List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So having a little play around with us having four picks in the draft (9 delistings/trades/retirements, 3 trades/DFA, 2 rookie elevations), and assuming we can get Stephens/Kemp at 11 and we match Finn at around pick 17 (Geelong just lost Kelly, a quality midfielder would be on the cards plausible bid). So pick 17 (1025 points), we use pick 30 (629 points) and pick 42 (395 points) to match (1025*0.8=820). This leaves us with an excess of 206 points which should give us pick 56. At this point do we just use our pick 54 and 56 as our last two draft picks or if we can get GC to trade our 2020 first Round for their Pick 20 and BL 2020 second round and still hold onto our picks 54 and 56. Do you think we should try and take advantage of WC having their second pick at 91 and see if they'll trade pick 46 and a future fourth round for pick 54, 56 and 63? If we get pick 20 off GC we only need to use one more pick so being able to upgrade our last pick, pick up something for nothing for next year and WC get a shot at saving their draft seems like a win for all.
Why would gc do that deal?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not possible looking out our list that a HBFer, even one that could turn in to an AA, is more valuable to OUR needs than a mercurial match-winning mid and forward threat.
In 100 out of 100 times that trade is a win for our needs.
Could be for Port it's the opposite and he's exactly what they need for their list to move forward and get better, but for us cannot see how Chad in / Burto out isn't a clear no brainer...???

The only way to clearly judge who wins that trade is by how each player performs for their new club.. I’d say, without doubt that Chad is the more talented footballer but talent doesn’t guarantee on field success, as it stands right now it’s to early to judge.

Burton is a very good footballer, perhaps he develops into a game breaking wingman? He has those traits (Nice acceleration, long kick, highly skilled), but maybe he doesn’t. Burton has 3-4 years longer in the game, it really is a hard one to judge but at this stage it looks like a decent trade for both clubs.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why not? Because last time GW tried to be smarter than he actually was with an early pick, he completely f’ed if up and pick Lovell. These top end talent are being talked about for a reason.

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have struggled with early(sh) picks for a while, we seem to be better at the back end of the draft. I don’t think we’ll be trying to guess too much this draft, take the best player eg Kemp if he’s available.

I am no fan of taking small forwards with such early picks, it’s so risky but if the club sees fit then why not.. still think it’s a fair ways away from happening, there’s many good players that will be available.

From memory we took Cyril at pick 12.

Just sayin

Although if Kemp is there at 11 that's a no brainer

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
We have struggled with early(sh) picks for a while, we seem to be better at the back end of the draft. I don’t think we’ll be trying to guess too much this draft, take the best player eg Kemp if he’s available.

We've done about average I reckon. After the top 10, the probability of picking up a 200 game player is a lot less than you might expect intuitively. As for top 10 picks, we just haven't had any for a while

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think we need to offer 2020 1st and Pick 30 that enables us to get a pick around 20 and still get Finn.

Gives us 11, Finn and 20. All to do with some timing and luck

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
And obvs get a 2020 2nd back.

Watsclarkosmob

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we need to offer 2020 1st and Pick 30 that enables us to get a pick around 20 and still get Finn.

Gives us 11, Finn and 20. All to do with some timing and luck

Where do see Finn going? Because trading for pick 20 with 30 before Finn is selected just means we use the points from 20 to get Finn. And if Finn has already been bid on, pick 30 is not available to trade. If Finn hasn't be bid on by pick 20 absolutely but I just don't see that coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We've done about average I reckon. After the top 10, the probability of picking up a 200 game player is a lot less than you might expect intuitively. As for top 10 picks, we just haven't had any for a while

People way overate the odds of getting a top player in the draft in general, even the 2001 superdraft had 7 complete misses in the top 15 and only 3 genuine guns in the top 20.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Where do see Finn going? Because trading for pick 20 with 30 before Finn is selected just means we use the points from 20 to get Finn. And if Finn has already been bid on, pick 30 is not available to trade. If Finn hasn't be bid on by pick 20 absolutely but I just don't see that coming.

we should trade a future first after the bid for Maginniss & get a couple of second rounders.
we only need points next year for Downie & upgrade a couple of rookies to fill the mandatory draft picks if necessary

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

We'd only get 20 after a bid has happened and been paid for. Or if it was the next love pick in the draft and no bid had yet been submitted.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
100% Jackson won't be there at 11

Jackson would be perfect for us though, he would be our first ruck within 2 years and McEvoy his number 2 at 33 which works well imo, but as people have said, rucks are easier to trade in as they dont have a lot of trade cost attached to them usually.

then theres the sml forw/mids in Serong, Flanders and Henry

then theres the winger in D.Stephens

then theres the half backs with run and good kicking ability in Young, Ash and Gould

then theres the inside mids in Rowell, Green and Robertson

then theres the goal kicking mid in Anderson

then theres the flexible utility/tall mid in Kemp

then theres the intercept marking def in McAsey

then the rest of the top 20/21 would consist of imo at a guess: Rivers hbf/inside mid, C.Stephens tall inside running mid, Sharp wing/hbf, Bergman forw/outside mid, Weightman sml forw, Bianco hbf, D.Williams forw

K.Pickett sml forw, has been invited to the draft so indicates he might get drafted early.

matsta1975

All Australian
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Spurs
Jackson would be perfect for us though, he would be our first ruck within 2 years and McEvoy his number 2 at 33 which works well imo, but as people have said, rucks are easier to trade in as they dont have a lot of trade cost attached to them usually.

then the theres the sml forw/mids in Serong, Flanders and Henry

then theres the winger in D.Stephens

then theres the half backs with run and good kicking ability in Young, Ash and Gould

then theres the inside mids in Rowell, Green and Robertson

then theres the goal kicking mid in Anderson

then theres the flexible utility/tall mid in Kemp

then theres the intercept marking def in McAsey

then the rest of the top 20/21 would consist of imo at a guess: Rivers hbf/inside mid, C.Stephens tall inside running mid, Sharp wing/hbf, Bergman forw/outside mid, Weightman sml forw, Bianco hbf, D.Williams forw

K.Pickett has been invited to the draft so indicates he might get drafted early.
Jackson would be a dream but will be gone 6 to 8

Hey Fellas, had you for our phantom draft which unfortunately fell apart before I could get to pick 54

Immediately sent 30 to Richmond for 38/41

- Picked up McAsey with 11

- Matched a Maginness bid at 16

- Tried desperately to get back into the first / early 2nd to get some of run n carry options available but no one would bite

- traded 42 and a future 3rd for Sydney’s pick 32. Essentially got Maginness for 42, future 3rd and 2 spot decrease.

- Took Pickett at 32

- There were some options at 54 that would have been good but didn’t get the chance

Edit: Finally rounded out the draft with Darcy Cassar at 54

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey Fellas, had you for our phantom draft which unfortunately fell apart before I could get to pick 54

Immediately sent 30 to Richmond for 38/41

- Picked up McAsey with 11

- Matched a Maginness bid at 16

- Tried desperately to get back into the first / early 2nd to get some of run n carry options available but no one would bite

- traded 42 and a future 3rd for Sydney’s pick 32. Essentially got Maginness for 42, future 3rd and 2 spot decrease.

- Took Pickett at 32

- There were some options at 54 that would have been good but didn’t get the chance
Can’t trade a future 3rd unless you trade in a future 2nd as we traded that out during trade week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back