List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting phantom draft. I really struggle to see how Jackson is rated so high - at 197cm he’s too short to be an a-grade afl ruckman. Clubs have been burnt a lot selecting rucks in the first round so just don’t see it (from a macro view, don’t have any specific insights in player).

If GWS manages to get hands on Melbourne’s pick (so they get a top player and green), Jackson slides, then potentially Stephens and McAsey (and rest of knightmares top 10) may be gone by our pick.

If this happens is very unclear who we would pick as seems a bit of a drop off in talent. Gould, Jackson, Robertson don’t seem to full a need and Weightman seems a stretch.
Just a heads up Jackson measured at 199cm at the combine.

For anyone interested

Going to be an absolute gun

Kind of hoping Brodie Kemp slips down to 11 because of his injury but I very much doubt have a feeling we will go for McAsey if available

Yep agreed. He moves really well and bloody quick. Also Dylan Stephens bounces with right hand while his left is his preferred foot

Last edited:
For anyone interested

Going to be an absolute gun

Ugh, I can see myself in the crowd when he kicked that goal to help sink Sturt in the elimination final 😥

Why would he do it particularly to Hawthorn and not to any other team?

This hysteria over Dodoro is embarrassing...
Trade period is a soap opera and Dodoro has set himself up as the villian.
Why Hawthorn you ask?
Clubs love stoking the fires of rivalries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing to think we haven't used a top 10 pick since the 2006 draft, we had one in 2009 that resulted in Burgoyne and would have had no 7 in 2017 but traded it for Jaeger the season prior.

Jackson will have to be a fwd/ruck, there’s no other way.. if he can sharpen his forward craft then he’s gonna be one hell of a player considering he already has his ruck work down pat.
Just a lot of underrating of ruckmen on here. Yes he looks to be a hybrid type but even though I rate rucks at their best I do struggle to see them as early 1st round picks. In saying that I would have taken Max Bailey everyday of the week in the 1st round, same for Kreuzer and NicNat but these guys were special talents.

Just a lot of underrating of ruckmen on here. Yes he looks to be a hybrid type but even though I rate rucks at their best I do struggle to see them as early 1st round picks. In saying that I would have taken Max Bailey everyday of the week in the 1st round, same for Kreuzer and NicNat but these guys were special talents.
Recruiters see him as a player that can change perception his ability to win contested ball at center bounce has made clubs stand up and take note if hes at 8 Melbourne take him

Hope this guy slides to us

If not im happy to take either kemp,Stephens or Gould

Respect your opinion but I do not want Ash one bit, I’d be quite disappointed if he was our first pick. He’s like Sam Frost except without the size, strength and defensive 1-on-1 capability... so virtually just a small chaotic mess. He just gets the ball and runs as fast as he can which might look exciting but at AFL level he will be exposed hard and would not fit into a well structured defence like Hawthorn’s. He butchers the ball a lot, as shown even in his highlights because he just runs himself into trouble constantly. Basically, I see his only strength as his weakness which is not a good sign. Happy to be wrong on this though haha.

Brodie Kemp said:
“Being a Hawthorn supporter, I'm always looking at what moves the Hawks are making,” he said.

“But other than that, I only really take notice of the big moves.
With all the different factors in play now like live trading anything can happen.

For those interested PMBangers has a phantom draft with all the selections completed. He currently has:

Pick 11: Fischer McAsey (Stephens was taken at 4 - Flanders still available. I would personally switch those two around)
Pick 14: Finn Maginness (pushes Pick 30 back to Pick 66)
Pick 55: Ryan Byrnes (explosive pure inside mid with great disposal but limited flexibility. Ranked fairly highly by Knightmare on his draft forums so a good slider)
Pick 63: Ned Cahill (small pressure forward who can push into the midfield)
Pick 66: Lachlan Potter (linebreaking halfback/wingman with explosive speed but dubious consistency)

I personally really like this draft haul and think that every player has something to add. If Stephens or Flanders aren't available at 11 I would rate it A+ based on what was available. If they are I would probably take one of them instead of McAsey. I also think the chances of us taking 5 players at the draft is pretty low - I would have thought four maximum unless we have no intention of signing a DFA.

Respect your opinion but I do not want Ash one bit, I’d be quite disappointed if he was our first pick. He’s like Sam Frost except without the size, strength and defensive 1-on-1 capability... so virtually just a small chaotic mess. He just gets the ball and runs as fast as he can which might look exciting but at AFL level he will be exposed hard and would not fit into a well structured defence like Hawthorn’s. He butchers the ball a lot, as shown even in his highlights because he just runs himself into trouble constantly. Basically, I see his only strength as his weakness which is not a good sign. Happy to be wrong on this though haha.
Great call, as I watched this I witnessed a player trying very hard to be noticed and burning team structures and teammates in the process. Very immature lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back