List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno, I'd almost argue our best midfield on paper at the moment is the equal of our flag winning midfields. We were strong all over the ground in those years, particularly up forward and back but never really thought our midfield was a particularly strong point.

You do make a fair point in that it absolutely lack depth. When injuries hit us hard this year we were found wanting, big time.

Reckon we're one or two short here but gee we're not far off.

Still salivating at the thought of Mitchell, Omeara, Wingard, Worpel occupying the centre square for season 20'.
Sam Mitchell, Hill, prime Isaac, Jordan Lewis, younger Burgoyne, Hodge, Shiels, Sewell is a lot better than our current crop at this point in time in both a depth & ability sense.

I think though you're right in that we only need 1 more gun mid & I think we will be equal to or better than that lineup, Coniglio would have been the one to do it but here's hoping one of the young fellas can step up again, even if Jaegar moves into A class that would go a long way.

I thought you had to have as many list spots as you have picks, so how would that work with swapping 10 for 15 and 20 as suggested Freo do in that article ?

I dunno, I'd almost argue our best midfield on paper at the moment is the equal of our flag winning midfields. We were strong all over the ground in those years, particularly up forward and back but never really thought our midfield was a particularly strong point.

You do make a fair point in that it absolutely lack depth. When injuries hit us hard this year we were found wanting, big time.

Reckon we're one or two short here but gee we're not far off.

Still salivating at the thought of Mitchell, Omeara, Wingard, Worpel occupying the centre square for season 20'.

Bang on.

Really hoping we take Deven Robertson, Brodie Kemp or Dylan Stephens with pick 11.

Stephens is my favourite of the 3, but would be ECSTATIC with any of them.

Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Wingard, Shiels, Smith, Henderson, Scully with two first round midfielders in Stephens & Maginness would be huge.

Bang on.

Really hoping we take Deven Robertson, Brodie Kemp or Dylan Stephens with pick 11.

Stephens is my favourite of the 3, but would be ECSTATIC with any of them.

Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Wingard, Shiels, Smith, Henderson, Scully with two first round midfielders in Stephens & Maginness would be huge.
100% agree

The modern game is won through the midfield and if you have a dominant midfield you will be in most games.

If Finn is bid on at 19, that means our picks 30+42 slide down to 51.

I'm hoping we then do a sneaky and trade out our future 1st for a future 2nd and a 2nd rounder this year.

Gold Coast for instance have pick 20 this year, and Brisbane's round 2 next year (32-36).

Love this idea but I do think GC would want slightly more. If Finn is still available at 20 (unlikely but not impossible) something like 2020 First + Pick 54 to Gold Coast for Pick 20 + Brisbane 2020 Second might work.

Pick 11: Kemp/McAsey
Pick 20: Williams/Bianco
Pick 30: Maginness
Pick 51 (formerly pick 42): Key defender/midfielder
Pick 63: Wing/Small forward

Would be an incredible draft haul and complement our trading period nicely.

Love this idea but I do think GC would want slightly more. If Finn is still available at 20 (unlikely but not impossible) something like 2020 First + Pick 54 to Gold Coast for Pick 20 + Brisbane 2020 Second might work.

Christ. I'm up and about already.

We have very little key position depth. Who is going to be the 2nd key defender to play alongside Koschitzke? Frost has been recruited as more of a short term option and not really a long term solution.

I'm not disagreeing we need to pick up a KPD for depth, I just wouldn't pick one up using our first pick. We are a system based backline, we get people who fill needs and I believe we can fill that need at a cheaper price. If you are really concerned about our backline the best way we can help it is have the best possible midfield we can to win the contested ball and not allow easy forward 50 entry for the opposition.

Wowee I would lose my s**t if this happened

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Balmer on fox footy live chat thinks Miles Bergman and Cody Weightman are our targets unless a higher ranked player slips. He also believes we have no interest in Fisher McAsey and Finn no chance to be bid on before our first pick.

Matt Balmer on fox footy live chat thinks Miles Bergman and Cody Weightman are our targets unless a higher ranked player slips. He also believes we have no interest in Fisher McAsey and Finn no chance to be bid on before our first pick.

Guess I don't know too much about them but a quick read on a couple of sites has me a little underwhelmed. Bergman maybe ok but the fact it says he doesn't win a lot of ball bothers me. Cody Weightman seems to be rated a lot later than pick 11, god I hope this isn't another Lovell situation.

I would be so incredibly disappointed if we took weightman with our first pick.

I would be so incredibly disappointed if we took weightman with our first pick.

Bergman has been very inconsistent as a forw for Sandy, he has some x-factor ect but his best form came as a winger for Vic Metro at the champs, his late season form for Sandy was good as well as a wing/forw, but even then there are better options imo, as for Weightman, he has played really well as a hff for Dandenong and showed good goal sense as a high flying forw pocket for Vic Country, i personally wouldnt select them in the top 15 as i think there are better options imo.

Last edited:
I'm reading through the chat now. Balmer mentioned Kemp, Stephens, Bergman and Weightman as options at 11. I'm only really interested in the first two out of those four tbh. Interesting that we're not keen on McAsey according to Balmer.

Hawks have a history of picking up small forwards later in the draft (with exceptions like Cyril) ala Bruest, Puopolo, etc. so I'd be very surprised if they went Weightman. Bergman maybe because he can kick the ball 60m plus, but he doesn't find it enough for mine.

I'm reading through the chat now. Balmer mentioned Kemp, Stephens, Bergman and Weightman as options at 11. I'm only really interested in the first two out of those four tbh. Interesting that we're not keen on McAsey according to Balmer.

Hawks have a history of picking up small forwards later in the draft (with exceptions like Cyril) ala Bruest, Puopolo, etc. so I'd be very surprised if they went Weightman. Bergman maybe because he can kick the ball 60m plus, but he doesn't find it enough for mine.
I think in regards to McAsey it comes down to not just how we rate him but also how we rate Kozi. From the outside he is an unproven key defender that may or may not make it but if the club feels he is the answer in the coming seasons it totally make sense to look at other options.

Stephens i was super keen on but it is sounding more and more likely that he is gone by our first pick.

Kemp a week or two ago i also thought would be gone but i have some hope now that he can slide to us. I was reading an article on Kemp this morning about how he feels the injury can help him long term and a full year in the gym and working on skills can help him in the long term and i tend to agree. No pressure in his first season and 18 months of being able to bulk up in the gym and work on his skills before looking to play at AFL level.

I feel if we take Hartley as a DFA, may mean McAsey might be out of the picture for us.

You’re right in the sense that at their best the current group is talented, the s**t thing is they are very inconsistent.. The group we had in the premiership years gave the same effort and performance week in week out, Sammy would get 30, Lewis 25-30, Hodge 25-30, Hilly 25 etc. This current group is a flip of the coin, Jags floats in and out of games week to week, Worps is now getting that consistent effort but the next tier of Howe,Shiels (ball winning), Hendo etc are up and down with their impact.

You are spot on though, if Chad progresses to a mid first and fwd second and Titch releases Jags then we may have some answers. We also don’t know what Finn brings to the table and possible either Robertson/Kemp or Stephens.
A. Chad left Port to be a forward so forget that dream.
B. Titch plays for Richmond stop calling a Brownlow medallist after someone else

Remove this Banner Ad

Back