Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW, I reckon the list is a pretty good assessment.

The Bulldogs should probably be around 5th, and you can throw a blanket over the remaining 4 in the top 5.

Brisbane & Port have claims over Geelong who MUST start to wane around now, even with their significant home ground advantage.

Quite a few of us thought the list should push top 4 last season. Granted that was before Maj did his thing but it was a reasonable expectation and Shaw's coaching seemed to support the idea.

I reckon we should be around where the Dogs are. The top 4 shouldn't have them in it. There is a clear top 4 then maybe another 4- 6 we'd be part of.

It reflects our results I spose. A list that should be pushing the top 4 failing to make the 8. Certainly a good reason to clean out the footy department.

Comments from each of the club's talent managers

BENDIGO PIONEERS

Comments from Talent Manager Stephen Sharp

FLYNN PEREZ (no.35 to North Melbourne): “Flynn had a great season last year and worked really hard with his rehab from an ACL injury this year. He demonstrated his preparedness to knuckle down and do the work, as well as looking at other ways he could improve his leadership and teamsmanship.

“He’s missed a year of footy, but he’s in pretty good nick. I think he could be an outside midfielder/defender at the elite level. He can win his own footy, but he has good skills on both sides of his body and that should stand him in good stead in those roles.”

GIPPSLAND POWER

Comments from Head Coach Rhett McLennan

CHARLIE COMBEN (no.31 to North Melbourne): “Charlie’s rapid development was the thing that really caught everyone’s eye this year. When we saw him in the pre-season, we thought he’d be a perfect 19-year-old player (in 2020), so if his development continues trending upwards like it has from last year then the sky’s the limit.

“His hands are sensational when he marks the footy – his big bucket hands wrap around the ball and they don’t move – but he also has some really good ruck craft and a lot of determination to compete. I think he’ll primarily be a forward who plays a little bit in the ruck.”

TASMANIA DEVILS

Comments from Talent Manager Craig Notman

MATT McGUINNESS (NGA rookie signing by North Melbourne): “The most impressive thing with Matt is he returned as a 19-year-old this year and made the most of the opportunity. I don’t think he had a bad game over the course of the season. He found plenty of the footy, uses it exceptionally well by foot and has some really good footy smarts.

“I think he showed this year that he can play a number of different roles, but he played predominantly back for us and I think we saw his best footy as a defender. A half-back role suits his strengths.”

SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS

Comments from Talent Manager Mark Wheeler

JACK MAHONY (no.34 to North Melbourne): “‘Professional’ is all I can say about Jack. It was unfortunate he got injured late in the season; he was our most missed player in the finals. He ticks every box and did enough this year to show everyone he’s a smaller player with great hands and skills that were above the level.

“He definitely has a footy brain, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he pops up for an AFL game or two next year. I think he’s a midfielder in the long run, because he’s smart with his ball use and he sees the game unfold before it does.”

For some reason I couldn’t jump to the end of the thread. Every time I tried, I just kept being taken to page one.

So I figured I’d try posting, to see if I could get to the last page.

Just to relieve the boredom of the offseason I’m reading every teams draft thread from the first draft day until the last post.

Yours is hilarious. Especially since your club didn’t draft any of players you guys wanted. A couple of definite money ball picks there.

I would love to know what the Lions offer was for your pick 31 that your recruiting team turned down.

If it included pick 33 I don’t understand the logic of rejecting any trade, because neither us (Brisbane) or Melbourne were taking Comben, so you still most likely would have drafted the same 3 players. Brisbane was after Trent Rivers.

For some reason I couldn’t jump to the end of the thread. Every time I tried, I just kept being taken to page one.

Just to relieve the boredom of the offseason I’m reading every teams draft thread from the first draft day until the last post.

Yours is hilarious. Especially since your club didn’t draft any of players you guys wanted. A couple of definite money ball picks there.

I would love to know what the Lions offer was for your pick 31 that your recruiting team turned down.

If it included pick 33 I don’t understand the logic of rejecting any trade, because neither us (Brisbane) or Melbourne were taking Comben, so you still most likely would have drafted the same 3 players. Brisbane was after Trent Rivers.
Wait you just read 184 pages? And you're going to do that on another 16 team boards?

I would have literally collapsed if I didn't get your opinion on our draft. It means SO much to me.

Did the bears recruit anyone who can flop better than McInerney or pinch better than Zorko?

You fool. The real laughs are found in our trade threads.

How does “moneyball” apply to an 18yo kid who’s just been drafted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You fool. The real laughs are found in our trade threads.
images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is this Brisbane pick 31 talk from? Hadn't heard it.

How does “moneyball” apply to an 18yo kid who’s just been drafted?

Moneyball is usually a comedic or derogatory term applied to analytics in sports.

For reference, I’m a big fan of analytics in sport.

I’m not here for point scoring (not usually a recipe for success when on an oppo board), or sh!t stirring. If you want a genuine discussion, I’m happy to engage.

I’d say drafting Jack Mahony was an analytics based pick. Though in fairness, predraft the 30/35 pick range wasn’t the best spot the be picking, as it’s about where the talent was perceived to drop off, and teams would look to draft for need, rather than best available.

Over all I found your boards discussion predraft pretty spot on, and inline with my view of your picks before the draft.

I’ve also read your boards 2020 draft thread. Some pretty good discussion about next years draft pool there, if you can get past your nga zone persecution complex. :p

Where is this Brisbane pick 31 talk from? Hadn't heard it.
It’s mentioned in the Melbourne draft videos, 2nd video when they thought North was on the phone to Brisbane, when you were on the clock at pick 31, and Melbourne thought Brisbane was going to jump them, and draft Trent Rivers, who Melbourne wanted (and got) at pick 32.

Moneyball is usually a comedic or derogatory term applied to analytics in sports.

I’m not here for point scoring (not usually a recipe for success when on an oppo board), or sh!t stirring. If you want a genuine discussion, I’m happy to engage.

I’d say drafting Jack Mahony was an analytics based pick. Though in fairness, predraft the 30/35 pick range wasn’t the best spot the be picking, as it’s about where the talent was perceived to drop off, and teams would look to draft for need, rather than best available.

Over all I found your boards discussion predraft pretty spot on, and inline with my view of your picks before the draft.

I’ve also read your boards 2020 draft thread. Some pretty good discussion about next years draft pool there, if you can get past your nga zone persecution complex. :p

Your initial post seemed to be aimed at getting a reaction rather than discussion. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt though that you’re not just a lippy Brisbane fan after 1 good year.

The club have stated that they believed it was quite an even draft after the first 6 or so picks. I don’t pretend to know the draftees as well as our recruiters (no one posting on an Internet forum would) so I’d defer to their belief.

Mahoney looks to be a needs based pick. Comben and Perez look to be high ceiling picks with Perez fitting a definite need down the track as well. No one knows if we’ve nailed it or ****ed up. Won’t know for years.

It would seem that no one that matters has a NGA persecution complex as we’ve traded right into it.

I really wouldn’t think applying the term “Moneyball” to our drafting of Mahoney is anymore or less relevant than to any other drafted players. Statistical metrics are used to draft all players. Highest ranked player available in a place we have a list hole (actually one of the higesy ranked players in the draft).

Perez missed a year so I don’t honk he fits the other “Moneyball” pick given lack of metrics available. Comben is nothing special statistically but was drafted on potential, again not “moneyball” related.

Not sure money ball can apply to a draft. Moneyball would be trading Goldy while we had preuss for Maximum gain. Or bringing in a solid Defender in Walker in a spot we are vulnerable in with injuries.

Moneyball and untried 18 year old kids makes literally no sense whatsoever. Especially when the general public have absolutely no idea of the pecking order each club had for the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was in agreement with everything until the NGA bit.

Don't kid yourself, it's Mickey Mouse bullshit.

Your initial post seemed to be aimed at getting a reaction rather than discussion. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt though that you’re not just a lippy Brisbane fan after 1 good year.

The club have stated that they believed it was quite an even draft after the first 6 or so picks. I don’t pretend to know the draftees as well as our recruiters (no one posting on an Internet forum would) so I’d defer to their belief.

Mahoney looks to be a needs based pick. Comben and Perez look to be high ceiling picks with Perez fitting a definite need down the track as well. No one knows if we’ve nailed it or f’ed up. Won’t know for years.

It would seem that no one that matters has a NGA persecution complex as we’ve traded right into it.

I was replying to a post. Bit of banter, bit of an explanation what I was doing here.

More than happy to admit I know nothing about Norths list/draft needs, and that the professionals know more than me.

I just thought (and a few of your own posters said the same at the time of draft 30 odd pages back) there were a couple of players still on board at your picks that appeared to have slipped from a tier above.

But, by the same token at pick 33 Brisbane drafted for need as well.

Personally I thought Nick Bryan was a better ruck option if you wanted a developing ruck, but hasn’t shown the ability to play up forward that Comben has.

I also believe looking for a tall prospect in the first round next year would have been a better option than picking a tall outside the first round in this years draft.

I was hoping Perez would be on board at the Lions third pick (and that * hadn’t bid on one of our academy prospects the pick before). So no knock on the Perez selection.

Mostly I’m not sold on Jack Mahony, for much the same/similar reasons posters have used to explain why Bianco slid. Most noticeable he lacks pace for the position he’s going to be asked to play, and he lacks penetration/distance on his kicking.

I was in agreement with everything until the NGA bit.

Don't kid yourself, it's Mickey Mouse bullshit.
Oh, I’m fully on board that the nga’s are bs. You only have to visit the draft and trade board to read my opinions on that.

Without making it personal, kids line Tarryn Thomas and Quaynor highlighted the micky mouse aspect, in that neither North or Collingwood put any serious development in to either player in the 15 months between setting up your nga academies and drafting those two players.

So far the nga’s have been about identifying talent already in the pathways and rorting the system, rather than going out and bringing in kids new to the game and developing them outside the traditional pathways.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back