List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh HONEY

17/10/2001 | 185cm/82kg | Midfielder/Forward WESTERN JETS/VIC METRO
A real talent at his best, Honey was a shining light for the Western Jets in season 2019. He wins the ball inside or out and can dash from thestoppages, weaving around opponents to find space where few can. He has the capability of going forward and kicking goals, with a touch ofX-factor in the way he plays. Honey is still trying to find his consistency and add more of a tank to help him, but he has some eye-catching traits.
STRENGTHS
› Defensive work
› Scoreboard impact› Athleticism
› Clean hands
› Hurt factor
IMPROVEMENTS
› Consistency
› Accumulation
DRAFT RANGE 40-70

I asked Davo about small forwards for us that may be available at our selections and here is his reply.

theres 4 small forwards who will likely go late in the draft imo.

Ned Cahill - Dandenong 179cm 78kg
had a great 2018 finals series in which Dandenong won the premiership, was a solid contributor for VC although Weightman outshone him there for VC, 12 games for 17 goals this season and is a player that loves to set up team mates for a goal as well as kicking goals himself, spent a bit of time in midfield this season also and had decent combine results, kicked 6 goals in 4 games for VC at the champs

Josh D'Intinosante - Northern Knights 177cm 78kg
won the b&f at Northern as an underager and runner up in the b&f this season, isnt an athlete, but just a blue collar footballer that gets the job done, kicked 32 goals in 16 games for Northern, didnt get an opportunity for VM in the champs, a contested player who can make things happen in the forward line through hard work and sheer force of will

Josh Gore - Gold Coast Academy 177cm 75kg
active small forward who takes advantage of opportunities kicking goals from all angles and all situations, was good for GCS A in their nableague campaign where they ended up champions of the northern academies kicking 10 goals in their 5 games, then got a call up to the Allies helping them be more competitive kicking 5 goals in 3 games and also played in the neafl for 13 goals in 11 games

Tyrone Thorne - Peel 169cm 57kg
very small forw who is a talented young aboriginal forw, good speed and athleticism and can kick a bag of goals, kicked 5 goals in 3 games for WA in the champs, kicked 16 goals in 8 games at Colts level and debuted in the WAFL kicking a goal in 2 games.

all 4 have pros and cons, all 4 are worthy of a late pick or rookie spot, Cahill has been on my radar for awhile after his 2018 finals performances though and i like his team orientated football a bit more.

I know. This kid is shooting up with a bullet.

I am no fan of taking small forwards with such early picks, it’s so risky but if the club sees fit then why not.. still think it’s a fair ways away from happening, there’s many good players that will be available.

Ned CAHILL
11/01/2001 | 179cm/78kg | Small Forward DANDENONG STINGRAYS/VIC COUNTRY
The zippy small forward has enjoyed a strong season for the Stingrays and showing off some of his talent at the Under-18 Championships. He is ever-dangerous inside 50 and gets to the right positions more often than not with a keen goal sense. Cahill has spent some timein the midfield, but his most damaging position is forward, with his consistency an area to build on but has good scope for the future.
STRENGTHS

› Goal sense
› Footy IQ
› Work rate
› Defensive pressure› X-factor
IMPROVEMENTS
› Midfield craft
› Four-quarter consistency
DRAFT RANGE 30-60

Watched him against Calder in the finals, smart player and looks worthy of an opportunity.

I am no fan of taking small forwards with such early picks, it’s so risky but if the club sees fit then why not.. still think it’s a fair ways away from happening, there’s many good players that will be available.
I'm not saying we're gonna pick him, but Tiges were ridiculed at the time for taking D Rioli so high. Dimma didn't care, just wanted the kid. 2 flags later, they ain't laughing anymore.

I'm not saying we're gonna pick him, but Tiges were ridiculed at the time for taking D Rioli so high. Dimma didn't care, just wanted the kid. 2 flags later, they ain't laughing anymore.

Daniel would fix everything for us in terms of small forward issues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A majority of the best small forwards are found late in the draft or rookies. I’d be disappointed if we used our first round pick on a small forward. Daniel rioli is a decent player but by no means is he a gun, he’s currently tracking a similar path to puopolo but with less forward pressure. Use our first pick on best available, use our later picks to fill positional needs

Why not? Because last time GW tried to be smarter than he actually was with an early pick, he completely ****ed if up and pick Lovell. These top end talent are being talked about for a reason.

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So having a little play around with us having four picks in the draft (9 delistings/trades/retirements, 3 trades/DFA, 2 rookie elevations), and assuming we can get Stephens/Kemp at 11 and we match Finn at around pick 17 (Geelong just lost Kelly, a quality midfielder would be on the cards plausible bid). So pick 17 (1025 points), we use pick 30 (629 points) and pick 42 (395 points) to match (1025*0.8=820). This leaves us with an excess of 206 points which should give us pick 56. At this point do we just use our pick 54 and 56 as our last two draft picks or if we can get GC to trade our 2020 first Round for their Pick 20 and BL 2020 second round and still hold onto our picks 54 and 56. Do you think we should try and take advantage of WC having their second pick at 91 and see if they'll trade pick 46 and a future fourth round for pick 54, 56 and 63? If we get pick 20 off GC we only need to use one more pick so being able to upgrade our last pick, pick up something for nothing for next year and WC get a shot at saving their draft seems like a win for all.

Last edited:
Still a long way to go to suggest we won that trade, it’s 50/50 at this stage.

Not possible looking out our list that a HBFer, even one that could turn in to an AA, is more valuable to OUR needs than a mercurial match-winning mid and forward threat.
In 100 out of 100 times that trade is a win for our needs.
Could be for Port it's the opposite and he's exactly what they need for their list to move forward and get better, but for us cannot see how Chad in / Burto out isn't a clear no brainer...???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back