose them completely? Or are they applied to our next pick or later picks to move up the draft order? Or do we have future credits for further NGA / FS bids?

Thanks in advance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
My understanding was the excess would be applied to your next pick and move up.

So in this case Pick 54 might move up to Pick 50 or something like that

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quick question guys.

If a bid comes for Finn after our first pick and we need to use pick 30 & 42 on him, we will more than likely have more points (combined total of both picks) than required to match the bid. What happens to those points? Do we lose them completely? Or are they applied to our next pick or later picks to move up the draft order? Or do we have future credits for further NGA / FS bids?

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure you get a pick back. So for example if Finn is bid on at 14 we need 1161 points (reduced to 929 via F/S discount). 30 + 42 = 1042 points which means we'd have 113 points left which is the equivalent of Pick 63. So Pick 30 is used completely and Pick 42 would move back to Pick 63 - leaving us with Picks 54/63/64.

Anyone think we're a chance for Cody Weightman, best small forward in the draft? With Puopolo cooked and Bruest about to turn 29, we desperstly need a natural small forward. I know he's projected 15-25, but I'd much rather select him at 11 instead of another inside mid.

Quick question guys.

Thanks in advance.

The last pick used in matching slides back down the draft order to the value of the remaining points after matching. So if Finn gets a bid at pick 15 (890 points after discount) then pick 30 deducts 629 points = 261, then pick 42 deducts 395 points meaning we have a surplus of 134 points, so pick 42 slides back to pick 61 and we get Finn.

I hope that makes sense.

The last pick used in matching slides back down the draft order to the value of the remaining points after matching. So if Finn gets a bid at pick 15 (890 points after discount) then pick 30 deducts 629 points = 261, then pick 42 deducts 395 points meaning we have a surplus of 134 points, so pick 42 slides back to pick 61 and we get Finn.

I hope that makes sense.
Right. I think I've got it wrong then haha.

Right. I think I've got it wrong then haha.

Haha, it’s bloody confusing and very hard to communicate over text. Basically you keep sacrificing your picks until you meet the required points value. If the last pick you sacrifice is greater than the required amount then the excess points generate a new pick later in the draft for you.

Dylan Stephens would be a fantastic addition to the list, our outside run is ageing with Smith & Hendo (Scully not that far behind). Maybe bring Stephens in this year and Downie in the following year to fill those needs.
Kemp is interesting, doubt he’ll slide that far though.
Can’t get over my infatuation with Gould, powerful unit with good marking & disposal. Good leader too.
Agree. Be stoked if this could happen

Honestly I don't think he butchers it much at all, think his ball use is definitely in the next group below Young. Of course he's gonna make mistakes but I just don't see him making more mistakes than any others really considering he is quite calm even though he does Rebound with speed.

Think it's more to the point that I wouldn't expect a club to take 2 midfielders when there is an elite ball using defender which doesn't come around too often. Plus I think he fills a need for GC more than another mid, they need elite ball use from the backline & country boys are known to have less of a go home factor than the metro boys.

I understand your logic, but I would counter that by saying that it seems like Gould will be available at their third pick - and he's an elite ball-using defender too.

Haha, it’s bloody confusing and very hard to communicate over text. Basically you keep sacrificing your picks until you meet the required points value. If the last pick you sacrifice is greater than the required amount then the excess points generate a new pick later in the draft for you.

you'd think it would be fairer if the excess boosts the next pick if one exists. but then you would have delisted a player for no reason so I see why

I hope that makes sense.
Funny - I want best outsider and best small forward in this order

Quick question guys.

Thanks in advance.

I asked that exact question yesterday, but no answer as yet.

The latter part of your message is definitely in play. There’s a particular kid we’re pretty keen on, fills a need longer term.

Yeah I'm hoping this happens and we end up with 3 kids we rate from the top 20 in this particular draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I understand it, there’s a pretty clear top 8-9, then gets a bit even to pick 30 or so, with some really good value possibly available in pick 20-35 range.

While the orthodox move is to use your pick before a f/s bid, given the premium some clubs have paid to get into first round (eg dees/north trade) we should be thinking laterally. Maybe there’s better value in pushing our 1st back (so gets used in bid on Finn) but picking up an extra pick or two in 2nd round?

We could be lucky with a player (eg kemp) sliding to our pick 11 (likely 12 if gws move up), but if not, what we pick up at 12 could be similar to what’s available at pick 20-30.

Eg: get to our pick and kemp is gone.
Live Trade pick 11 & 42 for say pick 17, 24 and 35 (yes a good deal for us). We use pick 17 when Finn gets picked at say 15, then have 24, 30 and 35.

Effectively could get us 4 top 35 players instead of just two (pick 11 and Finn (who will suck up most of pick 30 & 42).

Now is highly dependent on someone paying over the odds for pick 11 but is not out of the question. We could also keep live trading our first pick back a few spots until Finn gets bid.

We could also combine the above with swapping our future first for say a future 2nd and 2nd (which would give us 5 top 35 picks). We could then see if can trade our later picks (eg 54 onwards) into future picks to ensure have points for downie next year.

It is good to see that you think there is value in the picks 30-35. It certainly reduces our risk too to pick up 4 good players than 2 and I think most people think we need more than 2 good players to rebound strongly. What the club does is different story and what another club is willing to trade picks with us is something else too.

I was very much of the view that we should take the best available mid with pick 11. But, studying Knightmare's phantom, the bloke I now want it Will Gould.

Knightmare describes his strengths as: Aggression, imposing presence, attack on the ball, one-on-one strength, penetrating and damaging kick with 60m penetration, vision, reading of the ball in flight, intercept marking, explosive speed, strength through the hips to stand up through and absorb tackles, leadership through on field courage and presence allowing teammates to gain confidence, consistent performances on the board against SANFL league competition

Weaknesses: Endurance, unclear whether tall enough to be a key defender at AFL level

Intercept marking, strength, aggression and a long penetrating kick.
See him as a Stratton replacement with a lot more weapons.
Knightmare has him at 9, so in our ball park.

I would be very happy if we get a damaging half-back and an inside mid (Finn).

I was very much of the view that we should take the best available mid with pick 11. But, studying Knightmare's phantom, the bloke I now want it Will Gould.

Knightmare describes his strengths as: Aggression, imposing presence, attack on the ball, one-on-one strength, penetrating and damaging kick with 60m penetration, vision, reading of the ball in flight, intercept marking, explosive speed, strength through the hips to stand up through and absorb tackles, leadership through on field courage and presence allowing teammates to gain confidence, consistent performances on the board against SANFL league competition

Weaknesses: Endurance, unclear whether tall enough to be a key defender at AFL level

Can be a lot more than just a defender - potential to be the perfect utility which we had plenty of during our glory years.

I believe Gould will be a 200 game player for the club that picks him. He bussels, hassles, marks and runs. I’d love him at the Hawks.

Last edited:

He looks and sounds like a ready made player who will be able to contribute from day one. He's likened to Shannon Hurn.

I guess the main issue is that he's not KPD size and doesn't have the pace or athleticism to play on the smalls. Though that booming 60m kick sounds deadly, and will have great synergy with Sicily's kicking skills too.

Quick question guys.

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that if we use picks 30 and 42 to get Finn and we are 1 point short, then that 1 point is taken from our next pick = 54. = 220 point. We then have 219 points. If another team gets more than 219 points, through using their points for players, then they take pick 54 and we go to pick 55. If not, we hold pick 54.

I may be wrong, but this makes sense to me.

Last edited:
This form the AFLWebsite ... Callan Twomey .... sorry if this has already been done.

Pick 11: It is most likely a bid for father-son pick Finn Maginness comes after the Hawks' first pick. After addressing their need for talls during the Telstra AFL Trade Period, the Hawks could add another midfielder with their to their ranks alongside Maginness. Dylan Stephens' (pictured) hard-running, elite endurance and speed mix, plus his penetrating left-foot kick could appeal to the Hawks.
Around the mark: Brodie Kemp, Fischer McAsey, Josh Worrell

Will Gould does a few things quite well, but his deficiencies are glaring and likely to be exposed further at senior level, while his strength is less likely to confer similar advantages.

His best attributes are his kicking, aggression and initiative, but I wouldn't want him playing on a small forward 1 on 1, or even a smart medium like Gunston or Breust. They would take him to the cleaners every time.

He moves with all the sprightliness of an old man who picked up a 20 year old beauty the night before - and looks like a fatter version of a fat Luke Hodge.
His kicking does look a treat, but I wouldn't want to pick him up in the first 20-30 picks, mostly because of his body-type and poor athleticism.
He would have to work hard to reach the required level, and maybe he is the kind of kid who will - which begs the question: why isn't he in better shape now?

Pass for us.

To be honest, if the shoe was on the other foot we would all be saying exactly the same.

The mutual hate between the 2 clubs runs deep
To be honest if the shoe were on the other foot, we might say it, but Hawthorn wouldn't do it. (Not to screw over Assendon at least.) Whereas Assendon WOULD do it just to screw over Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back