List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Gould does a few things quite well, but his deficiencies are glaring and likely to be exposed further at senior level, while his strength is less likely to confer similar advantages.

His best attributes are his kicking, aggression and initiative, but I wouldn't want him playing on a small forward 1 on 1, or even a smart medium like Gunston or Breust. They would take him to the cleaners every time.

He moves with all the sprightliness of an old man who picked up a 20 year old beauty the night before - and looks like a fatter version of a fat Luke Hodge.
His kicking does look a treat, but I wouldn't want to pick him up in the first 20-30 picks, mostly because of his body-type and poor athleticism.
He would have to work hard to reach the required level, and maybe he is the kind of kid who will - which begs the question: why isn't he in better shape now?

Pass for us.

If Gould got fit... like Fyfe fit... how good would he be through the middle.

This is just fan rubbish. It's an 18 team comp, not a two team one. If Maginness is number 1 on their prioritised list when their pick comes around they will take him. Otherwise they will take the player who is. No one goes into the draft looking to screw over another team at the expense of their own outcomes. Even Dodoro. He's made enough enemies in the trading period without worsening relationships with other teams through the draft as well.

Will Gould does a few things quite well, but his deficiencies are glaring and likely to be exposed further at senior level, while his strength is less likely to confer similar advantages.

His best attributes are his kicking, aggression and initiative, but I wouldn't want him playing on a small forward 1 on 1, or even a smart medium like Gunston or Breust. They would take him to the cleaners every time.

He moves with all the sprightliness of an old man who picked up a 20 year old beauty the night before - and looks like a fatter version of a fat Luke Hodge.
His kicking does look a treat, but I wouldn't want to pick him up in the first 20-30 picks, mostly because of his body-type and poor athleticism.
He would have to work hard to reach the required level, and maybe he is the kind of kid who will - which begs the question: why isn't he in better shape now?

Pass for us.

Gould shares a lot of similarities with Aaron Francis from the 2015 draft for mine. Francis went a earlier than he should have and it didn't take long to see why.

Could still be genuinely good player, but he's not someone we should take or that we need.

This is just fan rubbish. It's an 18 team comp, not a two team one. If Maginness is number 1 on their prioritised list when their pick comes around they will take him. Otherwise they will take the player who is. No one goes into the draft looking to screw over another team at the expense of their own outcomes. Even Dodoro. He's made enough enemies in the trading period without worsening relationships with other teams through the draft as well.
Yeah I know it is. I find it more funny than anything

One thing I haven't read about him is that he has after burners in the soles of his shoes.
That's what I want, an all day jet.
He is quick. Not sure exactly how quick but seems to move very quickly but still within himself. Probably needs greater endurance at this stage but he was bottom age this year so a heap of time to develop even before he gets to afl.

Pass for us.

Chad are your comments based off watching the highlights or have you seen him play live?

Please not another in between sized player.

We have had a lot of middle sized players on our list in recent years and i do not see a need for Gould. Brilliant kick but he is undersized as a KPD and doesn't have the elite speed of a rebounding half back. Can never have too many good kicks but i am not wanting to use pick 11 on that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gould is an interesting prospect. He tested really poorly at the combine meaning he's likely slipped out of the top 10. But the thing that sets him apart are:

a) he is actually very skilled with 60 metre bullet kicks in his arsenal. Those are the types of skills Clarko would love.
b) he is tough and uncompromising. You can't teach attitude and our current side lacks that bit of campaigner.
c) despite his size and poor athletic testing he actually has a good burst of speed. People that watch him at SANFL level know he isn't slow.
d) even when slimmed down he'll likely be 191cm/90kg. That's still a considerable unit.

Fitness is an area that can be worked on - Gould has traits that many other players do not. He has 'power' that doesn't just come from being bigger. Personally I would love to select him with Pick 11 and believe he can form an exciting attacking core with Hardwick/Scrimshaw.

But there is a chance one of Stephens, Ash or Kemp (very unlikely but possible) slide. And if they do I believe we select them ahead of Gould.

2 things which should also be considered:
1) The Bays won the flag so he spent the best part of a week 'enjoying' the spoils- whereas all the other kids were no doubt eating grilled chicken and veg and running. No wonder his testing was slightly down.
2) Usually bigger kids like him stand out against U/18s as their rivals are filled out yet- he held his own in the SANFL league games against men and was never intimidated.

I agree with a few folks here, he probably isnt a 'need' for our list right now but I'd love him.

Hawks typically pick talent over need in the draft. So I'd imagine that pattern would continue with our first pick. I'm hoping we get McAsey so he can develop along side Koschitzke. Then we match a bid for Maginness - If that comes in the later parts of the first round, I believe this satisfies the "two first round picks every four years" rule, creating more opportunity for next year. Finn has speed and endurance traits that could have him used an outside mid as opposed to playing on the inside. I'm not too familiar with the rest of draft crop but if we get a ruck prospect, a couple good 1 on 1 defenders and a pressure forward, I'd be stoked.

Everyone started bagging D.Rich in the weeks before his draft (too small, no upside, already peaked etc).
This negative rubbish re Gould smells the same.
We take best available every time, and if he's there at 11, he IS the best available!

Gould makes no sense with Sicily, scrim, frost, stratts and CJ on the list.

Don’t think we’ll pick McAsey from what I’ve read - a KPD at 11 seems a stretch (and doesn’t fit in Clarkos flag window). Reckon it will be an outside skilled runner, mid/forward or kemp (or we’ll do some pick trading). Pace/athleticism likely to be a key criteria for any pick.

We may however pick up a tall with a later pick (as GW will win this argument - but not for pick 11).

Gould makes no sense with Sicily, scrim, frost, stratts and CJ on the list.

Don’t think we’ll pick McAsey from what I’ve read - a KPD at 11 seems a stretch (and doesn’t fit in Clarkos flag window). Reckon it will be an outside skilled runner, mid/forward or kemp (or we’ll do some pick trading). Pace/athleticism likely to be a key criteria for any pick.

We may however pick up a tall with a later pick (as GW will win this argument - but not for pick 11).
I disagree but I wouldn't be upset if we got Kemp either. I don't think he makes it to pick 11 though.

What is the likelihood of us reaching for Williams? Is a leader and seems to be super talented. If his injuries are fixable I can see him becoming a star.
I would say a decent chance, he is going to be the most talented player available at our pick. As long as we think we can get him right it we are the club that would gamble on him for sure.

Everyone started bagging D.Rich in the weeks before his draft (too small, no upside, already peaked etc).
This negative rubbish re Gould smells the same.
We take best available every time, and if he's there at 11, he IS the best available!
Gould is going to have to change his role at afl (rich didn’t). Can you not recognise the uncertainty that this creates about his ability to play at afl level?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back