tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Overall list changes:

OUT:
Roughead, Birchall, Pittonet, Brand, Miles, Mirra, Minchington, Mohr, Schoenmakers

IN:
Frost, Patton, Day, Finn the Human, Morris, Hartley, Jeka, Pepper

Given the form of those outgoing players I think it's pretty fair to say we've improved our list a significant amount!

Also, that's 9 out and 8 in so one more space to grab Minch again or maybe even Partington as a DFA.

Not convinced on that.. the improvement is coming from Titch being back and Lewis progressing and Worps progressing to a true elite mid. Just those list changes are very underwhelming, young kids who are flip of the coin prospects and players who have been hampered by injury or fringe. That’s the reality

Reckon we're 1 ruckman short

We have 2 ready to go, 1 developing and Mitch Lewis, Jon Patton and Tim O'Brien who can all apply themselves well in the ruck. More important things to use your list spot on.

It's counter intuitive. If we wanted to make the most of the discount we would receive on the first-round rated Downie then we should have bailed out of the first round.

There are so many players that are going to be tied to clubs that the pool is extremely diluted. We only have two now that big Sal is seemingly giving up on footy. Essentially our first pick is not worth anywhere near as much as it would otherwise have been.

We should have used the future first to get back into this draft IMO, and that was apparently the plan from the club all along. But obviously something went wrong and we weren't able to, whether we overestimated our hand or had a last minute change of heart, who knows?
Who's to say we have identified a kid for next year that should fall around our pick??

Dare I say it but I get the feeling our recruiting department have had their eye of Will Day for some time now

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not convinced on that.. the improvement is coming from Titch being back and Lewis progressing and Worps progressing to a true elite mid. Just those list changes are very underwhelming, young kids who are flip of the coin prospects and players who have been hampered by injury or fringe. That’s the reality

This is an extremely pessimistic view of the situation. We desperately needed to turn the list over at the end of this season and we have done just that.

Rough - cooked vs. Patton - Potential 40 goal KPF
Birch - cooked vs. Day - Highest pick in over a decade
Schoey - cooked vs. Frost - Best 22 KPD
Mirra - didn’t need vs. Maginness - JPK clone
Miles - useless vs. Morris - Developing small forward
Brand - handy but been on the list too long for too little progress vs. Hartley - solid backup KPD/Ruck
Mohr - useless vs. Jeka - High scope 18 year old key position player.

We have significantly lowered the age profile of the list while also improving the available depth and talent simultaneously. Perhaps everything you had ever dreamed of didn’t eventuate in one off season, but we certainly did some good work and gave the list the refreshing that it desperately needed.

We have 2 ready to go, 1 developing and Mitch Lewis, Jon Patton and Tim O'Brien who can all apply themselves well in the ruck. More important things to use your list spot on.
You don't put gems like Lewis in the ruck. Patton won't ruck. O'Brien can't do it for long periods.

If Ceglar and Big Boy go down, we've got a problem because Reeves isn't ready.

Rough, Birch, Mohr and Schoey were all cooked (Birch may have come good again), Mirra, Brand, Miles and Minch struggled to get games. To replace them, we've picked up 2 AFL ready key defenders in Frost and Hartley, a currently fit full forward with huge upside in Patton, a mid with pace and elite kicking to replace Smith/Hendo in the next couple of years and a big bodied mid who could play as early as next season in Finn. Too early to say with Jeka, Morris and Pepper, but there's got more upside than the guys delisted (at least at this point)! How can you possibly think we haven't improved our list looking at that?

Scrads

Club Legend
May 31, 2009
South Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Atlanta Hawks
Overall list changes:

OUT:
Roughead, Birchall, Pittonet, Brand, Miles, Mirra, Minchington, Mohr, Schoenmakers

IN:
Frost, Patton, Day, Finn the Human, Morris, Hartley, Jeka, Pepper

Given the form of those outgoing players I think it's pretty fair to say we've improved our list a significant amount!

Also, that's 9 out and 8 in so one more space to grab Minch again or maybe even Partington as a DFA.

Langford technically comes off our list, too.

Do we currently have 38 senior-listed players, 5 Cat A Rookies and 2 Cat B Rookies?

LRobbo

All Australian
Jan 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Love all the doomsdayers saying it’s been underwhelming.
Pretty sure none of these kids get to play a game until at least February so we are all going off vision that’s been offered up.
The club know what they are doing, we are all keyboard punters.
People find something to complain about no matter what. Astonishing

This is an extremely pessimistic view of the situation. We desperately needed to turn the list over at the end of this season and we have done just that.

Brand - handy but been on the list too long for too little progress vs. Hartley - solid backup KPD/Ruck

We have significantly lowered the age profile of the list while also improving the available depth and talent simultaneously. Perhaps everything you had ever dreamed of didn’t eventuate in one off season, but we certainly did some good work and gave the list the refreshing that it desperately needed.

Great summary SuperSic ... puts it all in perspective :thumbsu:

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

It's a matter of opinion, I would like to see runs on the board before I judge.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Who's to say we have identified a kid for next year that should fall around our pick??

Dare I say it but I get the feeling our recruiting department have had their eye of Will Day for some time now
I’m regards to Will Day I believe he’ll eventually settle into Stratton’s spot in a year or 2. Stratts unfortunately looked cooked the season gone but hopefully it was an injury that plagued him and he bounces back.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You don't put gems like Lewis in the ruck. Patton won't ruck. O'Brien can't do it for long periods.

If Ceglar and Big Boy go down, we've got a problem because Reeves isn't ready.
If we have one of ceglar and McEvoy fit we will be fielding a competitive ruck decision. If we lose both we can pick someone up in the mid season draft or just have to deal with it.

You need 1 ruck in a game so 2 and some raw/part timers is fine.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Rough, Birch, Mohr and Schoey were all cooked (Birch may have come good again), Mirra, Brand, Miles and Minch struggled to get games. To replace them, we've picked up 2 AFL ready key defenders in Frost and Hartley, a currently fit full forward with huge upside in Patton, a mid with pace and elite kicking to replace Smith/Hendo in the next couple of years and a big bodied mid who could play as early as next season in Finn. Too early to say with Jeka, Morris and Pepper, but there's got more upside than the guys delisted (at least at this point)! How can you possibly think we haven't improved our list looking at that?

Totally agree that we have improved mate. However, in an alternate universe I can't shake the feeling that without the interference of Gil we also managed to add Coniglio and also Noah Anderson if Deano had've racked up another 20 more games for us. You could only imagine how worried everyone would be that Rowell would be asking for a trade in a couple of years.

Still I am very content with all our additions with the only exception being that it would've been great to land another 2nd rounder to snag Sharpe or at the very least a small forward.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was too busy to comment online last night.....WHAT THE fu**?! We position ourselves to be able to pick up three players in the top 30 and we couldn't get it done, this draft was an absolute disaster there is no way we can look back and believe we achieved anything other than picking Maginness up....Poor form Hawthorn, poor form.

That's just super poor mate..
Maybe save it for people who want the worst to be true about the HFC.........try the main board?

Last edited:
I don't get the angst about not having used next years first round to trade. 1, we can still trade it for an established player next year, and 2, we can still select a great kid in the first round next year.

I'm also confused about the hype on this draft a little. I heard it was the best in a long time, but at the same time apparently the least amount of kids got drafted than in many recent drafts (perhaps ever?).

I'm fairly comfortable with where we're headed. I think we've again, improved the quality of our list this year. Barring injuries to key players we should be playing finals.

Do we have just one spot left for SSP or more? Did we fill every rookie spot?

It leaves Adelaide, Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn and West Coast with openings that can be used in the SSP or NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft. ....Delisted Hawk Darren Minchington has been training at Waverley Park in the possibility of earning a lifeline, while they've also shown interest in Magarey medallist Luke Partington (pictured).

One extra Cat A pick for us then, assuming we don’t want to upgrade CJ to it like others have suggested

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To me it looks like we drafted for marking power.

Seems to be a reoccurring theme with our past few drafts. Most of the players we've been drafting players are either excellent contested marks (Lewis, Kosi, Walker, Day, Morris, Jeka) or still capable overhead (Worpel, Ross, Moore, Maginness, Greaves). Most of our recent trade recruits are also great marks (Impey, Wingard, Scrimshaw, Patton, Frost).

It seems we want to emphasise beating our opponents aerially for both offensive and defensive purposes.

Back