List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Emerson is a 197cm KPP who's year didn't go to plan. He started the season as a potential first round pick but some wavering form and a mid season knee injury has seen him fall down the draft order. Despite that, there is undeniable talent there. He is a contested marking machine, capable of clunking marks under pressure and in pack situations. He is a decent athlete, leads hard up the ground, has good agility and has impressive pace to create seperation on his opponent. At the moment he looks best as a CHF where he can lead up the ground more, but he can play closer to goal and even down back which he did for Western during the year.

Where he lets himself down is his kicking for goal can be troublesome, as well as not attacking the ball as well as he could on occasion. Even though he is a great contested mark, he doesn't fly for his marks as often as he could and sometimes waits for the ball to hit the ground in contests.
Love this pick, reckon clarko and co might be searching for David Hale mk 2

Seems to be a reoccurring theme with our past few drafts. Most of the players we've been drafting players are either excellent contested marks (Lewis, Kosi, Walker, Day, Morris, Jeka) or still capable overhead (Worpel, Ross, Moore, Maginness, Greaves). Most of our recent trade recruits are also great marks (Impey, Wingard, Scrimshaw, Patton, Frost).

It seems we want to emphasise beating our opponents aerially for both offensive and defensive purposes.
Strong marks and elite kicking. AC is setting this team up nicely.

GC gave up future pick10ish for 27.

If that's the going price to get back into this draft it's no wonder we didn't trade back in.

GC gave up future pick10ish for 27.

If that's the going price to get back into this draft it's no wonder we didn't trade back in.

Its a ridiculous precedent to set regarding draft pick value.

The AFL should not have signed off on the trade as it only further dilutes the the draft integrity until the skewed version is back on a level playing field.
oh wait... there will be more teams added to the AFL that will also need propping.

The afl world had better get used to the idea of a stacked deck for quite some time.
Take what you can get & keep moving forward

I am intrigued by the last remaining rookie spot on our list.
Is it Minchington's to lose? Fully fit and with some continuity, he plays senior football IMO.

I must say that I am surprised that no club thought Luke Partington worth a spot.
He would be in the top 6 mids at 10 clubs by round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am intrigued by the last remaining rookie spot on our list.
Is it Minchington's to lose? Fully fit and with some continuity, he plays senior football IMO.

I must say that I am surprised that no club thought Luke Partington worth a spot.
He would be in the top 6 mids at 10 clubs by round 1.
We are looking at Partington
got this from the afl site

Delisted Hawk Darren Minchington has been training at Waverley Park in the possibility of earning a lifeline, while they've also shown interest in Magarey medallist Luke Partington .
I hope we do pick Luke up.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep. You gotta wonder whether Clarko is devising a plan to counter Richmond’s game style.

Mastering the art of creating and negating intercept marking.

An art teacher can improve an artist technique a lot easier than they can improve an artist timing.
Some things you just caught be taught.

Delisted Hawk Darren Minchington has been training at Waverley Park in the possibility of earning a lifeline, while they've also shown interest in Magarey medallist Luke Partington .
I hope we do pick Luke up.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

From my understanding Partington is an inside and outside mid with a bit of pace and that's something that we could use. Whilst Mitchington fits a positional need for us I suspect that Partington has more upside. He does have a Margarey Medal after being delisted so he's worked hard from a kick in the guts.

The elephant in the room is why we did not pick Kemp. Many people in this chat wanted him.

I liked Kemp for what he could be... but clearly the Hawks did not like him as much as they did Day because of one of many reasons ... Kemp’s injury and likely rehab prospects, his position within the team, or maybe something less tangible...

My oath Day is skinny. But you can see his footy IQ And poise. Combined with his double sided quality skills, speed, and marking ability he Is pretty certain to be a long term Hawthorn player in a position. So I give this a big tick.

A quick analysis of the last 13 years of top 10s (not including the last 3 years).... more than 30% are not Best 22 players. Kemp clearly has the talent, but IF he is up against a guy his size and stronger.. say, Cripps in the centre, would he crumble? None of us know. Just saying, There are intangibles.

Day has everything other than the muscle and strength to compete at AFL level. I really like him as our choice.
I think most people felt if either Kemp/Robertson available, we would pounce, but we did not. One option I proposed splitting pick 11 for later draft picks, at the time Adelaide's picks 23,28,37 looked good along with our 30,42. As it turned out bid came at 29, so we would use 30 on Finn. I am no expert but Rivers at pick 32 seems good enough a choice as Day except better developed. I probably would have gone with attempt at multiple good players like Sharp(27)/rivers(32)/maginess (bid 29)/Bianco (44)/Ralphsmiths (45) as examples. If you are not particular there were good players in the 23-45 range.

To answer your question, I think the club was particular and wanted Day badly. Most of attack starts from backline, to have a guy who can play on both sides, able to mark strongly, quick transition out of backline, catch forwards like Patton one out or our small clever forwards in critical like Sicily. It also did not want to use high enough pick on Maginess, so moved second round to next year. Its strategy is to have more picks next year. It is all like a game of chess. Everyone has a different way to achieve success. For the romantic / sentimental in us could not get better than grandfather/son and father/son selection, could not have script that better, now hope they develop nicely.

I think most people felt if either Kemp/Robertson available, we would pounce, but we did not. One option I proposed splitting pick 11 for later draft picks, at the time Adelaide's picks 23,28,37 looked good along with our 30,42. As it turned out bid came at 29, so we would use 30 on Finn. I am no expert but Rivers at pick 32 seems good enough a choice as Day except better developed. I probably would have gone with attempt at multiple good players like Sharp(27)/rivers(32)/maginess (bid 29)/Bianco (44)/Ralphsmiths (45) as examples. If you are not particular there were good players in the 23-45 range.

To answer your question, I think the club was particular and wanted Day badly. Most of attack starts from backline, to have a guy who can play on both sides, able to mark strongly, quick transition out of backline, catch forwards like Patton one out or our small clever forwards in critical like Sicily. It also did not want to use high enough pick on Maginess, so moved second round to next year. Its strategy is to have more picks next year. It is all like a game of chess. Everyone has a different way to achieve success. For the romantic / sentimental in us could not get better than grandfather/son and father/son selection, could not have script that better, now hope they develop nicely.

thats my take. In the end we could have used our original picks pretty much as they were, but they traded to cover for an early bud on finn, plus generated some draft picks next year, for some reason which will be clearer in a years time.
maybe to trade for established players, or if many clubs have academy targets already, perhals a smokey can be sneaked through

The north trade is the one that makes no sense, keeping 30 would have given us options and with the late mail being Finn wouldn't receive a bid until the second round we could have waited.

Day 2 comes and As an example essendon trade 35 +50 to get down to 30 I think. We could have quite easily used 30 + 54 I think we had to get into the mid 20s and had a chance at a Jones, Robertson , Taylor , Sharpe and our draft haul would look that much more impressive . I'd say the clubs would have had a fair indication of the first few players picked day 2 because goldcost flying dew over to Perth when 5 teams picked in front of them wouldn't just happen unless they had guarentees Sharpe wpuld be there .

Overall I'm happy with day and maginness but getting a year into another top 30 prospect would have been ideal with a few players like to retire come seasons end.

The north trade is the one that makes no sense, keeping 30 would have given us options and with the late mail being Finn wouldn't receive a bid until the second round we could have waited.

Day 2 comes and As an example essendon trade 35 +50 to get down to 30 I think. We could have quite easily used 30 + 54 I think we had to get into the mid 20s and had a chance at a Jones, Robertson , Taylor , Sharpe and our draft haul would look that much more impressive . I'd say the clubs would have had a fair indication of the first few players picked day 2 because goldcost flying dew over to Perth when 5 teams picked in front of them wouldn't just happen unless they had guarentees Sharpe wpuld be there .

Overall I'm happy with day and maginness but getting a year into another top 30 prospect would have been ideal with a few players like to retire come seasons end.
Great!
Let's just go back in time and fix it, now that we know for sure Finn won't be taken in the first round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back