krakouers85

Senior List
Sep 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Claremont
Would be interesting how we assessed him?

I can't see Luke Partington picked up by anyone. Goes to show, there was a bit of hyping up on here that we'd need to throw a national pick on him. Yet he wanders off undrafted.
Think his wrestling debut may have put clubs off? Hindsight is a wonderful thing

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can see why we picked Mahoney but imo there's a very good chance he joins the growing list of guys who are too small and slow to make it at AFL level. No problem with our other picks though, was hoping we'd take Perez with 47

Ether

Rookie
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1. You can only make the trades that are available to be made. You can't make other clubs want Mason Wood enough to trade good pick for him, and you simply don't get an offer like the one we got from the Deez very often.
We fleeced Melbourne no matter what and the likelihood of that pick being 15-18 is pretty slim. After the first 5-6 picks, truly elite talent isn't that common in the rest of the first round. I don't have time now but if you look at picks 7-10 over the last decade there's a lot more B+ than A+ players. The ones we would have been really salivating over - Ash, Young, Jackson, Stephens - were all gone.
If the top ten next year are as good as last year's, as Pykie suugests, any pick in the top ten will be gold. Chance of a big win on the Deez deal.

Kangas_11

Team Captain
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
How the hell is he getting paid to do this?

"Will walk away thinking they've done as well as they could with their picks"

No shit idiot, they picked who they thought was best on their board at their picks.

Literally the most useless analysis I've ever seen.

Boomer29er

The Joker
Dec 18, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wizards, Tottenham, 49ers
How the hell is he getting paid to do this?

"Will walk away thinking they've done as well as they could with their picks"

No shit idiot, they picked who they thought was best on their board at their picks.

Literally the most useless analysis I've ever seen.
Wasn’t this the w***er that said North should try to draft star players? Wow, I wonder if it ever occurred to our recruiting department to try and recruit star players. It must be so easy to get into journalism these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giantroo

Bleeding Blue and White
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
North Melbourne

North Melbourne through their exchange of picks with Essendon slightly worsened their draft hand but improved their draft hand for 2020 by securing Essendon's 2020 second round choice. Charlie Comben with the club's first selection is a speculative choice given the attributes he possesses as a 199cm, strong marking key forward, but with his injury history and averaging less than one goal per game in the NAB League and Under-18 Championships it is a hard sell taking him so early. Jack Mahony is the more solid of North Melbourne's selections as a ready-to-go small forward who can crumb and play a role from season one. Flynn Perez is a second speculative selection and a second prospect arguably taken too early. Perez missed 2019 having torn his ACL during the preseason and while quick and a good ball user he plays a very outside game and struggles to win his own ball.

Grade: C

Merlin007

Rookie
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So my two cents worth.... a curate's egg, good in parts, and concerning in others. First off, like Groin Guru I hope Comben, Mahony and Perez each play 200 games, and leave me regretting ever making this post, but! I just don't like some of the decision-making...

The Good:

1. The trade with Essendon - gave up little this year, given we were taking Walker as DFA and therefore 47 was no loss, and the shift back to 35 didn't have any material downside
2. Mahony at 34 - he might not have pace, but Champion Data has him ranked 14 (third highest rank player at the 2019 national champs), so at 34, he has to be considered a good deal, an obviously fills a structural gap.

The Maybe:

3. Comben - had a good year, but injury prone and still needs to grow a tad for genuine ruck height. However, even if you wanted him, why take him as our first pick - Melbourne (next in line) were never going to take him having opted for Jackson, and the Brisbane list doesn't need a ruck (Martin, McInerney and two ruck rookies).

The Inexplicable:

4. Perez - I hope the kid brains it, I really do. The issue here isn't the boy, but the club's decision-making; they've passed on a known quantity - Elijah Taylor, an All Australian - on someone who no-one can be sure of, because he hasn't been seen in 12 months, and the 'vibe' on which the hunch is based is one celebrity game (his stats for Bendigo as an under-ager don't leap out). I know all about recruiter's instincts etc etc, but it's also a business and I can't see any serious business taking a risk on an unknown quantity when a known product is the alternative.

And I'm not sure about others, but watching the North room in action had a whiff of panic about it

Last edited:

the flying ham

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So my two cents worth.... a curate's egg, good in parts, and concerning in others. First off, like Groin Guru I hope Comben, Mahony and Perez each play 200 games, and leave me regretting ever making this post, but! I just don't like some of the decision-making...

The Good:

1. The trade with Essendon - gave up little this year, given we were taking Walker as DFA and therefore 47 was no loss, and the shift back to 35 didn't have any material downside
2. Mahony at 34 - he might not have pace, but Champion Data has him ranked 14 (third highest rank player at the 2019 national champs), so at 34, he has to be considered a good deal, an obviously fills a structural gap.

The Maybe:

3. Comben - had a good year, but injury prone and still needs to grow a tad for genuine ruck height. However, even if you wanted him, why take him as our first pick - Melbourne (next in line) were never going to take him having opted for Jackson, and the Brisbane list doesn't need a ruck (Martin, McInerney and two ruck rookies).

The Inexplicable:

4. Perez - I hope the kid brains it, I really do. The issue here isn't the boy, but the club's decision-making; they've passed on a known quantity - Elijah Taylor, an All Australian - on someone who no-one can be sure of, because he hasn't been seen in 12 months, and the 'vibe' on which the hunch is based is one celebrity game (his stats for Bendigo as an under-ager don't leap out). I know all about recruiter's instincts etc etc, but it's also a business and I can't see any serious business taking a risk on an unknown quantity when a known product is the alternative.

And I'm not sure about others, but watching the North room in action had a whiff of panic about it
They are all maybes merlin

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tas

Premium Gold
Dec 23, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There can be only one...
It is a shame we didn't have this recruitment team last year, not afraid to move picks around. I felt we could have done a lot more last year given we had a better hand, were chasing academy/father-son players and were moving on a couple of players that had some value.

andana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is a shame we didn't have this recruitment team last year, not afraid to move picks around. I felt we could have done a lot more last year given we had a better hand, were chasing academy/father-son players and were moving on a couple of players that had some value.
We need to set up a team to spend the next 12 months figuring out various ways to get around and generally scam the whole draft process.

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
North Melbourne

North Melbourne through their exchange of picks with Essendon slightly worsened their draft hand but improved their draft hand for 2020 by securing Essendon's 2020 second round choice. Charlie Comben with the club's first selection is a speculative choice given the attributes he possesses as a 199cm, strong marking key forward, but with his injury history and averaging less than one goal per game in the NAB League and Under-18 Championships it is a hard sell taking him so early. Jack Mahony is the more solid of North Melbourne's selections as a ready-to-go small forward who can crumb and play a role from season one. Flynn Perez is a second speculative selection and a second prospect arguably taken too early. Perez missed 2019 having torn his ACL during the preseason and while quick and a good ball user he plays a very outside game and struggles to win his own ball.

Grade: C

I promise you knightmare has never seen Perez play.

After berating him last year we found out he’d never seen Thomas in any game other than the ones he played for the Allies.

He only watches the championships, bullshits his way through the rest.

The Filth Wizard

These Meats Are Spoiled
Jul 26, 2007
The Throne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Gold City Royals

The Good:

The Maybe:

The Inexplicable:

In fairness mate there are no known quantities, there's prospects and once you hit picks in the thirties every player there has the same prospects.

For me, and seeing/hearing some of the stuff afterwards, North knew exactly what players they were going to draft and that probably would have only changed with a Gould or the like still on the board unexpectedly (in the end, they weren't).

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Wells turned back the clock.

Turned Kelly into Cooper Stephens, Sam De Koning and Cam Taheney.

They also hold 3 x first rounders next year including a locked in #11, which may end up better than the Melbourne pick.

TennisPlayerAndy

Klay Thompson's Jumpshot
Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW
Wells turned back the clock.

Turned Kelly into Cooper Stephens, Sam De Koning and Cam Taheney.

They also hold 3 x first rounders next year including a locked in #11, which may end up better than the Melbourne pick.
Genuinely farcical that that trade went through.

Top Bottom