Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

So if we finish bottom we can play hard ball for Kelly right? If they demand pick one we say no, if he wants to come to us and no one else he will go in the preseason draft and we will get him anyway....or am i missing something?

https://outline.com/ZzjMjy

Top AFL draft prospects Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson rated ‘better than Sam Walsh’, says Leigh Montagna

Two of this year’s top AFL draft prospects have been rated ‘better than Sam Walsh’ by some recruiters.

Former St Kilda on-baller Leigh Montagna, who works as an opposition analyst for Fremantle, said recruiters had told him Oakleigh Chargers pair Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson were expected to eclipse Carlton’s No. 1 pick Walsh.

Rowell, who was named best on ground as the Under-18 academy defeated VFL team Casey Demons last weekend, is a tough midfielder who has been likened to Joel Selwood.

He has delivered two standout performances in three games for Oakleigh in the NAB league and was named best afield in a losing team in last year’s Under-18 grand final after tallying collecting 32 disposals and seven inside 50s.

Anderson, who missed out on being eligible as a father-son pick to Hawthorn by 17 games, has also been touted as a top pick.

“My understanding, speaking to recruiters, is that picks one and two in this year’s draft … they are both better than Sam Walsh,” Montagna said.

“Then there’s a bit of a gap. So you want to be finishing bottom-two and get that pick, as opposed to the rest.

“That’s how big a pick it could be for a club that finishes bottom two this year.”

Walsh a short-priced AFL Rising Star favourite, started his career with the best four-game stretch of any player since ranking points were introduced in 2003 and has averaged 26 disposals, three tackles and six marks.

Asked on Fox Footy whether the tag of a potential No. 1 draft pick fazed him, Rowell said: “I guess you can look at it like it’s a bit of pressure. But I just love playing footy and I don’t worry about all those things on the outside.”

In October last year, outgoing Oakleigh Chargers talent manager Craig Notman said the hype around Rowell was warranted.

“The talk of being a top five draft pick or even a little bit closer to the top of the draft table at this point in time is very well warranted,” he said.

“He just doesn’t do anything wrong.”

The Chargers have said Anderson, also an on-baller, is “just so composed when he gets the ball in his hands”.

Montagna said the talent levels of players such as Rowell and Anderson could create a trade frenzy in this year’s draft.

“There is incentive this year to be getting picks one or two and you might even see some amazing trades to get up in the draft order to potentially get there,” he said on Triple M.

Carlton last year traded its first pick in this year’s draft in a swap with Adelaide to secure Morrish Medal winner Liam Stocker at selection No. 19.

https://outline.com/ZzjMjy

Top AFL draft prospects Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson rated ‘better than Sam Walsh’, says Leigh Montagna

Two of this year’s top AFL draft prospects have been rated ‘better than Sam Walsh’ by some recruiters.

Former St Kilda on-baller Leigh Montagna, who works as an opposition analyst for Fremantle, said recruiters had told him Oakleigh Chargers pair Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson were expected to eclipse Carlton’s No. 1 pick Walsh.

Rowell, who was named best on ground as the Under-18 academy defeated VFL team Casey Demons last weekend, is a tough midfielder who has been likened to Joel Selwood.

He has delivered two standout performances in three games for Oakleigh in the NAB league and was named best afield in a losing team in last year’s Under-18 grand final after tallying collecting 32 disposals and seven inside 50s.

Anderson, who missed out on being eligible as a father-son pick to Hawthorn by 17 games, has also been touted as a top pick.

“My understanding, speaking to recruiters, is that picks one and two in this year’s draft … they are both better than Sam Walsh,” Montagna said.

“Then there’s a bit of a gap. So you want to be finishing bottom-two and get that pick, as opposed to the rest.

“That’s how big a pick it could be for a club that finishes bottom two this year.”

Walsh a short-priced AFL Rising Star favourite, started his career with the best four-game stretch of any player since ranking points were introduced in 2003 and has averaged 26 disposals, three tackles and six marks.

Asked on Fox Footy whether the tag of a potential No. 1 draft pick fazed him, Rowell said: “I guess you can look at it like it’s a bit of pressure. But I just love playing footy and I don’t worry about all those things on the outside.”

In October last year, outgoing Oakleigh Chargers talent manager Craig Notman said the hype around Rowell was warranted.

“The talk of being a top five draft pick or even a little bit closer to the top of the draft table at this point in time is very well warranted,” he said.

“He just doesn’t do anything wrong.”

The Chargers have said Anderson, also an on-baller, is “just so composed when he gets the ball in his hands”.

Montagna said the talent levels of players such as Rowell and Anderson could create a trade frenzy in this year’s draft.

“There is incentive this year to be getting picks one or two and you might even see some amazing trades to get up in the draft order to potentially get there,” he said on Triple M.

Carlton last year traded its first pick in this year’s draft in a swap with Adelaide to secure Morrish Medal winner Liam Stocker at selection No. 19.
We will rally and finish 3rd. Picking some bolter who would’ve gone in the 15-20 range.

Just a quick question boys & girls , Not sure if this has been done before but would the good folk of big footy be interested in a get together on draft night at a venue of some sorts to watch it all unfold . Given that we will almost certainly have a top 4 draft pick or even the clubs first ever no1 pick that would of some if not a lot of interest to all of us .

A genuine chat about footy and our club over a few brewski’s would make a good night .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Rowell has been compared to Joel Selwood and Lachie Neale

MATTHEW ROWELL

Club: Oakleigh Chargers, Vic Metro

Position: Midfielder

Size: 180cm, 73kg

Champion Data player comparison: Lachie Neale

Trent Bianco - 41 disposals , 4 marks, 8 tackles, 8 I50s, 7 R50s for Oakleigh today.

Info on Trent:

TRENT BIANCO

Club: Oakleigh Chargers, Vic Metro

Position: Midfielder

Size: 178cm, 70kg

Champion Data player comparison: Lachie Weller

Foxfooty.com.au says: A full year in the NAB League without school football commitments will certainly do Bianco well as he pushes for first-round honours. The midfielder averaged 22.2 disposals in his 14 TAC Cup games last season, including collecting 17 disposals in the Grand Final. Bianco works hard up and down the ground, with the ability to hit the scoreboard if required. He possesses some tricks and might be one of the rapid improvers during the season, given he wasn’t part of Vic Metro’s Under 18 Championships squad in 2018.

Book us in for pick 3.

If we finish 18th this year we should trade Ben10 to whoever finishes 17th to get Rowell and Anderson with picks 1 and 2.

Throw LDU and Jed into Ben10’s full time role and set our midfield up for the next 10 years.
I would trade cunners too. He's more tradeable than brown and Higgins.

But at 28/29, he's probably got only 3/4 years left of good footy.

Worth about pick 13-18 range I think. He might suit Geelong or Sydney.

I would trade cunners too. He's more tradeable than brown and Higgins.

But at 28/29, he's probably got only 3/4 years left of good footy.

Worth about pick 13-18 range I think. He might suit Geelong or Sydney.
If Shiel, Treloar & co got two first rounders then the best inside mid in the game right now should demand a top 2 pick minimum, in fact we should get a late 1st/early 2nd rounder as change minimum.

GWS got Ryan Griffen and Pick 6 for a buyer beware Tom Boyd.

The ONLY reason Ben10 should be in trade talks is if we going to entrench ourselves fair and squarely into the top 2 picks otherwise he stays.

If Shiel, Treloar & co got two first rounders then the best inside mid in the game right now should demand a top 2 pick minimum, in fact we should get a late 1st/early 2nd rounder as change minimum.

GWS got Ryan Griffen and Pick 6 for a buyer beware Tom Boyd.

The ONLY reason Ben10 should be in trade talks is if we going to entrench ourselves fair and squarely into the top 2 picks otherwise he stays.
No club is coughing up a pick in the top 10 for an inside mid that isn't very good at spreading who has 4 years left.

The players you mentioned can spread from the contest. We might get pick 10-15 but we'd have to send back a 3rd or 4th rounder.

But agree that Anderson, LDU, Rowell (?), Tyson, Ahern and hopefully Jacobs can cover the grunt if Cunnington can net us another first rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back