List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A. Chad left Port to be a forward so forget that dream.
B. Titch plays for Richmond stop calling a Brownlow medallist after someone else

A. Graham Wright said that Chad would likely be played as a midfielder. He left Port because they didn't value him. While he was originally recruited to play forward plans change and if the last 8 rounds of 2019 were any indication he'll be a midfielder
B. Tommy has been called 'Titch' or 'TMitch' since he arrived - I don't see what this has to do with Edwards lol. He also had the nickname before arriving at the Hawks

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We don’t often use a pick so High so GW, please don’t waste it on a Hf or a hb !!!! It’s not the time for getting all “ adventurous “ with our picks right now.
Go for the jugular!! Inside mid with Alpha traits will do thanks!

Will Gould has Alpha traits. Predicted to go between 10-20.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
A. Chad left Port to be a forward so forget that dream.
B. Titch plays for Richmond stop calling a Brownlow medallist after someone else

I'm sure Chad understands that it's a team game and him in the midfield looks like it'll be more beneficial to the Hawthorn football club.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I for one would be a little underwhelmed with taking Robertson. Fingers crossed Stephens or Kemp slide 🤞
I wouldn’t under value Robertson. I’m no draft guru at all but from what I have viewed of this guy I would have an expectation of a Jordan Lewis type future. I’d be all over that.
I think Stephens is exactly the type we need with his pace & skills & Kemp could be anything but don’t think he will slide.

I think if we can get Stephens & Maginness inside the top 20 we should be looking at a possible future first trade with Brisbane, North or GC to get two picks between 20-30 & grab Dylan Williams & someone like De Koning, Elijah Taylor or Cooper Stephens; knowing we have a top 10 academy bid next year in Connor Downie.

A must have later pick is Brock Smith, I’m not sure what it is but I want this kid on the list & I’d be trying to get Ned Cahill if he was available.

It’s looking like a bit of a gold mine in the second round with guys coming back from injury or testing pretty well.

#hitthedraft ;)

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn’t under value Robertson. I’m no draft guru at all but from what I have viewed of this guy I would have an expectation of a Jordan Lewis type future. I’d be all over that.
I think Stephens is exactly the type we need with his pace & skills & Kemp could be anything but don’t think he will slide.

I think if we can get Stephens & Maginness inside the top 20 we should be looking at a possible future first trade with Brisbane, North or GC to get two picks between 20-30 & grab Dylan Williams & someone like De Koning, Elijah Taylor or Cooper Stephens; knowing we have a top 10 academy bid next year in Connor Downie.

A must have later pick is Brock Smith, I’m not sure what it is but I want this kid on the list & I’d be trying to get Ned Cahill if he was available.

It’s looking like a bit of a gold mine in the second round with guys coming back from injury or testing pretty well.

#hitthedraft ;)

Phat, we will be doing everything we can to make sure we get Harrison Jones, long term key position talent... 196cm, a frame that will fill out and has some great hands when he gets a run and jump at it. Think Mitch Lewis coming into the draft, he will take a while but with a good set of young key position players at the club we don't need to rush him, take my word for it he is a priority it's just that he falls into the awkward spot of going anywhere between 25-40.

On Robertson, the guy oozes leadership and could really compliment Worpel and Titch long term but I feel that with Finn coming to the club they may see him as that inside mid to ease the workload and therefore look for some outside run eg Stephens to shore up the fringes. Everything I have heard suggests it's Kemp-Stephens-Jackson but I seriously wouldn't be surprised if we pulled something out of our bums and take Bergman to help with our small forward issues (underwhelming I know).

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Phat, we will be doing everything we can to make sure we get Harrison Jones, long term key position talent... 196cm, a frame that will fill out and has some great hands when he gets a run and jump at it. Think Mitch Lewis coming into the draft, he will take a while but with a good set of young key position players at the club we don't need to rush him, take my word for it he is a priority it's just that he falls into the awkward spot of going anywhere between 25-40.

On Robertson, the guy oozes leadership and could really compliment Worpel and Titch long term but I feel that with Finn coming to the club they may see him as that inside mid to ease the workload and therefore look for some outside run eg Stephens to shore up the fringes. Everything I have heard suggests it's Kemp-Stephens-Jackson but I seriously wouldn't be surprised if we pulled something out of our bums and take Bergman to help with our small forward issues (underwhelming I know).

If it’s Jones & not DeKoning, I’d be fine with that.
We do need a young KPP in this draft!

Luke Jackson, I suppose, is the prototypical forward/Ruck that we can secure long term. Having retained all of our forwards the selection doesn’t make sense this year unless the club is expecting that McEvoy is to be close to the end & Jackson is to tandem Cegs in 2021 onward.

On Finn, I completely agree but you know yourself that we should probably be doubling down in the inside position because we need class to develop quickly to compliment what we already have. Shiels can be moved , Howe is not quite there, Worpell could easily be 2 & Jags as no.2 should have another level but will he reach it?

Bergman... really. Small forward is sort of an issue but I honestly think there are some later picks that can cover that position of need or go for a mid size forward with speed & decent tackle numbers like Taylor or Cahill.

There is a bunch of talent this year that fits us perfectly. I honestly hope we go all in

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If it’s Jones & not DeKoning, I’d be fine with that.
We do need a young KPP in this draft!

Luke Jackson, I suppose, is the prototypical forward/Ruck that we can secure long term. Having retained all of our forwards the selection doesn’t make sense this year unless the club is expecting that McEvoy is to be close to the end & Jackson is to tandem Cegs in 2021 onward.

On Finn, I completely agree but you know yourself that we should probably be doubling down in the inside position because we need class to develop quickly to compliment what we already have. Shiels can be moved , Howe is not quite there, Worpell could easily be 2 & Jags as no.2 should have another level but will he reach it?

Bergman... really. Small forward is sort of an issue but I honestly think there are some later picks that can cover that position of need or go for a mid size forward with speed & decent tackle numbers like Taylor or Cahill.

There is a bunch of talent this year that fits us perfectly. I honestly hope we go all in

Jackson makes sense to future proof the way Clarko likes his teams, he loves rucks/fwds and Jackson fits that mould perfectly, when you think that BB has 2-3 years left and Cegs 4-5 years and we really have nothing coming through then Jackson can be developed soundly to take up one of those spots over the next 2 seasons.

Bergman is an interesting one, he is 6ft2 but is a high pressure forward who is excellent on the ground but can take a grab as well, he doesn't get much of the footy which is a concern.

In a perfect world...

1. Kemp
2. Finn
3. Jones

The later picks we can fill needs.

A couple of really interesting posts about small forwards in this draft from Draft Potential and Knightmare that I think people may find interesting.

KM - I am loving that Luke Jackson name keeps getting pushed higher as I am unabashed fan. Also I think Liam Henry is now getting plaudits he deserves.

Have noticed with interest over last few days with Henry and Pickett invited to Draft that small forwards seem a big attraction and talking point this year. I just think though a one dimensional small forward only is not a high pick option – the smalls at AFL level that are most in demand are the mid/forwards who can do midfield shifts as well as play forward, kick goals and tackle and apply pressure – think Michael Walters, Tom Papley, Jade Gresham etc.

Have gone back and looked at Nationals stats for this player in this pool and I will say again 2 standout head and shoulders above the rest – Liam Henry & Jack Mahony – see below for stats of the 6 rated small forwards in this Draft. Looking through vision both of these only had limited midfield time throughout Carnival so their overall disposal numbers are elite when you compare to some of the highly rated full time mids in this draft such as Kemp, Maginness, Rantall and Mead.

View attachment 776246

Freo will get a ripper with Henry and will not hesitate to match.

Of these players Mahony is the best inside mid, the best crumbing forward and applies great pressure without the ball – and he is the only one with form over last 2 years Nationals.

Weightman is the most athletic and exciting but is a small marking forward only. Does not crumb and does not apply pressure – I don’t get how we are talking first round.

Pickett is a highlight reel – but his impact is very inconsistent. I have watched him a number of times this year first hand and he goes in and out of games a lot. His size is an obvious concern as well. Can only think the draft invite relates to Port wanting him at pick 18 for romantic reasons.

Cahill I think is a very good option later in draft. Even though Stingrays gave him midfield time late in season and his numbers were ok – I don’t think he can have midfield impact like Henry and Mahony – but I do like him around goals as creative crumbing player – reminds me a lot of Dan Butler.

Rosas has signed with Suns as prelisted NT Academy.

Am now starting to look back over outside mids – as we are all sick of inside mid analysis over same names….
A good post and a lot of opinions I agree with as it happens.

Henry I like. Anyone who doesn't have him top-15 isn't paying attention and Jackson seems to have solidified his spot as a top-10 pick.

Mahony I've liked all season and last year also. My main query is how much improvement he has left, but he's of all those forwards the most polished and advanced, even more so than Henry, though I see Henry far surpassing him with time in the system.

Weightman I agree isn't someone worth selecting first round. I find his pressure ok, stats don't look great, but he can pressure reasonably. Agree though that he isn't one who has proven he can get up the field or crumb though.

Pickett I find influential when he gets it or gets near it but ultimately he doesn't find enough of it often enough which is why I can't credit him as being worth an early pick. For a small, if not finding enough of the footy at this age and stage it's hard to see how that changes at AFL level. As good as his pressure and use when he has it.

Cahill can go through the midfield some (probably not at AFL level though realistically) and is a better user than Butler. He can crumb and has tricks and while quick isn't as quick or as good of a pressure forward as Butler.

Rosas I like on talent. He's one who would have gone mid-draft had he been available for selection.

It's a good year to stock up on small and medium forwards. There are so many good ones! And you haven't even listed half of those I'd consider draftable.

hfc70

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t want to inflame things but I just have to say it.

The keyboard warrior comments here last week about Ryan Schoenmakers were disgusting, juvenile and purile.
Any wonder social media has regressed society.
In a perfect world...

1. Kemp
2. Finn
3. Jones
Wrong.
In a perfect world...
1.Rowell
2.Anderson
3.Green

that’s what I’d call perfect

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You dont take small fwds in the first unless they are freaks. Bergmen & Weightman sound like red herrings

Agree, I wouldn’t touch Weightman and Bergman really needs to show he can win the footy and go into the midfield too.. interesting to see where Pickett goes, would fit the mould for that small forward who is freakish around goals and applies great pressure.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree, I wouldn’t touch Weightman and Bergman really needs to show he can win the footy and go into the midfield too.. interesting to see where Pickett goes, would fit the mould for that small forward who is freakish around goals and applies great pressure.
Don’t be surprised if we take him at 11 pickett that is.

Ned CAHILL
11/01/2001 | 179cm/78kg | Small Forward DANDENONG STINGRAYS/VIC COUNTRY
The zippy small forward has enjoyed a strong season for the Stingrays and showing off some of his talent at the Under-18 Championships. He is ever-dangerous inside 50 and gets to the right positions more often than not with a keen goal sense. Cahill has spent some timein the midfield, but his most damaging position is forward, with his consistency an area to build on but has good scope for the future.
STRENGTHS
› Goal sense
› Footy IQ
› Work rate
› Defensive pressure› X-factor
IMPROVEMENTS
› Midfield craft
› Four-quarter consistency
DRAFT RANGE 30-60

Back