List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the likelihood of us reaching for Williams? Is a leader and seems to be super talented. If his injuries are fixable I can see him becoming a star.

We have done a great job of getting Silk, JOM and Scully on the field with significant or worse injuries.
Now we have Patton.

It would be nice to get some new toys for once... :)

This is just fan rubbish. It's an 18 team comp, not a two team one. If Maginness is number 1 on their prioritised list when their pick comes around they will take him. Otherwise they will take the player who is. No one goes into the draft looking to screw over another team at the expense of their own outcomes. Even Dodoro. He's made enough enemies in the trading period without worsening relationships with other teams through the draft as well.
I have no doubt Dodoro would happily go out of his way simply to inconvenience us.
Clubs dont mind pandering to fan rivalries in the slightest and things like this help him keep his job.

Will he do it with a top ten pick however?
My guess is no way in hell.

Everyone started bagging D.Rich in the weeks before his draft (too small, no upside, already peaked etc).
This negative rubbish re Gould smells the same.
We take best available every time, and if he's there at 11, he IS the best available!

The criticisms of Rich were perfectly accurate.

Rich was definitely a player who had limited growth left in him considering his development at the lower level. If anything his AFL performances have proved that.

I have no doubt Dodoro would happily go out of his way simply to inconvenience us.
Clubs dont mind pandering to fan rivalries in the slightest and things like this help him keep his job.

Will he do it with a top ten pick however?
My guess is no way in hell.

Personally I don't see it in any circumstances. They have a drafting team, not just Dodoro, and every club goes to the draft with prioritised lists of best player available and best to meet specific positional needs and probably a list of potential low picks worth a punt in the later rounds plus a range of pick trading strategies to cover all likely hypotheticals. Even picks in the 3rd and 4th round can be gold as we have shown in recent years. They won't waste them or a equally valuable list spot risking getting stuck with a non optimal choice.

Naturally it follows there is no way he'd muck around with a top 10 pick. Imagine it gets to their pick. Joe Bloggs is number 1 on their list of players and Dodo says "Hey guys, lets take McGuinness instead, he's almost as good as Bloggs even if Hawks don't match". Even he's not that thick.

The criticisms of Rich were perfectly accurate.

Rich was definitely a player who had limited growth left in him considering his development at the lower level. If anything his AFL performances have proved that.

We'd do very well to get a Daniel Rich quality player at pick 11 tho.

History suggests there's about a 40percent chance U don't play 50 games and about only 1 in 5 of getting a 200 gamer.

Recruiters get too fancy looking for upside and picking a star sometimes while ignoring good footballers.

Personally I don't see it in any circumstances. They have a drafting team, not just Dodoro, and every club goes to the draft with prioritised lists of best player available and best to meet specific positional needs and probably a list of potential low picks worth a punt in the later rounds plus a range of pick trading strategies to cover all likely hypotheticals. Even picks in the 3rd and 4th round can be gold as we have shown in recent years. They won't waste them or a equally valuable list spot risking getting stuck with a non optimal choice.

Naturally it follows there is no way he'd muck around with a top 10 pick. Imagine it gets to their pick. Joe Bloggs is number 1 on their list of players and Dodo says "Hey guys, lets take McGuinness instead, he's almost as good as Bloggs even if Hawks don't match". Even he's not that thick.
I think for a third round he would.
We are talking about a bloke who knocked back two round one pick plus more to keep a the broken wantaway Danahir kid for another year.

I think for a third round he would.
We are talking about a bloke who knocked back two round one pick plus more to keep a the broken wantaway Danahir kid for another year.
Why would he do it particularly to Hawthorn and not to any other team?

This hysteria over Dodoro is embarrassing...

Why would he do it particularly to Hawthorn and not to any other team?

This hysteria over Dodoro is embarrassing...

The hysteria is embarrassing but given Essendon's list needs, they would have been a chance to bid on Maginness had they secured Pick 9. Same goes for Sydney.

The hysteria is embarrassing but given Essendon's list needs, they would have been a chance to bid on Maginness had they secured Pick 9. Same goes for Sydney.
Exactly.

Like with Mosquito, if a player fits another team's need more than ours, they will value that player higher, and bid accordingly.

The idea that any club would risk taking a player they don't really want purely to slightly inconvenience another club is primary school stuff.

Good guy Knightmare letting us pick Stephens + making a bid for Maginness come at 19. Would be the perfect draft haul - a skilled outside runner with good disposal and a tough inside mid who is capable of playing outside. We've already addressed the need for key position players although our defensive depth is lacking.

That would leave us with Picks 51 (down from 42 to match a Finn bid at 19), Pick 54 & Pick 63. We could either a) look to upgrade those picks or b) just use them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting phantom draft. I really struggle to see how Jackson is rated so high - at 197cm he’s too short to be an a-grade afl ruckman. Clubs have been burnt a lot selecting rucks in the first round so just don’t see it (from a macro view, don’t have any specific insights in player).

If GWS manages to get hands on Melbourne’s pick (so they get a top player and green), Jackson slides, then potentially Stephens and McAsey (and rest of knightmares top 10) may be gone by our pick.

If this happens is very unclear who we would pick as seems a bit of a drop off in talent. Gould, Jackson, Robertson don’t seem to full a need and Weightman seems a stretch.

Interesting phantom draft. I really struggle to see how Jackson is rated so high - at 197cm he’s too short to be an a-grade afl ruckman. Clubs have been burnt a lot selecting rucks in the first round so just don’t see it (from a macro view, don’t have any specific insights in player).

If GWS manages to get hands on Melbourne’s pick (so they get a top player and green), Jackson slides, then potentially Stephens and McAsey (and rest of knightmares top 10) may be gone by our pick.

If this happens is very unclear who we would pick as seems a bit of a drop off in talent. Gould, Jackson, Robertson don’t seem to full a need and Weightman seems a stretch.

There are murmurings GWS are really keen on taking Jackson early.

It would be a reach for Jackson at 3 were Melbourne trade with gws and drop down to 6. Top 10 seems to be a reach! You would think Sydney will bid on Greene at 5 so it’s hard to see gws Landing him early.

It's a reach but GWS desperately need a ruck (Jacobs & Mumford are both cooked and they delisted Simpson) and if they trade up would already be guaranteed to get one of the best pure midfielders in this draft in Greene. I've also heard that some recruiters rate Jackson very very highly and he could go earlier than expected. If GWS recruit for position with Pick 3 - taking into consideration they can match a Greene bid with later picks - Jackson is most likely the player they take.

That being said I hope a deal doesn't get done. GWS really want to have their cake and eat it too.

It's a reach but GWS desperately need a ruck (Jacobs & Mumford are both cooked and they delisted Simpson) and if they trade up would already be guaranteed to get one of the best pure midfielders in this draft in Greene. I've also heard that some recruiters rate Jackson very very highly and he could go earlier than expected. If GWS recruit for position with Pick 3 - taking into consideration they can match a Greene bid with later picks - Jackson is most likely the player they take.

That being said I hope a deal doesn't get done. GWS really want to have their cake and eat it too.

They were saying on the radio that GWS might trade their future first and 6 for 3 essentially giving them 3 and 4.

Jackson will have to be a fwd/ruck, there’s no other way.. if he can sharpen his forward craft then he’s gonna be one hell of a player considering he already has his ruck work down pat.

Well, I'm sold. It must be a pretty strong draft if there's 10 blokes ahead of this guy. Pace to burn and a beautiful kick.
Also has the ability to win the hard ball when needed as well. Super well rounded and is the perfect fit for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back